Sponsored by:

Touareg TDI Exec vs. Cayenee Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Touareg TDI Exec vs. Cayenee Diesel

Anyone else cross shop these? Looks like the Cayenne is about $20k to $25k more with the options I want (entry and drive, Nav, rear camera, leather, etc.). Haven't driven them back to back yet. Understand the Cayenne is more fun, but $25k? Jeebus.

I also like the light leather in the VW better.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

Sounds like you should buy the VW...

Maybe the test drives will confirm your decision. I haven't driven the Touareg.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Anyone else cross shop these? .
I traded a 2011 Touareg TDI Sport (Limited) for my CD. First off, these two don't start on a level playing. The base CD is $8825 more expensive than the base TDI. But in my book that money's well spent considering the superior engine/transmission/steering/suspension tuning you get with the Porsche nameplate. Leather seating surfaces are standard on the Porsche by the way, and the seats are much more comfortable than those in the VW. I'm a 208 pound six footer, and the side bolsters fit me like a glove. And to my knowledge, you can't get ventilated seats in the VW at all.

After that, it's all option shopping. On the VW, options are strictly packaged. Only factory options I know of within each trim level are the towing package and some mud flaps. Far far more personalization can be had when building a Porsche. So you can have a TDI Exec that's like every other TDI Exec on the road - or you can build a personalized Cayenne. So think of the extra money as an investment in individuality.

//greg//
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we looked at and drove both.
Ultimately (and this is totally subjective on our part )
1. the Porsche drives better
2. the seats were much more comfortable
3. the Cayenne looked better
4. air suspension in the Cayenne
5. European delivery
.... A few other things, but it is choice.
If you can afford the price, look to the value of what you are getting.

I shopped for 2 seat convertibles in 2000 and chose the S2000 over the Boxster (and others)
You are the one who has to live with the vehicle.
Pick what will make YOU happy
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM
997CS4
Instructor

I drove or owned them all (MB320 CDI, Q7 3.0 TDI, X5 3.0D, RR 3.0, VW 3.0 TDI) extensively. Short answer: there is a reason Porsche is able to commamd a higher price. For me the reasoning is the quality, tightness and car like feeling/handling
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM
CO-rayman
7th Gear

We drove the Touareg, Q7, and CD back to back. CD was our first choice due to noticeably better ride, handling, seats, responsiveness, and quality/number of options. Q7 was our second choice (I actually liked the Q7's predictable all wheel drive and quietness the best). Don't get me wrong Touareg is a great SUV, it's just not as well tuned as the CD or Q7. Also, while the engines are the same, the CD is tuned to hit its max numbers earlier in the rev band and feels much more responsive. Furthermore, CD is just ~ 700 lbs lighter.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks very much for the great feedback. Sounds like the drive and interior quality of the porsche may be worth it. I'll test drive both (wish I could do it blindfold, I know I will be influenced by the stuttgart coat of arms).
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

It can be hard to be objective.

I am 66,000 km into our driving experience and am VERY happy.
It isn't just another SUV, by a long shot.

Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Thanks very much for the great feedback. Sounds like the drive and interior quality of the porsche may be worth it. I'll test drive both (wish I could do it blindfold, I know I will be influenced by the stuttgart coat of arms).
I would be shocked if you drove both and came away thinking the VW was somehow superior (not taking price into it). So it really is more of a question of if you appreciate the difference enough to offset the premium that the crest buys you or if the T is good enough that you'll be happy with it and not constantly regretting not going with one of its more expensive cousins.

Also remember that many of the things that make the CD nicer are options that can take you from $55 to $95 real quick.

It's all about what you are comfortable and happy with.

I believe the VW also gets the 240hp engine for 2014 (Q7 in 2015 I think), so then the differences are going to be down to drivetrain and trim differences if you can wait a bit.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
so then the differences are going to be down to drivetrain and trim differences if you can wait a bit.
Never. Having owned both, I can firmly state that the base CD steering/suspension/brakes are far superior to the Touareg - regardless of trim level. To my knowledge, there are zero steering or handling options for the VW. Overall CD fit & finish and road noise level are better as well. That said, my Michelins might contribute to that. I didn't like the Goodyears that came on my Touareg.

//greg//
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Here is an on-topic video review I remembered watching, that compared a Touareg that rang in at exactly half the price of a decently loaded Cayenne. The question they try and answer, is it worth more than half the money?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Fair enough, I didn't take the suspension and brakes into account. If you don't get the steering option on the Cayenne is there much/any difference with the steering? (All the Cayennes I've ever driven had the option so I have no idea).

The fit and finish would fall into "trim differences"

In the end, they are the same basic vehicles with some tuning and outfitting differences. That's not to discount what the C offers over its siblings, but its not like optioned out similarly any of the 3 stand out from the others for what most people want in an SUV (maybe the Q since it has the 3rd row seat which seems to be the rage now). Since they are structurally the same (with similar if not identical engines) their capabilities are all pretty similar too. Performance wise the only place the Cayenne really stands out is on the track and extreme off roading (PASM), and even in the enthusiast crowd both use cases are rare. So it really comes down to if you are happier with the fit and finish (including being able to get specific "critical" options). Anything else is just justifying one over the other unless you are of the rare extreme group.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
fit and finish would fall into "trim differences"
We clearly have different definitions for "fit & finish". There are three basic trim levels to the Touareg; Sport, Lux, Executive. The industry definition of Fit & Fnish goes to how well a vehicle is put together, inside and out. Attention to detail. I'm saying the overall Cayenne fit & finish is better than that of the Touareg, irrespective of trim level.

//greg//
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Treg TDI is like a really good rental at the airport, good but your glad when you return it and pick up your pig at the other end
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

I was shopping for a Touareg this past July. The only one availlable in the local area was an Exec model that one of our 'local' dealers had. The owner had been driving it for 6 months or so, so it had 4600 miles on the odo.

The dealer wanted full MSRP ($60,700 before add ons), and they wanted to kill me on my trade, so I walked.

I went across the street to see the sales guru that sold me my 911 a couple years ago, where I mentioned the attempted trade to him. He said, "Why don't you buy the Porsche?" Until then I wasn't aware Porsche was importing the diesel Cayenne, so I told him that when they got one it that I could drive to call me. He did.. and I brought it home that day. I paid just about $10K more for the Porsche than I would have for the v-dub.

The T-reg is a good car, a very good car. But, IMHO it's not neearly as nice of a car as the CD. I'm more than pleased with my Cayenne, which in the long run I have to believe will hold its value better than the v-dub.

Quick Reply: Touareg TDI Exec vs. Cayenee Diesel