2009 GTS - Looks Great with Hoss Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 2009 GTS - Looks Great with Hoss Performance

While we are looking for a new 2013 Cayenne for Ms. TexasRider and debating the options, diesel, V6, S etc there is something I found.

If it was going to be my Cayenne I would have a 2009 GTS.

While I realize looks are subjective, these models look GREAT. I swear I would have one right now. I must have not been looking when they brought these out . They look better to me than the new model. It looks more muscular and more curvy both. Beautiful looks, high perforamnce, power to burn, no turbos, and never met a gas station fill up they dont like. Do these have more issues than the V6's or what is wrong with them? What I mean is why arent these still The Cayenne - or maybe they are.

The Jennifer Aniston of Cayennes. What a car is all I can say about this model GTS.

= = = = = Almost Anyway LOL =====

Old 08-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope you started up the GTS otherwise you missed the best part:
Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Reading some of the older posts here on the forum, and seeing that picture of yours in your sig line is what got me looking at the 2009 , so it is your fault. I had to walk by it over at the dealer too. They want my wife to come in drive a diesel 2013, but if that 2009 is still there we might have a hard trading session instead.

For her, I probably need a new 2013. But as I said, if for me, I would be over there when they open .

I really like yours Andy , and I am sure you do too! Have you had any issues other than filling the tank, and keeping tires and brakes on it?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I hope you started up the GTS otherwise you missed the best part:

Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

As with all German cars that I've owned in the past & present, the GTS isn't any different. There's always got to be some minor nuisance that has to get fixed but rarely something major. If you've ever owned a Japanese car, you'll understand what I'm talking about; they just don't break.

Two major issues that I experienced with my GTS were:
1) Sunroof water leak which seeped into the floorboard and corroded a CAN-BUS connector; preventing the car from starting. (A fairly rare however common issue with the 9PA-Gen I & 9PA1-Gen II models and leaky sunroofs/evaporators)
2) A slight jerking motion at cruising highway speeds necessitating replacement of the entire transfer case (replaced under factory warranty)

On the other hand, you really can't compare driving the Cayenne to an Acura or Lexus. It really isn't the same. At the end of the day, isn't getting pleasure out of driving your car the whole idea?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are amazing looking versions -
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Shaolin
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Andy E.
As with all German cars that I've owned in the past & present, the GTS isn't any different. There's always got to be some minor nuisance that has to get fixed but rarely something major. If you've ever owned a Japanese car, you'll understand what I'm talking about; they just don't break.

1) Sunroof water leak which seeped into the floorboard and corroded a CAN-BUS connector; preventing the car from starting. (A fairly rare however common issue with the 9PA-Gen I & 9PA1-Gen II models and leaky sunroofs/evaporators)
2) A slight jerking motion at cruising highway speeds necessitating replacement of the entire transfer case (replaced under factory warranty)

On the other hand, you really can't compare driving the Cayenne to an Acura or Lexus. It really isn't the same. At the end of the day, isn't getting pleasure out of driving your car the whole idea?

Hi Andy E,

First, this is the type of review I've been looking for, thanks!

Shaolin: I've never owned a German but all my friend that owns bimmer suggest not to buy a used out of warranty bimmer; will you have the same suggestion for general Porsche and generally for 09' / 10' Cayenne GTS?
Shaolin: In CA we don't really have to worry about this but it's not like it never rains here. Did you get this replace under warranty, if not, how much it cost to fix? Any recurrences? 2) A slight jerking motion at cruising highway speeds necessitating replacement of the entire transfer case (replaced under factory warranty)
Shaolin: Is this a common problem?

Shaolin: Yes, and this is one of the reason I'm looking for this car plus a kid is on it's way. Daddy gotta have it's fun! Btw, how many miles on your GTS so far?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shaolin
Shaolin: I've never owned a German but all my friend that owns bimmer suggest not to buy a used out of warranty bimmer; will you have the same suggestion for general Porsche and generally for 09' / 10' Cayenne GTS?
Once again, I reiterate my original post when I stress the fact that German cars are somwhat problematic. They do come with their fair share of issues. If you're coming from a Japanese vehicle, you may be in for a surprise. Also, if you're not a hands-on type of person that can fix minor issues on your won and rely heavily on your dealer, a CPO'd (Certified Pre-Owned) car with a factory warranty may be a better bet for you.

Shaolin: In CA we don't really have to worry about this but it's not like it never rains here. Did you get this replace under warranty, if not, how much it cost to fix? Any recurrences?
Yes, the issue was repaired under the factory warranty. the repair consists of disassembling the Molex connector, cleaning the electrical contacts and packing with grease, sealing the entire connector with silicone adhesive and/or heat-shrink tubing.

A slight jerking motion at cruising highway speeds necessitating replacement of the entire transfer case (replaced under factory warranty)Shaolin: Is this a common problem?
Not that I know of. The dealership claims that they have not had many failures of this type in the past.

Shaolin: Yes, and this is one of the reason I'm looking for this car plus a kid is on it's way. Daddy gotta have it's fun! Btw, how many miles on your GTS so far?
A little over 60000 km (Roughly 37000 miles).
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Shaolin
Cruisin'

Hi Andy,

I do all my regular maintenance for all the cars I own/owned but that's pretty much it. Nothing related to what you have described and those issue I may most likely have to bring it in to a dealer for replace or repair.

I know a generic mechanic (non-dealer) will pretty much not service a M3 or M5, what about Cayenne GTS?

Your advise pretty much helped me decide not to get this car as daily commute (100 miles) but maybe only purchase as a weekend family car...

Quick Reply: 2009 GTS - Looks Great with Hoss Performance