Sponsored by:

Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Tumpelo
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

First proper winter days in Finland for a long time and my 2004 Cayenne S refused to start. Turns over just fine but does not fire up properly. Temp was -29 Celcius / -20F. Not that cold for a gasoline engine...

Had to take bike to work (only 3 miles).

Anyway went through the options and ordered DEFA 412802 which is a model specific element for Cayenne V8. And also a 4A charger and 2kW cabin heater to match. All works with one plug, of course.

Just put that to google picture search and you'll see how small it actually is. Unfortunately it is for 230VAC (Scandinavia, most of Europe) and I do not know if it is available for 115VAC. Basically you could just hook it up to lover voltage safely but then the power would be halved also. Price here is in range of 100€ / 120$

Winter greetings from Finland.

Tumpelo
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Brit6
Racer

I'm trying to figure out where people would use these? Do people not have garages or heated garages?

It can get to -40C here, but I would never not keep my Cayenne in the garage!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing I am trying to wrap my head around is who rides their bike when it is -20 degrees!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Brit6
Racer

Agreed! Biking should not be allowed in the winter time.

Originally Posted by ddeliber
The thing I am trying to wrap my head around is who rides their bike when it is -20 degrees!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

That's almost t-shirt weather in Finland ;-)
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit6
I'm trying to figure out where people would use these? Do people not have garages or heated garages?

LOL. I have a better car in my garage as well as my wife's, so no room. I do have a large shed covered on 3 sides that houses a boat, my landcruiser, bobcat for snow removal, ride em mower and the cayenne. No heat and is the same temp as outside so it would be nice to have a block heater. Much better for the engine. I still don't understand why there is no accommodation for heating the engine some way. Are any other mainstream SUV's like this. I would like to know.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:40 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Agreed! Biking should not be allowed in the winter time.
When I went to university in Calgary, my buddies and I had a pact to ride to school everyday. We lived about 8 miles from the Uni. Fawk, sometimes riding into the north wind in the morning was nasty. Full face masks, goggles, the works. None of us wimped out, and come the summer biking season we could really motor.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The proper solution is a Webasto, I looked at getting one but wimped out at potential costs and fear that if not properly installed it could wreak all sorts of havoc on the Cayenne`s temperamental electrics

I did install an oil pan heater. As others have said there is no easy "good" place. The lowest part of the oil pan (i.e. beside the oil drain plug) is ribbed and its quite small. I spoke with Wolverine who suggested "Steelstick" which filled in between the ribs, I then sanded it totally flat before fitting a small round heater that just fits.

Its probably undersized but as I see it thats got to be better than nothing. Whatever heat it generates coupled with the fact that it lives in our garage as much as possible is the best I can hope for.

On a side note I changed the oil recently (around 9000 Kilometres since last change) and I noticed a definite difference in getting the oil up to temperature. The old oil came up to full operating temp quite a bit faster (0W 40 before and after)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Tumpelo
2nd Gear

Default OT:garages & toys

Quote:

What the ***, Cayenne in garage? You are not supposed to garage daily drivers / off roaders. Garage gets muddy

Anyway, left an industrial heater under hood over night and got the big C started this morning. With huge "smoke&steam". Started with half block first and then slowly picked up left bank also. Interesting.

Can't say if it had wetted the plugs or just did not get fuel. There was no smell yesterday while starting so maybe I need to check the fuel system. I heard that it should be rock solid in these but you never know
Old 01-08-2016, 03:52 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to admit i am surprised there isn't an option for pre-heat the engines on these vehicles. Surely Porsche expected the Cayenne to be used all year around, and in some cold places.

Driving over the Bow River bridge this morning, the river was steaming as it was -20C outside. Car is garaged, but when i park at work it would be nice to use the plug in stations during the day.

Last edited by porschefan931; 01-08-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

For me this is one of those mysteries in life that has no logical explanation.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

On my old 2004 CS my mech installed a pan heater on the bottom of the oil cooler. I sold it at 215k and it was still going strong. It never saw the inside of my garage and often saw -40.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^This!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got to admit i am surprised there isn't an option for pre-heat the engines on these vehicles.
My guess is that Porsche designed the gas engine to start at sub-zero temperatures. Most gas engines do not have block or pan heaters.
Diesel is another story.... Does the Diesel Cayenne's have a heater option?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:53 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefan931
I've got to admit i am surprised there isn't an option for pre-heat the engines on these vehicles.
Well, there are colder places than Kentucky, single digit nights here infrequent. But even on those single digit mornings my Cayenne Diesel - open parking - has never given a hint of cold starting issues.

Put a pan heater on my old Mercedes diesel, and several of my diesel tractors. But never yet have I been tempted to install one on the Cayenne. I attribute that to Tier IV electronic fuel injection and very high common rail fuel pressure.

//greg//

Quick Reply: Block heater