Sponsored by:

Upgrading PCM 2.1 Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Upgrading PCM 2.1 Head Unit

More upgrades to my 2006 Cayenne Turbo S. The car has the full package from the factory, PCM 2.1, Nav, hands free phone with SIM slot. I need to add bluetooth, IPOD, USB for a droid, and would like to get a backup camera in the mix.

I believe that Dension has the best MOST system adapter for BT/IPOD/HD radio, USB. Correct me if I'm wrong or you think I may be wrong.

I don't know if a backup camera can also be integrated into this setup. I don't know if the native screen on the PCM 2.1 system can do camera resolutions at all. Anyone?

And then with all of this, am I better off with an aftermarket head unit? Which?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a '06 Turbo S and mine has the factory backup camera which has a decent color resolution and fairly good resolution at night with just the backup lights. An aftermarket backup camera can be fitted if you don't have the factory backup. I also have the Mobridge with Bluetooth and and IPOD adapter which works well.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I have a '06 Turbo S and mine has the factory backup camera which has a decent color resolution and fairly good resolution at night with just the backup lights. An aftermarket backup camera can be fitted if you don't have the factory backup. I also have the Mobridge with Bluetooth and and IPOD adapter which works well.
Thank you. Sounds like any of the add-on units like your Mobridge won't interfere with adding the camera, and that the resolution of the screen is adequate. I appreciate that. Answers some important questions.

The cost of the Mobridge, or the Dension which is a little cheaper, are still themselves almost as much as a good, new head unit. I found a thread here about an Alpine unit that might work. The question going that route is obviously one of integration. The head unit might not be expensive, but labor is. I need to find out how easily an aftermarket unit would integrate.

But thanks to you, I know now at least the plan I had will work and allow me the use of a camera. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Upgrading PCM 2.1 Head Unit