Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the MB ML350, Cayenne, Q7 TDI and X5d

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the new ML is a looker at all. It falls apart for me as a vehicle shape I can't figure out. There certainly isn't much heritage left. So the interior is fairly nice but slightly Lexus generic. The 958 interior is more intersting to look at. The ride is up to modern standards but the typical Benz wallow is there plus it has overboosted steering. Not seeing that quintessential win yet. So is the transmission so much more brilliant.. Not really. So how about the powerplant? Power figures are similar. The porsche just feels better to drive. The ML is cheaper all optioned out than the cayenne. If I wanted to save money on a vehicle that didn't handle as well I'd get a new touareg. But I'd always wish I had a 958.

I bet the new grand cherokee diesels will be a good used buy in a few years..

Last edited by endless_corners; 02-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Traded my 09 ML550 with tow package for a 10 Cayenne GTS. The GTS handles a lot better and is more comfortable. The ML's (IMO) have too much body roll/sway and drive too car-like even with the AMG package and 20" wheels. Although my ML was modified I think would beat my C-GTS in a 1/4 mile but my GTS feels planted, more driver engaged. and it's certainly a lot more comfortable. But, it also feels heavier. So, given a choice, I prefer the Cayenne over the ML's. Most car mag head-to-head comparisions also give the nod to the Cayenne. I've driven the newer BMW X3 and X5 with their carazy iDrive and other complicated user interface controls and walked away ASAP.

My wife drives an un-complicated 06 X3 with 76K that she won't part with. It's been very reliable. I'm not an Audi, VW, RR or Escalade fan so I can't provide feedback.

Last edited by 4ocious; 02-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
LRBill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Just a funny thought - all great cars, I wonder what we sound like to outsiders as we debate this?
You sound like you gents have the financial capacity to debate the finer points of these higher end vehicles.

Feel fortunate and be thankful....

Quick Reply: Test drove the MB ML350, Cayenne, Q7 TDI and X5d