Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 CTT Sounds Very Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 CTT Sounds Very Mechanical?

Hi all

My 2004 CTT sounds very mechanical when driving, does the Cayenne sound like this in normal circumstances?

I came from an X6 which was very quiet and did everything easy if you get what i mean and i can decide if i can hear the tuned V8 engine, exhaust system and general solid mechanical nature of the drive train given the power it copes with or if the drive shafts / gearbox are a whining a bit? It drives fine in respect of smoothness and acceleration, its just quite loud, especially when cold, do they need warming up to quieten down?

It does have a lower end set of tyres on the rear which were fitted by the supplying dealer which are contributing to the noise but i have to say that my CTT sounds louder than expected.

Are these a quiet driver or should the loud drive train etc be looked at / serviced? The mileage is a little high at 107k for an 8 year old car but it has lots of history to verify its condition, nothing on differential oil changes etc though?

I would love to hear comments on this, is it normal?

Thanks

Carl
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Well its hard to tell without a sound clip of what your talking about. I have a 2005 CTT and mine by all means it isnt quiet.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

How cold are you talking? At below freezing I do have some start up noises, such as power steering pump.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Just at a temp from being stood overnight nothing too cold. Its more a constant whine / drone when driving and the car feels mechanical when first started and driven, a little jerky on the acceleration until its been drive for 5 mins or so then its just a bit loud through the drivetrain although drives very well.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the whine/drone stop when you lift the gas pedal and coast? Mine does and been told its a front differential. Had the fluid changed and definitely something going on as the fluid was watery and shot. 2004 CTT 74000 miles. The whine is mostly between 69 and 79 mph so i just drive 82 or 65. Looking into a new diff but aint gonna be cheap and im not that bothered by it. Drives perfect otherwise.
You also mentioned that the front and rear tires are not matched? This is possibly placing strain on your drive train. AWD needs all tires to match pretty close.
Eric
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Cuba
Instructor

When I got my new tires and balancing/alignment it got real quiet. 05CTT 80K miles.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuba
When I got my new tires and balancing/alignment it got real quiet. 05CTT 80K miles.
+1
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
carlos50
Instructor

It may actually be the tires and the different noise the engine makes compared to my diesel X6 which are throwing me off. The rears are a budget brand and after discussions with the dealer today he stated that the budget tyres like this have a castellated effect which, when they are new, causes the noise through the car like that of a worn wheel bearing. Pretty disappointed if i have to change the tyres to quieten the CTT down?

It drives very well and the groan / whine doesn't seem to stop when I'm coasting so it could well be the rubber?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

I replaced my tires with the ones on Tirerack.com that were rated #1 under the "quietest" criteria. Yokohama parada spec-x, that really lowered the volume in the car. But I got in my parents 2006 BMW 330IS the other day and it was just absolutely whisper quiet on the freeway. My Cayenne is nowhere near as quiet as the BMW.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 11-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlos50
It may actually be the tires and the different noise the engine makes compared to my diesel X6 which are throwing me off. The rears are a budget brand and after discussions with the dealer today he stated that the budget tyres like this have a castellated effect which, when they are new, causes the noise through the car like that of a worn wheel bearing. Pretty disappointed if i have to change the tyres to quieten the CTT down?

It drives very well and the groan / whine doesn't seem to stop when I'm coasting so it could well be the rubber?
Probably the tires, mine sounded like a wheel bearing but disappeared immediately after the tire job. Turning changed the noise, one direction louder the other quieter. I also had cheapos from when I bought it. Conti extreme DWS have been a great upgrade and good price, they should last a long time as well.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
carlos50
Instructor

Im going to change the rears to Pirelli like the fronts and see how that works out. I dont think the Cayenne is as quiet as id thought but its a mix of engine and gearbox tone and a mechanically solid car i hope
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
carlos50
Instructor

A question, if the noise is down to the tyres being unevenly worn will they wear into shape now that its had a 4 wheel alignment done or will they always be loud?

How can i check its not bearings, is it as easy as jacking up, put it in neutral and spin the wheel to see if there's any noise?

Dont want to pay for 2 new tyres to find they were fine and i needed a bearing.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How can i check its not bearings, is it as easy as jacking up, put it in neutral and spin the wheel to see if there's any noise?
Jack the car up safely, then spin the wheel and listen and feel for any noise or resistance that is occurring. Then take and grab the tire equally parts away from each other and slightly wiggle/shake the wheel back and fourth for any movement, usually about a 1/8" play is acceptable. If any of these fail I would advise to change your Wheel Bearings.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Cuba
Instructor

If the fronts are heavily used I'd do all four. Check wheel bearings by jacking it up, grabing the wheel spokes, and shaking the wheel. You should notice the play if wheel bearing was shot. If going for two fresh and two used definitely get a road force balancing all around and hope for the best. Probably fine, it's a truck after all.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
carlos50
Instructor

Is the bearing change a big task with special tools or a DIY at home?

Quick Reply: 2004 CTT Sounds Very Mechanical?