Aftermarket DVD/NAV/Bluetooth/Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 AM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket DVD/NAV/Bluetooth/Sat Radio

Hey Guys,

I just did an extensive search, but didn't find a lot of information. I recently bought an 06 Turbo S and it has the stock Nav unit with bose system. I actually haven't taken delivery yet, but I understand that this car didn't come standard with bluetooth? It had the option of SiriusXM?

My current DD is an 01 M5, with parrot bluetooth added, Sirius unit replacing the stock cd changer.

I would like a unit that integrates a back up camera, DVD player (watch movies), GPS, Sat Radio (Sirius), bluetooth and fully functional with steering wheel controls.

Was thinking about this unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX7190HD

Anyone use this site and keep the factory PCM to achieve the same result?

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6986

Any reason to keep the factory head unit? I would like the go with a bigger screen if possible.

Admittedly, I don't know much about upgrading the factory unit/replacing it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 AM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Anybody?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

I haven't done this in my Cayenne, but I'm considering it. I upgraded my 996 system to a Kenwood DNX6960 a few years ago and I love it.

For the Cayenne, you can do this too but you'll need a MOST adapter if you plan to use the stock amps and speakers. You can keep steering wheel controls operational with an adapter that Kenwood sells. The display for your navigation and song/track data in the instrument cluster will no longer function.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I haven't done this in my Cayenne, but I'm considering it. I upgraded my 996 system to a Kenwood DNX6960 a few years ago and I love it.

For the Cayenne, you can do this too but you'll need a MOST adapter if you plan to use the stock amps and speakers. You can keep steering wheel controls operational with an adapter that Kenwood sells. The display for your navigation and song/track data in the instrument cluster will no longer function.
Thanks so much for your detailed response - excellent information! I did another search for "aftermarket stereo" and I found a virtual wealth of information.

What I didn't find was that I would lose display information for navigation and song/track data in the instrument cluster. This was one of the reasons that I kept my original head unit on my 01 M5 - so that I could retain the display information for track/data on my information display under the gauges - also, the 16X9 display on the M5 is way nicer from back in 01 than the 06 Cayenne I just bought!

So - my next question - and please bear in mind - I haven't taken deliver of my vehicle yet (happening tomorrow) - what information is displayed from the navigation itself? Song/track data would be on the main display of the kenwood unit, so that doesn't offend me too much. What would I be missing from the navi unit?

How well do you rate the stock Navi unit? Is it good? I know the Kenwood unit is kick-*** - so I'm a little torn between upgrading to a bigger screen, having a great nav unit, ability to play DVDs while driving, sat radio, high quality AM/FM, and bluetooth, and ipod/iphone, back-up camera VS

Sticking with stock unit, and adding bluetooth/sat radio - not having back-up camera or ipod or DVD player capability or real time traffic info BUT retaining display on my dash pod for navi/song-tracks.

I'll have to drive the vehicle for a few days and play with the sat/nav a bit, but I'm leaning towards losing that display capability on the dash - just so much to gain with the newer technology - I think! Tell me your thoughts!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

The stock nav unit is adequate, but not great. It's a few years old with POI data and it doesn't have some of the newer features like live traffic updating and lane assistance like the newer units. Another wonderful feature that the new Kenwood units have is the speed limit display. That's really nice to have on unfamiliar roads. The PCM system also has a trip computer, showing mileage, distance to destination, etc. You'll lose that functionality if you replace the unit. There's a toggle switch on the control stalk that allows you to switch your instrument cluster display between navigation, radio station/CD info, mileage, average speed, distance to empty and temperature. I believe the temperature function will still work, but you'll lose the others. It's really not that big of a deal. I don't care about a backup camera. The Cayenne really isn't too big, and we have Park Assist, which is quite good.

For me, adding Bluetooth and Sirius/XM will be great. I'm looking forward to upgrading mine in the near future. It made a HUGE difference in my 996 C4S.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 AM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Ah yes - the DTE info and other computer stuff - I do like that functionality. I think I'll be retaining the stock PCM and adding bluetooth/Sirius and other stuff to make the stock unit do what I want. I'm not super worried about traffic details for the sat/nav, although periodically it is nice to have the sat/nav automatically reroute you around the bad traffic jams. At the same time, I do have the iPhone and google maps, so I can always check that too. I think the www.installers.com website will be used for me - I can add an additional source for a DVD player or Iphone/iPod as well and it'll show video while moving - so a pretty good deal. Retains the stock look as well - which is a debatable advantage.

Tough choice - stock functionality vs. bigger screen! I'm going to have to sleep on it! Thanks for the thoughts though!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket DVD/NAV/Bluetooth/Sat Radio