Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to learn to drive like resp and get more miles out of my tires.
Just register with the RESP school of frugal driving, ask for the "savings plan for you tires" Just make sure he doesn't teach you on his hybrid Lexus !
Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just register with the RESP school of frugal driving, ask for the "savings plan for you tires" Just make sure he doesn't teach you on his hybrid Lexus !
LOL
Good one!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

I now have the new "Pirelli Scropion Winter" tires, on my OE 18" rims, with those cheapo ITM TPMS sensors that I linked in my original post.

Tires: Only drove them on dry roads, above freezing so far. They are nice and quiet, but definately feel less crisp in the steering than my summer settup. This is most definately in part caused from going from my 20" summer rims, to 18", and they are winter tires after all! But from memory, they also seem a bit mushier than my Pirelli ice&snow, and Dunlop Winter sport 3D I have had on other vehicles (like K7 also alluded to earlier in this thread). Take that with a grain of salt however, as the different cars and tire size may contribute to that difference as well. Since Pirelli claims these are the best tires in their class on the winter nasties, they may have traded off some dry pavement handling for improved winter grip ... that is fine by me since they still retain a V rating. And no "bonus" N rating ... perhaps when Porsche finally certify them, they may crisp up the N spec versions a bit, but that may be at the compromise of snow and ice traction if they specify a firmer rubber compound for their version.

TPMS sensors: eBay vendor got back to me to confirm vehicle model, and stated that while they have been tested on a 2012 Cayenne, they cannot assure compatibility on 2013. I said go ahead anyways (since 2011-2013 use same OE part number), and they arrived in a few days. Sensors are the blue ITM models you see in the eBay photos, come with aluminum valve stems included (Porsche OE model does not), and worked perfectly! They learned in a block and a half (my OE ones seemed to take longer), and I checked against a tire gage and they are accurate. For less than $200 at my doorstep in Canada for all 4, I consider them a great deal if they last the 5-7 years like the OE ones do. They even claim German chipset

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 11-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

This might be useful (hopefully unbiased) info from German Magazine Autobild for those still looking for winter tires:

If you want "n-spec", seems like you still need last seasons models. In that case the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D rates well above the Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow. I have had both, and don't disagree.

http://translate.google.com/translat...0.html&act=url

If you want to venture to the next generation (not yet Porsche certified), Pirelli Scorpion Winter is #1. Need to pay for the article on Autobild, but Pirelli summarizes the result on their site, and give you some bonus cheesy Cayenne animation videos!

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...on-winter.html
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve!
Happy winter motoring!

Quick Reply: Winter tires!