Sponsored by:

Cayenne 958 4 Zone Climate Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM
ikegram
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne 958 4 Zone Climate Control Question

Does the 4 Zone Climate Control option for the Cayenne add an additional compressor for the rear seats, or just additional AC controls and Vents?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

I do not have 4zAC on my CT,but know that those with it do have a second compressor(in the trunk I think)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Since they don't offer it on the CD here in the US, does anyone know what parts would be involved in retrofitting it and what that might cost?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Interesting idea
I wonder if it is possible,and if so-worth it- to retrofit for those who did not get it?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Interesting idea
I wonder if it is possible,and if so-worth it- to retrofit for those who did not get it?
Considering you have to replace some interior trim (B-pillars), add electronics, and since you say there is a second compressor (and all that entails), I'd have to guess not. Still an interesting idea and I'm sure my dogs and son (at least when he is old enough to voice such opinions) would appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

The 4-zone climate control has a seperarate evaporator/heater unit in the rear cargo compartment run by the common engine compressor. A diagram of this unit along with an illustration of the ductwork involved is below. The evaporator/heater unit alone is $915.00 at Sonnen Porsche. I have it and it is worth the option cost if you find or order a vehicle with it. I don't think I would want to retrofit however. Looks labor intensive.
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Ugh. Just makes me even more pissed at them for not offering in the CD here.

I'm sure in a little over a month when I have it all will be forgiven, but I'm really starting to regret not just going with the X5d and saving a good chunk of cash and waiting...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
ikegram
Track Day

Thanks for all who replied, especially wwilliams88 for the very detailed info regarding what is required to install the additional unit.

My question however is why can't this bw installed in the Diesel. I know the AdBlue tank is installed in the spare tire well so is there something else that is unique to the Diesel that is installed in the same area as the rear AC unit?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

No idea why they don't give it to us here. If you look at the Aussie site (for example) it is an available option there.

Since Porsche is so exacting the best guess I have is that they don't believe Americans ever have more than the driver in a SUV so there is no need for cooling/heating in the back
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by ikegram
Thanks for all who replied, especially wwilliams88 for the very detailed info regarding what is required to install the additional unit.

My question however is why can't this bw installed in the Diesel. I know the AdBlue tank is installed in the spare tire well so is there something else that is unique to the Diesel that is installed in the same area as the rear AC unit?
Reasons unknown. It is available in the overseas markets as an option on the Diesel, but not in the US. The international configurator allows it for both the Diesel and the Diesel S. So, no good answer that I could find at this point.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reasons unknown. It is available in the overseas markets as an option on the Diesel, but not in the US. ... So, no good answer that I could find at this point.
I am not certain, but I believe the AdBlue/DEF system (which may compete with space for the 4-way AC) is only in select markets where required for passing emission controls. I.e. I am seeing many such descriptions:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...3-cayenne.html

Porsche has offered a Cayenne Diesel in Europe for a few years, but that model doesn't include the U.S. version's selective catalytic reduction system, which meets this country's stringent diesel-emissions standards. The system includes a tank under the cargo floor for AdBlue fluid that's injected into the exhaust stream to help neutralize nitrogen oxides.

Perhaps somebody outside of America can comment if their Cayenne comes with a DEF or AdBlue system.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
I am not certain, but I believe the AdBlue/DEF system (which may compete with space for the 4-way AC) is only in select markets where required for passing emission controls. I.e. I am seeing many such descriptions:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...3-cayenne.html

Porsche has offered a Cayenne Diesel in Europe for a few years, but that model doesn't include the U.S. version's selective catalytic reduction system, which meets this country's stringent diesel-emissions standards. The system includes a tank under the cargo floor for AdBlue fluid that's injected into the exhaust stream to help neutralize nitrogen oxides.

Perhaps somebody outside of America can comment if their Cayenne comes with a DEF or AdBlue system.
So, could the line delivering ADBlue to the exhaust system be the culprit? It does run in a similar location as the refrigerant lines going back to the rear evaporator for vehicles with 4-Zone air. The tank itself doesn't seem to interfere with the 4-zone components.
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may also be the reservoir interfering with the ductwork. It looks slim, but perhaps not slim enegh to clear the tank.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
It may also be the reservoir interfering with the ductwork. It looks slim, but perhaps not slim enegh to clear the tank.
Do the Diesels have a spare tire or does the ADBlue tank fill that space? The shape of the tank would suggest that the collapsible spare fits around it, but maybe not.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 85 Posts

The collapsible spare does fit around it, I looked at it before ordering my CD.

I also noticed that the rear air vents had much greater flow through them when the climate
control was set to the dash vents only as opposed to automatic mode which greatly decreased
the flow to the rear. This makes sense as the air is being routed through the defrost/dash/foot
vents when in automatic mode.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 958 4 Zone Climate Control Question