Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - advice needed on Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more vote in favour of the Diesel. I have had mine for just over 2 months and 5500kms, and I test drove a V6 petrol before purchasing. In my mind, no comparison. The V6 was nice, but the torque of the Diesel definitely gives the vehicle a performance bump. And I have to say, although this is my first Diesel (I have rented a few on vacations though), I don't even understanfd what you mean when you talk about clatter and noise (i.e. virtualy non-existenet). One of the consistent reviewer comments on the CD, and on which I agree completely, is just how quiet this vehicle is. Turbo lag isn't bad at all either. In my personal decision making process, the extra $5k for the diesel over the petrol was a virtual no brainer when considering the better fuel efficiency, longer lasting engine, higher resale and perhaps most importantly - more spirited performance. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Bakes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 12 V6 Manual. Never drove an S or a Diesel, but I am very pleased with my V6. Fast for an SUV, but probably not by any other standards. Probably equally as fast as my previous car (2008 Audi A4 2.0T 6speed with APR tune). It is worthy of the badge in my opinion, as I think it still has that Porsche spirit inside of it. Revs up very quickly in sport mode, and handles very sporty with the PASM and PTV. I never noticed any vibrations, and always liked the "coarseness", as it reminds me of a 911 engine. The fact that its a old VW design just makes it appeal more to me, as its a proven design.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
One more vote in favour of the Diesel. I have had mine for just over 2 months and 5500kms, and I test drove a V6 petrol before purchasing. In my mind, no comparison. The V6 was nice, but the torque of the Diesel definitely gives the vehicle a performance bump. And I have to say, although this is my first Diesel (I have rented a few on vacations though), I don't even understanfd what you mean when you talk about clatter and noise (i.e. virtualy non-existenet). One of the consistent reviewer comments on the CD, and on which I agree completely, is just how quiet this vehicle is. Turbo lag isn't bad at all either. In my personal decision making process, the extra $5k for the diesel over the petrol was a virtual no brainer when considering the better fuel efficiency, longer lasting engine, higher resale and perhaps most importantly - more spirited performance. Hope this helps.
Thanks Cowboys5. I am fully aware that "clatter" is not right word for the sound of today's advanced diesels. I use the term for want of a better word. I am referring to the unpleasant sound (unpleasant to me) that one can hear while driving a diesel in a closed carpark with the windows open. Not necessarily loud, but just weird and reminiscent of commercial vans - not something I wish to associate with a luxury vehicle. In stop-and-go traffic, this sound (and the accompanying slight vibration) would be perceptible inside my RR. If this is not the case with CD, I will definitely go for it.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^ From you posts, the only Cayenne that will suit your needs is the "S", perfect DD, very smooth, powerful and sounds like a Porsche.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by Galion
^^^ From you posts, the only Cayenne that will suit your needs is the "S", perfect DD, very smooth, powerful and sounds like a Porsche.
I know! But the price difference between a base and an S in my market is 32,000 Euros! (over 40K USD). Sometimes I am tempted to apply for a Green Card
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
997CS4
Instructor

Range Rover Diesel is still a loud old fashioned diesel truck. New RR, that will shed up to 420 kilos, should be better. 75% of European Cayennes are diesel, do they all get it wrong?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997CS4
Range Rover Diesel is still a loud old fashioned diesel truck. New RR, that will shed up to 420 kilos, should be better. 75% of European Cayennes are diesel, do they all get it wrong?
The vast majority of RRs sold in Europe are also diesel but this doesn't stop you calling them "loud old fashioned diesel trucks" Do they all get it wrong?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm seriously considering a diesel as my next Cayenne. I think you should drive it so you can compare your experience to the RR first hand.

I got this brochure from Porsche regarding to new Diesel model launching.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
997CS4
Instructor

No the people who in general buy RR are people that appreciate the offroad capabilites or the just want to have big expensive car and show poeple they can afford it. It's never about technoly, which is fine if that doesn't interest you. Take a peak at the depriciation of a 36 month CD lease or RR lease
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
gokkav
Advanced

I have just discovered something related to the "coarseness" comments and thought I would share:

The new RR Evoque is receiving the same sort of criticism from many professional reviewers. i.e. the engine emits a coarse growl at high revs.

I do own a 4-cylinder petrol Evoque and I can tell you this: if the base V6 cayenne is guilty of similar engine behavior, it will be music to my ears! Coming from a 911, and currently driving a Panamera V6, I love Evoque's sound. I even push the throttle unnecessarily at times just to hear it. I hope reviewers of Evoque and Cayenne are talking about the same coarseness

The much reported issue of vibration in Cayenne however remains a mystery. I haven't experienced it in any vehicle I have owned. Or perhaps the reviewers were once again complaining about something which was present in my other cars but didn't really annoy me... I doubt it though
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997CS4
No the people who in general buy RR are people that appreciate the offroad capabilites or the just want to have big expensive car and show poeple they can afford it. It's never about technoly, which is fine if that doesn't interest you. Take a peak at the depriciation of a 36 month CD lease or RR lease
The point I was trying to make is this: there is no right or wrong here. The fact that the majority of people prefer diesels doesn't show that they are "right". It only shows that there is a very strong case for diesel. And that strong case may well be fuel economy, or lower road tax where applicable, or better depreciation, or something else. But if your priority is elsewhere, those strong arguments may not indicate what's "right" for you.

And don't forget that most of these diesel Cayenne owners are new to the brand. I am not, and judging by your nickname, you are not either. So we may expect different things from our cars.

Having said all that, I do get your point and I keep an open mind. I might end up with a CD after a good test drive.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the base V6 cayenne is guilty of similar engine behavior, it will be music to my ears! ... I even push the throttle unnecessarily at times just to hear it. I hope reviewers of Evoque and Cayenne are talking about the same coarseness
The much reported issue of vibration in Cayenne however remains a mystery. I haven't experienced it in any vehicle I have owned. Or perhaps the reviewers were once again complaining about something which was present in my other cars but didn't really annoy me...
"the fine degrees, the nuances, the subjectivities, your interpretations - sensitivities ... what do you feel when driving them?"

Now we are getting somewhere

The V6 coarseness, I think is what you favourably describe! The engine makes itself present, it emits a deep growl, and the mechanical tonalities translate what you are doing with the throttle. The engine is not just heard, but felt. The power can be felt tingling through the chassis. The NVH would get a clear fail from a Lexus engineer, but puts a grin on my face when I floor it passing on the Highway. Did i mention the sport button must be depressed for that Grin?

The VR6 coarseness is in sharp contrast to my silky smooth BMW I6. The I6 is clearly a better engine in my opinion, but I enjoy them both, in a different way. The VR6 feels manly, and unshaven. The I6 is boringly perfect, and less emotional.

As for the vibration, it is there at idle ... a slight out of place tingle every 10s or so. It is there at 2100 RPM, making itself present as a slight grittiness in the steering, when the engine is under load. And at higher RPM it works in concert with the "coarseness" described above. As a perfectionist, it should have been improved upon, especially at this price level! Is it a major detraction, nah. Are we talking economy car 4cyl levels, not at all! Does my BMW do better here? Definitely!

Damn, I need to taste some fine Scotch after writing that!

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 10-26-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 AM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
"the fine degrees, the nuances, the subjectivities, your interpretations - sensitivities ... what do you feel when driving them?"

Now we are getting somewhere

The V6 coarseness, I think is what you favourably describe! The engine makes itself present, it emits a deep growl, and the mechanical tonalities translate what you are doing with the throttle. The engine is not just heard, but felt. The power can be felt tingling through the chassis. The NVH would get a clear fail from a Lexus engineer, but puts a grin on my face when I floor it passing on the Highway. Did i mention the sport button must be depressed for that Grin?

The VR6 coarseness is in sharp contrast to my silky smooth BMW I6. The I6 is clearly a better engine in my opinion, but I enjoy them both, in a different way. The VR6 feels manly, and unshaven. The I6 is boringly perfect, and less emotional.

As for the vibration, it is there at idle ... a slight out of place tingle every 10s or so. It is there at 2100 RPM, making itself present as a slight grittiness in the steering, when the engine is under load. And at higher RPM it works in concert with the "coarseness" described above. As a perfectionist, it should have been improved upon, especially at this price level! Is it a major detraction, nah. Are we talking economy car 4cyl levels, not at all! Does my BMW do better here? Definitely!

Damn, I need to taste some fine Scotch after writing that!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 PM
gokkav
Advanced

About the typical diesel noise which diesel owners like to claim "is non-existent"... I just came across a Cayenne Diesel review which describes it nicely (on crankandpiston.com). here is an extract:

"The insulation of the Cayenne’s cabin does a good job of keeping things relatively quiet, but I’m not missing much – diesels aren’t renowned for their aural delights and Porsche’s model is no exception. From the driver’s seat I hear little more than a baritone hum; enough to tell me what’s happening under the bonnet but not enough to get my spine tingling. Opening the window reveals a decidedly unsexy and agricultural chugging fron the front of the car. I quickly close it again."
Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are collecting colourful descriptions of the sounds of the Diesel Cayenne, here is another:

http://jalopnik.com/5940222/2013-por...alopnik-review

Let's start off with the engine note. It's a diesel. It sucks. It sounds like an asthmatic moose. So a point has been removed. But the 585-watt, 14-speaker Bose Surround Sound System did a wonderful job of drowning out the wheezing.

Not sure if you have moose in Turkey however to relate to the sound

Quick Reply: New member - advice needed on Cayenne V6