Sponsored by:

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Sat Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Sat Radio Questions

So I just got my first Porsche, it is a 2005 Cayenne Turbo. I got to say I absolutely love it, nothing like a family sports car!

Anyways, I didn't even realize it but evidently it has Sat radio. At least if I select the audio button and then the Sat button, it goes to a Sat radio screen where it is defaulted to channel 1 and it picks up a signal for that channel. It continuously gives previews of other channels on channel 1. If I go to the channel list, it only has 2 options, RADIO ID and Channel 1. When I choose the RADIO ID it gives a standard 8 character XM radio ID. I used this ID to subscribe to the XM Select package last night.

Now my question is, I am having problems with the activation. The rep said it would only take 5 minutes, however after about 30min I still did not have access to any other channel but channel 1. If I try to type in another channel, it returns a message saying "Updating, please wait"

I have tried to get the signal resent several times using their automated service. I even moved the car to another location to make sure it would receive a good signal. Still no luck. Any ideas? Is it possible that I don't really have the SAT radio option installed?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You need to park it in the open and leave it set on CH1 (with the radio on obviously). You can either call XM or log on to their website and have them resend the activation signal, but yes, it took mine about 20 minutes. I've found that in wooded areas the Cayenne's Sat antenna really sucks. On my drive to work (40min drive) it cuts out about 10 minutes worth, in my '03 Audi it works 100% of the time.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Still no luck, have had XM resend the signal 3 times now and waited an hour each time. The car is sitting in a pretty open area, no buildings or tall trees next to it. Channel 1 comes in great, but when I try to select another channel it says it is updating and then goes right back to channel 1 again. I attached photos of what I believe is the Sat radio antenna under the rear spoiler. Is that the antenna and does it look correct to you?
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

That's the rear window washer nozzle. Good news - the red one is the updated (non-dribbling) version!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Ok, I feel stupid, disregard those photos of the windshield washer tube!

I can't find the actual sat radio antenna, or any other radio antenna for that matter.

Here are some photos of the different screens I am getting on the radio though in case they help. First is the initial screen I come to when I select the Audio -> Sat page, the second is what happens when I try to select a channel other then Channel 1, the third is the screen when I select the Channel List page.
Attached Images    
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Don't feel stupid! There's lots to learn about these cars...

I hope you get the sat radio working...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It took ages on my 08 left it in driveway running for an hour
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry. It's not you, it's "them". As in Sirius/XM. I don't remember if that same "updating" thing drove me nuts in the 958 or the 955, but it sure happened to me as well. Don't remember how it got resolved, but do remember being on the phone with reps for a few hours. Be patient and it'll get sorted out in a week or two

P.S. for 6 & 7.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM
uh60pin
Track Day

Thanks for the replies so far. I did some more research online and from what I have read XM Sat Radio requires PCM ver 2.1 or greater. As you can see with these photos I have PCM ver 1.0. I wonder if I have to upgrade to ver 2.1 in order for the Sat radio to start working?
Attached Images     
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

That is software Version 1 which is "Level A", and should be updated to "Level B" or "Level C" but the Sat radio should still work, your PCM unit is PCM2.1 and DVD based. Your first screen looks like it has uploaded the channels but the third screen after updating looks like their all gone? Anyone? When you have the first screen up try pushing one of the numbers on the Keypad corresponding to one of the stations shown and see if you get anything.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There are several diff s/w versions that get posted, I don't think that one is the PCM version.

Common sense tells me if you can get the Ch 1 broadcast you can get the others. If your P!g didn't have Sat. radio capability you wouldn't get anything related to XM.

I'll look for my PCM upgrade instructions and post the info on checking PCM s/w versions. I know they're on the forum already, maybe I'll look there first.

I agree w/ EW, you're not the first to complain about XM/Sirus service/support.

Edit: S/W versions https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...+s%2Fw+version
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Ok, so what your saying is that my P!g already has PCM ver 2.1 in it however it just has Level A?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
When you have the first screen up try pushing one of the numbers on the Keypad corresponding to one of the stations shown and see if you get anything.
If I try to select another station, say 5 on the keypad, that is when I get the message about it updating. That message appears for about 3-5 seconds and then goes back to the original page that shows the various channels and defaults back to channel 1.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uh60pin
If I try to select another station, say 5 on the keypad, that is when I get the message about it updating. That message appears for about 3-5 seconds and then goes back to the original page that shows the various channels and defaults back to channel 1.
When SAT reverts back to channel 1 & gives previews it's a subscription issue. Gotta keep calling them.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Yes you have PCM2.1 but the earliest software, "Level A" which must be upgraded to a later version to use the newest Maps but it should work fine with the Sat radio so I'd have to agree with the others that it is a problem with XM. I have PCM2.1 with the latest software version and mine never showed updating when I started my XM subscription, it just finally popped in with all of the channels.

Quick Reply: 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Sat Radio Questions