Looking for some Cayenne shopping advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Looking for some Cayenne shopping advice

Hi all,

Considering a Cayenne for my wife. She demands a manual transmission (She's mine!) and with our first child here, she wants a crossover/SUV. In addition, she likes a responsive engine, nice appointments, decent fuel economy, and she doesn't want it to feel too big.

Yeah, try shopping for that car basically, the manual transmission makes it Cayenne or nothing. Luckily, a base Cayenne pretty much fills all her needs without alot of frills.

Was hoping the new BMW 3-series would offer a manual trans, but looks unlikely.

Ok, so that being said, the advice I'm looking for is this:

1. In 2013, what are my chances are finding a 2011 or 2012 CPO Cayenne v6 manual transmission? Slim to none? Seems like they are super rare.

2. Is there any particular best time to ease these cars? I'd be looking at ordering new. Is there anywhere to find out their residual values and money factors being offered by Porsche in a given month?

3. With a custom order placed in a really slow month (for porsche), is it realistic to look for below-invoice pricing on these?

I appreciate everyone's advice to help guide my buying decision. Ironically, there is a 2012 Cayenne v6 manual with 3,700 miles on it for sale about 3 miles from my house. Navi, xenons, heated ventilated 14-way power seats, heated front and rear, and several more options.

The dealership says it has an original MSRP of $61k and they are offering it for $57k, which makes me chuckle - $4k off MSRP for a 1 year old, used model that they aren't offering a CPO warranty on (just the balance of factory)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't pay a penny over $50K. Try to go on the 31st. They will be desperate to make their 2012 sales numbers look good and squeeze out a last second sale. If no dice, walk.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Cuba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexlthr
I wouldn't pay a penny over $50K. Try to go on the 31st. They will be desperate to make their 2012 sales numbers look good and squeeze out a last second sale. If no dice, walk.
Great idea, show up with a cashier's check on New Years' Eve and bully them.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porsche website has a CPO search function. I searched within 500 miles of me, and found a certified 2011 six speed in Beachwood, OH. Asking $52k, so - considering the 6yr/100k warranty - that's not unexpected. You might be able to tweak them down to a year-end $50k.

//greg//
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
The Porsche website has a CPO search function. I searched within 500 miles of me, and found a certified 2011 six speed in Beachwood, OH. Asking $52k, so - considering the 6yr/100k warranty - that's not unexpected. You might be able to tweak them down to a year-end $50k.

//greg//
Only suggestion I have is don't limit it to just the CPO cars, most of the vehicles can be CPO'd but the dealer doesn't want to advertise the higher price. If it can't be CPO'd then I wouldn't consider it (damaged in some way).
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is the one grohgreg is talking about.

http://www.porschebeachwood.com/deta...d-9491740.html

I actually bought my Cayenne from them in February. They're a great dealership. Ask for Rick Balas in sales.

Quick Reply: Looking for some Cayenne shopping advice