Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper control arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure when replace upper control arms you torque down them down appropriately . Otherwise you'll get sloppy movement and clunking when you turn the steering wheel
Old 01-26-2016, 07:14 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you referring to torquing with it under vehicle weight?

Do you have decent access to torque with everything installed but with the wheel off?

You stated you put it in the lowest setting (assume you mean loading level). Would it be better to torque it in the setting you drive most often or maybe just in the middle setting?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandeOak
Are you referring to torquing with it under vehicle weight?

Do you have decent access to torque with everything installed but with the wheel off?

You stated you put it in the lowest setting (assume you mean loading level). Would it be better to torque it in the setting you drive most often or maybe just in the middle setting?
I torqued everything in low drive setting height. But for upper control arms specifically before you re install the air shock and upper control arm assembly make sure it's Tight! Once you bolt to frame under the hood you won't be able to access again!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work on the repair! Looks like a pain.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:26 AM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front air shock removal

I replaced my UCA and shock mounts last weekend. The tips above were very helpful. Here are some pictures and thoughts for anyone else thinking of doing this job.

I removed the driver (left) side wiper but not the entire cowl to access the hidden bolts.

Driver side hidden bolt

Passenger side hidden bolt

Passenger side tricky bolt

Press the push pin to remove the ride height sensor

If you replace your shock mounts you will need a special tool or an air wrench to remove the shock rod nut and it's probably a good idea to replace the o-ring under the bracket as the cavity underneath is pressurized. Picture below shows the o-ring and the nut.

My passenger shock mount was completely shot (118,000 miles)

For re-installation I left one tricky bolt in place for each shock but put a socket on it to give it some weight. After reconnecting the shock I raised it with a jack until it just bumped the bolt and then turned the bolt until it grabbed the shock then raised the shock a bit more, tightened the bolt more then installed the other two bolts

Quick Reply: Upper control arm removal