Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 V6 thermostat housing "leaking" and quoted costs

Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 V6 thermostat housing "leaking" and quoted costs

I went in to get some minor things tweaked on the sled.

They proactively quoted a coolant leaking thermostat housing and quoted me 1018 to fix, 850 for labor and 168 for parts( as a previous jeep owner I want zero theromstat/radiator/coolant issues)

and the valve cover gasket is leaking oil, 800 labor and 30 for parts..........

I feel like going to another indy shop will get the labor down.

I am used to getting labor for usually double to parts cost....

anyone have an insight since these are VR6 motors???

Common, it's still cheaper to fix than buying a new car.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

For those inquiring of this...........I ended up just getting my coolant flushed and cleaned everything up. There have not been any other shops notice a leak etc.

There has never been any overheating issues like when you notice a thermostat is freezing up and the coolant stops moving. I have had the car thoroughly looked over recently and now I can saw I am pretty hacked off about this "proactive" work recommended.

and that I can get the gasket work done for like 300 bucks in labor with the tear down etc.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I thought you had an S.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

No sir......been running a Base for 8 years. Now my neighborhood mechanic I just found in the past year has made me want to pick up another one......his 40 dollar an hour labor and 2 generations of shop ownership have me feeling bulletproof.

I really wouldnt mind finding a turbo that needs work on the typical stuff..........just noting above 350mm on the brake side.

I think that is a bottleneck in costs for the future even "sub it yourself" work...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Okay here's my situation with my 2006 Cayenne V6 ~57,000 miles on it.

Two years ago the local dealer said I should replace the hose connecting from Oil cooler to engine block but it was not that big so I could wait. ~$1065 quoted

Last year the same dealer said the leak was not there anymore but the crusting of the coolant was still so no biggie.

This year at a local independent shop, I was told that my thermostat housing is leaking and I should replace it along with the thermostat. ~$995

I am going to another local shop to get a third opinion and take cordsig79's lead and just get a coolant flush.

By the way, no sign of increase in temperature or coolant on the ground. I am really confused but I am glad you all are there to listen! :-)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Okay so yesterday I took the Cayenne to Status Autosports in Huntington Beach and Milo over there showed me the crusting just outside the sensor of the Thermostat housing. He'll get back to me today with a quote. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the sensor in the blind w/o removing the transmission?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Default no leaks

So Milo at Status Autosports in Huntington beach did a pressure test and found no leaks. He advised me to leave it alone. He is a good guy.

Issue closed for now!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Bumping this back up, I have some weeping of coolant showing up under the car, no overheating signs but it seems to be weeping in back so maybe a lose hose or something or it's running back further. It looks to be behind the rear middle area of drivers side when I move the car.

If they go in, Ill be doing the thermostat, Serpentine belt, and tensior.......after a 180k mile run....its probably time to do so........
Old 10-16-2015, 04:36 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue and they told me to leave it alone also. There is never any coolant on the floor. About 1K worth of work.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:52 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Mine became a significant stain and we found the leak..but also broke the y pipe on the left side of the engine fiddling with it but replaced that y pipe and the lines and High Output Water unit.

I went and bought the exact OEM part @ Advanced Auto, and it was 130 dollars for the thermostat/pump/high output pump replacement......Had a buddy with the tools to remove the collars and did it over 4 hours with no dropping of transmission or anything but straining....Paid him 200 bucks for help.

Turned around and did my Toyota the next day for 250 bucks all in.......and new serpentine belt.

This guy is good......really good, Im tempted to go ahead and get another P car with his expertise.
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Here is the tool http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Coo...-/371058977915
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 AM
ubermich
Advanced

Sorry to revive this, but I have a leak from the same area...

Do you have a link for the thermostat housing from Advance Auto? My searches at advanceauto only yield the thermostat gaskets.

And was your t-stat housing actually cracked? Or were the gaskets leaking? I'm tempted to try the t-stat and gaskets on mine.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM
gkarag
5th Gear

Getting ready to replace the thermostat housing and I have a question for you: in the last picture where your holding the housing your hand is on the large opening, where does that opening connect to? And does it just pull out when the housing is being removed? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:23 PM
gkarag
5th Gear

Getting ready to replace the thermostat housing and I have a question for you: in the last picture where your holding the housing your hand is on the large opening, where does that opening connect to? And does it just pull out when the housing is being removed? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 V6 thermostat housing "leaking" and quoted costs