Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PMS/ABS failure bad battery or something more sinister?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PMS/ABS failure bad battery or something more sinister?

sorry, tried to be brief...

ok so this is where I am. O4CS 97k Freshly naked then WHAMMO Drive shaft bearing fails. So while I've been deciding how to proceed it's been sitting under covered parking patiently waiting. My Vertex shaft will be here today and I hope to get it installed over the weekend, but here's where it get weird for me.

So the other day I went to start the car just to let it warm up and relax since it's been sitting about a month. The car acted like it was dead, but after turning the ignition left/right then reinserting the key the light came on and the car started normally but with a PSM Failure warning. I turned the car off and figured I'd address it when I redid the drive shaft.

so with the shaft arriving today I went again last night to start the car up, check the tires and what not as I'll be driving it a few blocks to my mech. buddy with the lift. again the car acted completely dead until i did the left right reinsert thing with the key. i proceeded to start the car and it sounded "different" and then I was presented with PSM warning and a brand new ABS FAILURE WORKSHOP. error. I started the car 3 or four times after that and never heard the odd startup. however the electrical system is acting strange like it did the last time i had a battery issue. the ABS warning scared the crap out of me until i started reading about potential causes.

Could the bad/low battery ) mine has 2 batteries) really cause that much havoc in systems? Even though car started and drove normally? brakes were good and everything SEEMED normal except for the warnings. I am buying a new battery even though mine is not that old but it was DEF. dead and didn't seem interested in taking a charge from my trickle charger. If it turns out to be bad/low battery causing havoc, should the various systems reset after it gets good juice?

the Battery that's under the seat was replaced last year and the one in the boot tested good. However the car is doing the same kinds of things it did prior to the replacement last year. weird lights. not locking properly. keyless entry doesn't work, lights are dim and then click off, just general weirdness is the best way to describe it. ( last night the right rear turn signal stayed on and then faded out after I locked the car ) weird

ideas? thanks very much in advance!

John
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they replaced battery under warranty so that's good. The car starts beautifully now but the PSM and ABS FAILURE workshop lights are staying on.

Is there a way to clear these faults and see if they show back up? I'm hoping that the errors are from the low battery and things are just out of whack.

If anyone has ANY ideas at all I'd sure like to hear them

Quick Reply: PMS/ABS failure bad battery or something more sinister?