Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a "fender bender" affect car value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a "fender bender" affect car value?

I am looking seriously at an '08 GTS. It is certified and in very nice shape. It was involved in an accident that resulted in the replacement of the door skin on right rear. All the work was done at the dealership and it looks flawless. It cost $1900 for the repairs. While it does not bother me at all, as a rule, does such an event affect the value or price I should offer?
Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

An accidented vehicle always drops in value...meaning that will be cheaper to buy but cheaper to resale as well. The amount of the repairs is very important. $2000 damage is not $15 000 damage.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Major damage certainly affects resale price .... minor damage is just one more factor in a used car's price

As the car ages it becomes less of an issue -- unless it becomes noticeable.

If this was a 911 -- it would be different ..... many people do not want a late model 911 with any body repairs.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, and you CAN go after insurance for "loss of value" when you get that settlement check..

A: get repair covered
B: make sure you are covered (stuff that may arise down the line=neck problems)
C: loss of value should be covered because your car just depreciated with said hit regardless if its just cosmetic or not.. if it shows up, or if you declare willingly to buyer... it will affect value.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've come across a cayenne s that had to have the hood replaced and fascia repainted. Low impact accident into a rear of an suv with exterior mounted spare wheel. So the damage was expensive but not into substructure. On carfax. So if $40k is the asking price what should the deduct be for the accident/deminished value? I will eventually resell car in a few yrs so i will take a price hit upon selling.
Tia
Ed
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

$1,900 to replace a door skin on a Cayenne sounds too good to be true. This work is labor intensive and involves removing the door from the body, stripping all electrical & trim components, delaminating the old door skin from the frame and re-installing the new skin on top. Add to that painting, finishing, re-assembly & re-mounting the door to the body.

I would definitely ask to see the estimate or invoice that was produced as proof.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the fender bender occurred on a V6 Cayenne, it actually will increase the value.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
$1,900 to replace a door skin on a Cayenne sounds too good to be true. This work is labor intensive and involves removing the door from the body, stripping all electrical & trim components, delaminating the old door skin from the frame and re-installing the new skin on top. Add to that painting, finishing, re-assembly & re-mounting the door to the body.

I would definitely ask to see the estimate or invoice that was produced as proof.
Yes, I was quoted about $1400 and $1200 just to pop out a bad door ding and respray part of the two left doors here in the Bay Area. My dealer did paintless dent removable for free and it's now tolerable.

Now this week somebody rubs my back rear bumper. Almost $1100 alone to remove rear bumper and respray. Guy who hit me used his insurance to cover repair. Now I wonder if this pops up on a carfax report. But I'm not worried. It's a v-$ix. Ka-ching! Honestly I'm getting tired of door dings on a new Cayenne. I may fix up the ding and scratch right, sell it and get a little porsche again.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will say if you have all documentation of work and price is right then YES. But think about resale as others mentioned
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Andy E.

OP here. I actually did see it. The work was done at the dealership that is selling the car. Damn, I thought that $1900 to do that modest work was a lot of scratch. I did not realize how involved it truly was. Guess I have to get in a "Porsche state of mind."
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Does it actually list the "door skin" part?

Nothing special about doing the body work on a Cayenne - but it does sound a bit cheap to do the door --- but doing this stuff is not as labor intensive as it once was.

If I found the right car with the options I wanted at the correct price the fact that one door had been refinished would not bother me. Same goes for the bumpers. Now, having the hood replaced would require a full inspection even with an invoice for the work.

I have used the paintless dent guys -- its amazing -- and even if its not perfect I would rather have a little spot vs respraying the panels - same goes for the bumpers ..... The dealers used to have the guys that did the bumper fixes in the parking lot .. from what I understand the VOC rules have put them out of business
Old 12-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Does it actually list the "door skin" part?
I did not study it. When I went to test drive the car I asked about the Carfax accident reference and the salesman pulled out the invoice which was a few pennies south of $1900. He said it was to repair the door skin. Truthfully, once I fired it up, and heard the exhaust note, the Koolaid kicked in and the last thing in my mind was the cost of a door skin repair.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had some friends that bought a Cayenne S new in 2004. Got hit in the rear in city traffic .. cosmetic damage, replaced bumper, fixed tailgate .. $5000K repair at dealer. Went to trade the truck in at the same dealer in 2010 with 90K miles on it and the dealer said 'well, it's been wrecked, so we'll give you $9000 for it in trade on a Panamera ..' .. and so it goes. Diminished value is a fact.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by JPP
I had some friends that bought a Cayenne S new in 2004. Got hit in the rear in city traffic .. cosmetic damage, replaced bumper, fixed tailgate .. $5000K repair at dealer. Went to trade the truck in at the same dealer in 2010 with 90K miles on it and the dealer said 'well, it's been wrecked, so we'll give you $9000 for it in trade on a Panamera ..' .. and so it goes. Diminished value is a fact.
It would be interesting to go back to that dealer to see how the story changes when they are pitching the car.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
azshohan
1st Gear

Default Maintain your car value very easily

I am also tensed about maintaining my car's value. One told me that Car Value is much important to get a good price when I sell it. You may contact the site that mentioned above as "car value to know more about car value maintenance.

Quick Reply: Does a "fender bender" affect car value?