Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the MB ML350, Cayenne, Q7 TDI and X5d

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM
silverbullet69
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good options but i am reminded of an old chinese proverb "Happy wife Happy life" : )
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the new BMW diesel going to be tri Turbo? In OZ they are discounting 30% plus on new X5s at the moment!
In the Car mag test they said the Cayenne diesel was the best of the current models. I wonder how it compares to the Audi twin turbo?
Funny, in that, my wife loved the Cayenne interior, and in fact it was what swayed her to the Porsche...and then we drove it !! Game Over!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the BMW diesel is a better engine than the vag. I
Want a cayenne with the BMW diesel haha.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,501 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I am currently driving an X5 diesel and really like it. Got a really great deal with the Eco credit and invoice plus 500 when ordering back in Dec 2010. BMW CCA rebate is 1000 if a member for more than 1 year and there are other incentives right now like an app that credits 700 and other driving events that you can get another 1000 off. One could be had below invoice, mine was right at invoice ending up with about 10k off. One drawback now is the new body style is coming out next year and the diesel engine may change to a smaller one than is currently available. Overall, I like it, but I am defiantly coming back to Porsche when the lease ends next year. I think your wife would like it! I am female and if you get it, just tell to load up on hand wipes since the diesel handles are usually pretty greasy and smelly!
All good points, I'll look into the Apps you mentioned. I did ask the salesperson when the new model will be out and he said it would be a 2014 model. Probably a 7 or 8 speed vs. the current 6 speed tranny, better mileage, better this and that but we can't wait that long and first year models are never a good idea.

I really want to go with the Cayenne, but there are a lot of things going for the X5d to pass up.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The current X5 is good now. The 6 speed tranny holds gears longer than the 8 speed and is actually better for the current engine setup. However, the new X 5 diesel from what I understand will be lighter, but have a less powerful engine. They are not bringing the current Euro 40d setup. Anyway, I am not sure they will even introduce the diesel for 2014. For more detailed info, checkout the bimmerfest forums! Good luck!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 PM
bucksbud
AutoX

Just my thoughts,

Had a X5, it was ok, in the shop often, free repairs but a hassle. Ride was ok. It was an 04.
Also had an LR3, beast, many many problems and recalls, handling was doughy but was great on the beach.
12' X3 for the other half. Very sporty, transmission is quick. Fit and finish are not any of the others.
330 xit sedan, awful car.
08 535xit, great until warranty ran out. Will never buy a BMW again. Still a blast to drive. Will miss it, have a special place for a manual sport wagon. Those days are over.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you ever make a final decision Pete ?

Me either .

Time is tick, tick, ticking for me ......
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,501 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Did you ever make a final decision Pete ?

Me either .

Time is tick, tick, ticking for me ......
It's crazy because all that we test drove, we went back and did it a second time and it really was so close that I had to put the pros and cons in 4 rows.

The bottom line is that we liked the Cayenne, but it was just too small inside and the most expensive. One came on the lot this week and the salesman called me and said he could do 5% off, but it was his only one.

Owning an Audi off warranty is just scary and after driving the Cayenne and the Audi right after it, it was a disappointment.

The X5 is nice and besides the Cayenne, it had the best steering feel and it's 2nd on the list. Ultimately, I finally drove an ML Bluetec and the pulling power and transmission was unbelievable. The MB has the best torque of the bunch, most interior space and best looking interior. The downside of the MB is the steering feel at low speeds. The feel is better as you get moving. It's not a Cayenne in terms of feel, but I'm not buying a sportscar -- I've got a GT3 and race car if I want to carve around the corners. The SUV has to have utility, safety and comfort for the wife and kids and brute force for the times I need to tow the race car.

The only vehicle I can get in 4-6 weeks is the X5. Good luck trying to get a build on an Audi or Cayenne for delivery this year. They just aren't producing enough of these cars or TDI engines from VAG. I've got a deposit on an ML for late Nov. early Dec. delivery, but everything is fluid as there are no hard numbers on prices. It depends on what programs are out there at the time. If you are former military, you can get really good incentives on the MB.

Edit: I just went back and read my original post and the vibration in the rear axle of the MB was a gas model, not diesel and the diesel was smooth as butter. This one I drove last week was a diesel. The BMW didn't have all the options we wanted, but is 2nd best on our list.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I am going to the Porsche dealer this afternoon and make one more effort to close the current $20K gap to something acceptable between the MB and the Cayenne, by the combination of seeing what options we might could live without, and any discount they might feel that they can offer. I would like for it to happen, butI am not optimistic.

The good news here is that both the Porsche and MB dealers have enough orders in that I can expect to get one of either in October or early November.

There are worse things that could be in the garage for the next 4 years or so than the ML 350 Blue Tec. Feels like enemy territory though LOL.

With the savings I can go shop for a Cayman, or even a 1980's 911. And see waht kind of REAL problems I can get into.

So instead of being here in the Cayenne forums, I can go over there and see what we can stir up.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you aren't holding your breath about getting the porsche people to move on price... you could definitely do worse than that new benz... i think with all the A/B services and the proximity to the dealership... it definitely sweetens the pie for the benz a fair amount. What does your lady like the best?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Went from a 2005 Cayenne S to a 2010 Touareg TDI and now just ordered a Benz ML-350 BluTec loaded over the Cayenne Diesel....

Would love to stick to the Porsche, VW, Audi (Q5 too small - Q7 too big) family but the newly redesigned back in 2012 ML350 Oil Burner in my opinion is now the Oil Burner SUV to beat....

Last edited by JFScheck; 02-25-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was also tempted by the ML oiler but in the end did not think I could live with the handling and went TT instead, no regrets
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a funny thought - all great cars, I wonder what we sound like to outsiders as we debate this?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Would hate to think lol
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Went from a 2005 Cayenne S to a 2010 Touareg TDI and now just ordered a Benz ML-350 BluTec loaded over the Cayenne Diesel....

Would love to stick to the Porsche, VW, Audi (Q5 too small - Q7 too big) family but the newly redesigned back in 2012 ML350 Oil Burner in my opinion is now the Oil Burner SUV to beat....
Mehhhhhh.

Honestly, the MB Is very staid. The MB Tex is awful and the leather not much better. COMAND is pretty bad although it was recently improved. The worst part of the vehicle is the steering. It's feather light and forget about any feel. But the engine is a stonker and it looks good in a parking lot. It's not a bad vehicle, and a decent price but just doesn't do much for me.

Quick Reply: Test drove the MB ML350, Cayenne, Q7 TDI and X5d