Sponsored by:

New Cayenne Owner Changing Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
BillTMI
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cayenne Owner Changing Fluids

I just bought a 2008 Cayenne (6 cylinder) with 54K miles. I want to change all the fluids. I searched this forum and found the following for fluids to use.
Front Differential: Mobil 1 LS 75W90, 1qt capacity
Transfer Case: Mobil 1 ATF or Redline D4 ATF, 3/4qt capacity
Rear Differenial: Mobil 1 LS 75W90 or Amsoil, 1.5 qt capacity
Transmission: ?? I am confused here, Toyota ATF?
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 0W30, Do not change the oil from the top by suction, drain it via the 2 drain plugs from the bottom.
Do I have this all right? Can someone recommend the proper transmission fluid to use? Thanks in advance! BillTMI
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the V6's really use 0w30 engine oil? The V8's use 0w40 or 5w40.

Personally I would hold off on the trans fluid change until somewhere around 75-90k mi. It's a semi-major DIY due to the lack of drain plug and no easy fill dip stick. You need to monitor the engine/trans temp to get the fill level correct.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The specified oil for the V6 is Mobil1 5w30. 0w30 should be fine as well. There is only one drain plug on the V6 oil pan. There is another plug on the bottom of the filter housing, but it really doesn't help, since there is no clean way to drain the filter, and the filter housing plugs are prone to stripping. I always leave the plug in the filter housing, loosen the filter housing, letting it drain all over the place (set a piece of cardboard or plastic on the lower control arm to help direct the flow of oil to your drain pan), then finish removing the filter. The filter is located in the bottom of the left engine mount.
I would also hold off on transmission fluid until 80k (unless you experience problems or leaks). It's expensive fluid, and you'll need a special filler, and a way to determine transmission temperature.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dude, no no no no......I dont believe any of that is recommended....transmission and some of these are 160k miles rec??

Bill Too Much Info TMI

Ow40 on Mobil 1

first post.....I hope you are just trying to post it up.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM
BillTMI
8th Gear

Thanks for the input guys. I will hold off on the fluid changes except for the oil and filter. 5W30 or 0W40 it is. I am experiencing some minor hesitation (multiple times) during acceleration. I am not sure if the plugs or coils have ever been changed. Changing the plugs and coils was next on my list. I am hoping this will fix the problem. Am I on the right track? Should I try some injector cleaner in the gas first? I LUV the way the Cayenne drives. I am officially now an Ex-Mercedes man. Time to sell my E320 and old 450SLC and buy a 911 to round out my Porsche experience. Regards, BillTMI
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

I just cannot fathom that a auto trans can go 80k or 160k before the fluid is changed. The stuff must look and smell like bilge by that point. I would think that all the worn friction material would be suspended in the rancid fluid and when it is replaced things will start to slip. Even if the fluid is expensive and a bit of a pain to put in with the odd ball fill on bottom and the temperature probe, is it not a small price to pay to replace all that contaminated fluid and protect your investment? I have changed ( well actually diluted 50% as I only drained what would come out, the rest is stuck up in the TC) all of my Japanese cars tranny fluid every 15K and they were smooth as new to almost 200K. Not one stitch of problem. Oh well, just my idle musing. still puzzled by this though.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree that changing it now is just preventative maintenance but if you buy all Porsche labeled fluids then it will be expensive. I changed all of the fluids in my '06 Turbos S at 55K and they all showed wear, including the tranny fluid. Now, if you don't have Durametric and don't feel comfortable with the tranny fluid change then it will cost a lot more taking it to someone who knows who to do it. I have a friend back East that rebuilds Aisin & ZF trannies and is a believer in changing the fluids every 50K. He also believes if you haven't changed them by 100K then don't as some old Varnish and sludge on higher mileage trannies can build up in the tranny may break loose with fresh fluid and plug up some of the small passages in the Valve bodies causing more serious problems.

Quick Reply: New Cayenne Owner Changing Fluids