Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ha! Should have read the whole thread. Now I'm just repeating myself
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Ha! Should have read the whole thread. Now I'm just repeating myself
I thought so too. But it's a good test -- you are consistent. Consistency is good. Appreciate your response.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,608 Posts

LOL.

I would also advise against this.

I tapped a wire in my BMW's upper harness as suggested on multiple forums and ended up ruining my bluetooth mics. The dealer replaced the mics but to this day, people say it sounds like I am holding my phone out the window while talking.

If you are getting a V1, would suggest that you get the Savvy module. It plugs into your OBD port to draw power and road speed, and it acts as a device to automatically mute the volume under a certain speed threshold. Bonus - it's also your power supply! It's not hard to tuck the wires into the molding to make them invisible.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL.

I tapped a wire in my BMW's upper harness as suggested on multiple forums and ended up ruining my bluetooth mics. The dealer replaced the mics but to this day, people say it sounds like I am holding my phone out the window while talking.

If you are getting a V1, would suggest that you get the Savvy module. It plugs into your OBD port to draw power and road speed, and it acts as a device to automatically mute the volume under a certain speed threshold. Bonus - it's also your power supply! It's not hard to tuck the wires into the molding to make them invisible.
That's so much. Good suggestion. This way don't need to mess with fuses, or risk unforeseen electrical problems. I'll analyze a potential path to hide the wire, and finalize my plans before ordering. In California, we can't use suction cups for radar devices, so the mirror mount looks like my best bet -- just got to find one that fits the mirror properly.

For years, I've just clipped the V1 to a visor, but it's cumbersome, and doubt it's the proper angle to capture a laser gun.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:55 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL.

Funny, I just saw this old thread of mine. I did many BMWs this way too. Let me see, 335, X3, X5, 325, 540 were all mine, so I remember them and all worked with no issues at all. I also did a X6 as well, which was my friends. Another thing I always worried about was putting a wire down the pillar where the airbag is. It it ever deployed, does the wire just break, or does the wire hold back the bag? Why mess with physics? But thats just me. Glad some folks find it valuable to know options.

The savvy seem ok, but I believe the obd on Porsche have constant power, so would the V1 be on all the time? Guess I dont know how it works with power.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Another thing I always worried about was putting a wire down the pillar where the airbag is. It it ever deployed, does the wire just break, or does the wire hold back the bag? Why mess with physics? But thats just me.
Not just you. A bunch of the BMW guys seem fine with running the cable so it crosses over the airbag at the top of the A-Pillar. Just a bad idea in my opinion as even if the airbag going off breaks it or pulls it free, it's still going to have a fractional impact to the performance of the airbag which is pretty big given the timing of it's inflate/deflate cycle.

In my wife's 328 I was able to pull the trim panel off and easily run it so it didn't get near the airbag. The airbag also doesn't start until about half way up between the dash and roof, so it is safe to cross the pillar at the bottom of the pillar which is what I did in the Cayenne since I couldn't get the trim panel off. Then the cable just runs up between the trim and windshield.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike and others, have you had any problem with the suction cup mounts breaking loose from the windshield?? This has always been a worry of mine.

BTW, Nice looking P-GTS you have on order, Mike. Congrats!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill P.
Mike and others, have you had any problem with the suction cup mounts breaking loose from the windshield?? This has always been a worry of mine.
As long as both the windshield and cups are cleaned well, I've never had one fall off. If I don't get a good cleaning, however, it falls at seemingly odd times.

If the plug is good and I'm not doing something crazy, it will arrest the fall. I think the clips on the plug in all three cars is currently broken though which can result in dash damage.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
As long as both the windshield and cups are cleaned well, I've never had one fall off. If I don't get a good cleaning, however, it falls at seemingly odd times.

If the plug is good and I'm not doing something crazy, it will arrest the fall. I think the clips on the plug in all three cars is currently broken though which can result in dash damage.
Mine fell off in the extreme heat. Of course, it was 14 years old.

Just sent it in for a updated one with all the bells and whistles. Should be here tomorrow...including new suction cups.

Quick Reply: Installed my Valentine 1 Easily for 958 2011 and On