Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much must a rim clear the caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
shopkins1994
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much must a rim clear the caliper?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS. It came with the black GTS turbo 21" rims. I purchased 19" rims with snow tires from Tirerack. I just put them on and had a question. How much should the rim clear the caliper from the flat edge where "Porsche" is stamped? There was quite a clearance with the 21" wheels. The new front rims clear the flat edge of the front caliper by about 1/4" (the rears are fine).

BTW for anyone changing tires from 21" to 19" on a 2013 Cayenne with a side skirt, you can only use the Porsche jack on one side. After that, the screw drive for the Porsche jack will grind into your side skirt and chew it up.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any clearance from the wheel to the caliper is okay because it won't change. If it does, then the rim is seriously bent.

It's common to use a hockey puck between the lifting point and the jack to prevent problems. Get a proper floor jack and use the supplied scissor jack for emergencies only.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 PM
shopkins1994
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Any clearance from the wheel to the caliper is okay because it won't change. If it does, then the rim is seriously bent.

It's common to use a hockey puck between the lifting point and the jack to prevent problems. Get a proper floor jack and use the supplied scissor jack for emergencies only.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I wound up using my real floor jack for the other side after chewing up my skirt underneath. I just figured I'd use the OEM jack to eliminate any problems since it "slips" into the car jack point. I'm not sure that the Porsche jack could be used in a real emergency. It stands up on edge. It looks like the car would have to be on perfect level surface for the jack to work.

Quick Reply: How much must a rim clear the caliper?