Sponsored by:

2005 CTT stuck in 2nd gear... among other things

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Pat_03
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CTT stuck in 2nd gear... among other things

Hey everyone, bare with me whilst I get through this and hopefull someone has some suggestions or can point me in the right direction.

Since I bought my 2005 Cayenne Turbo, the PSM and ABS lights come on intermittently. They tend to go off after the car is turned off then on again. Dealer said it was the right rear wheel speed sensor but no point in replacing it until the brakes are done.

A couple of days ago by battery died, which is weird because the dealer I bought it from said they had recently replaced it. I went in the mall for about 30 mins and left the key in the ignition for a passenger. The radio switched off to protect the battery after about 10 mins, yet when I came out the lights here still on and the battery dead, is this normal?

The next day the PSM and ABS lights came on as well as the check engine light but they have not gone out in 2 days. Since then, I have to keep the transmission in manual shift mode as in regular Auto mode, it will not shift out of 2nd gear. On top of that, if I manual shift it up to 3rd, 4th etc... and then pop it into Auto mode it automatically shifts back to 2nd gear and won't change. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Another issue that has come up in the '4 wheel drive system faulty' message and light come on intermittently as well. When it comes on, the switch to lock the diff does not work, when the light is not on, the switch works fine... is any of this stuff inter related?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a dual battery Cayenne?

One battery runs ALL of the electronics while the other one only starts the car.

When your battery is too low all sorts of crazy electronic issues happen.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Pat_03
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cole
Do you have a dual battery Cayenne?

One battery runs ALL of the electronics while the other one only starts the car.

When your battery is too low all sorts of crazy electronic issues happen.
I believe I do have the multi battery Cayenne (how do I know for sure?). I boosted her using the positive terminal found under the hood (top right) and I think there may also be a battery in the trunk in the right hand compartment...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

If you have a battery in the trunk, under the Bose sub thingy, then you have dual batteries. The primary battery is under the drivers seat.

If they are both original replace them both!!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Pat_03
Track Day

If you have a battery in the trunk, under the Bose sub thingy, then you have dual batteries. The primary battery is under the drivers seat.

If they are both original replace them both!!
I haven't had the car that long so I don't know if they are original... what is the easiest way to test and see if they need to be replaced? What is the function of each battery?
Would a bad batter cause the tranny not to shift in auto mode though?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Cole
Drifting

As I already mentioned one battery controls EVERYTHING and the other just starts the car.

EVERYTHING on the car is controlled by electricity. For example a cam adjuster runs between 0-5v depending on what angle a camshaft needs to be at for a given rpm, load, etc. so even a 1v variation could have the cams at the wrong angle and effect efficiency, power etc. (just happen to be working in cam adjusters on one of my other German cars)

The transmission runs the exact same way, it needs to see very specific voltages at specific times to work. So, your car might start just fine if you have dual batteries but everything else is trying to run off the alternator(which is also trying to charge the deal primary battery and the secondary one). So some systems jut don't get the voltage they need to work right.

I killed the battery once in my Audi S4 and all sorts of crazy items stopped working including the transmission.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

There is a ton of useful battery info in the owners manual

If you go over to RennTech.com and register (free) then you can download an owners manual for free. I just keep it on my iPad. Nice because then its searchable.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

Fwiw, any autoparts store can load test a battery for free. Just remove it and take it down to them. Have them test it more than once. Any failure and I'd replace them.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Pat_03
Track Day

As I already mentioned one battery controls EVERYTHING and the other just starts the car.

EVERYTHING on the car is controlled by electricity. For example a cam adjuster runs between 0-5v depending on what angle a camshaft needs to be at for a given rpm, load, etc. so even a 1v variation could have the cams at the wrong angle and effect efficiency, power etc. (just happen to be working in cam adjusters on one of my other German cars)

The transmission runs the exact same way, it needs to see very specific voltages at specific times to work. So, your car might start just fine if you have dual batteries but everything else is trying to run off the alternator(which is also trying to charge the deal primary battery and the secondary one). So some systems jut don't get the voltage they need to work right.

I killed the battery once in my Audi S4 and all sorts of crazy items stopped working including the transmission.

thanks for the help Cole. I never knew a battery was so intricate to the Cayenne's performance. I assume if the car was running then it was getting the power it needs.
Could this cause the MIL light to come on?

I will take it to my indy and have them test and replace the batteries if necessary.

Thanks again
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

I wasn't aware that dual-battery Cayennes were available after the 2004 model year.

In any case, I agree with Cole. A weak battery will cause all sorts of unexpected issues in a Cayenne, including error messages.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Cole
Drifting

Fwiw, I have the 2006 MY owners manual downloaded and it has the dual battery info in it.

I think many more 04s were optioned with it.

Quick Reply: 2005 CTT stuck in 2nd gear... among other things