Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo Coolant tank leak... DIY anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 12:00 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I saw your post yesterday and was reminded to pre-emptively order a tank since my 2003 turbo tank is original.

I spent an hour or so with dozens of web pages open and decided to go the opposite route just for fun.
Which is to say, I bought the absolute cheapest one I could find.
I wouldn't do this for a radiator, but was feeling adventurous. The ebay seller I found offers free return shipping so I'll test it out thoroughly before using it.
I was just curious of the quality I would get. I mean, it's just some extruded plastic. The thing I worry about is the coolant level sensor... But I plan on testing that in my sink as soon as it arrives.

So the part number I used to cross reference was 7L0121407F. And I paid $32.89. I know I know, peace of mind... bla bla bla. This is sort of a Thelma and Louise moment like when Kramer wanted to see how far he could drive with his gas gauge on E.

Last edited by thesteve; 12-15-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve
I saw your post yesterday and was reminded to pre-emptively order a tank since my 2003 turbo tank is original.

I spent an hour or so with dozens of web pages open and decided to go the opposite route just for fun.
Which is to say, I bought the absolute cheapest one I could find.
I wouldn't do this for a radiator, but was feeling adventurous. The ebay seller I found offers free return shipping so I'll test it out thoroughly before using it.
I was just curious of the quality I would get. I mean, it's just some extruded plastic. The thing I worry about is the coolant level sensor... But I plan on testing that in my sink as soon as it arrives.

So the part number I used to cross reference was 7L0121407F. And I paid $32.89. I know I know, peace of mind... bla bla bla. This is sort of a Thelma and Louise moment like when Kramer wanted to see how far he could drive with his gas gauge on E.

Good luck with that (meant seriously, not sarcastically).
Let us know how it lasts.

I did mine a couple months ago.

Pelican had a "Behr" for $80, well below the 'Genuine Porsche' part, so I went with that.
No issues on the install, and taking the headlight out:
1 - Is so blindingly simple it's silly.
2 - Allows a straight shot at the torque arm bolt with an extension. Makes undoing that bolt stupid simple.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:02 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Behr...Rein...URO... Who ARE these people??
Ha. I'll honestly report my findings.
I just had a suspicion that they were all coming from the same factory in China.
Probably not... but maybe the folks who made my $30 tank have gotten better at it over the years.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:08 PM
eagle-co94
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve
Behr...Rein...URO... Who ARE these people??
Ha. I'll honestly report my findings...
Any updates for us? My wife's 06 TTS is leaking coolant in front of the passenger tire.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:58 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Hi. Sorry, no. I actually still haven't replaced the original.
Not much driving during the pandemic.
For what it's worth, the $30 part I received seemed heavy for its size and well made. Nice thick plastic.
It held water and the sensor worked.
I'm going to kick myself when it's time to go back to the office every weekday and realize the perfect opportunity I missed to take care of all of the little jobs I should have done on my Cayenne.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 PM
eagle-co94
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's gave her the low coolant warning about a month or two ago and she put about half a gallon in it and the light went off. We weren't sure if it was just a bit low after I did the coolant T's 18 months ago but we got the low coolant light again yesterday and I put the other half gallon in this morning and that didn't fill it. I ran it in place and got a steady drip under the RF fender so I figure this is the culprit. The 7L0121407F is still about $33 & up shipped now so I think I'll pick one up as she's at about 120k and if it's not cracked it should probably be done anyways. I'll pull the trim after work tomorrow and try & locate the leak in hopes it's just the reservoir. I'll post what I find and my results.

''
Old 08-01-2021, 07:21 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Cool, hope it all goes well. Maybe take some pics, as I've never seen a writeup on this job.
Maybe I'll be inspired to replace mine.
I do see a spot below that area on the pavement where I park every day. But in the past year I only had to top it up once. And even then the warning message never showed.
Must be just weeping at a seam.
Now that you mention it, when I replaced my plastic pipes and tees 3 years ago, I never did quite pass the pressure test I did afterwards.
I just put it out of my mind. Worked like a charm. Ha.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo Coolant tank leak... DIY anyone?