"Car" Magazine June 2012 Cayenne Diesel group test

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Car" Magazine June 2012 Cayenne Diesel group test

howdy
just picked up the latest issue "Car Magazine UK", to read the group test of the new;
MB ML250 CDI
and rivals
LR Disco 4 HSE
BMW X5 3.0 M Sport
Cayenne Diesel [20" rims]

some excerpts...but to save the suspense the Porsche first;

[in summary];

So, if you want a stylish luxury, sporting dynamics, top-of-the-six-cylinder-class mpg and emissions, impressive refinement, plus an ability to do some actually quite ambitious off-roading, then the Porsche Cayenne is unassailable. Frankly its blend of abilities really is hard to argue against.

in the article;

..meanwhile the Cayenne beats the conceptually similar X5 at absolutely everthing bar the fact you can get 7 seats...

[re off-roading]...the biggest surprise is how eager the Cayenne is to get the work done. No Disco, but close...

The middle ground between LR & X5 is straddled by the Cayenne, but in a strange sort of way because its both better to drive on road and its better off road than the X5. This means it naturally obliterates the D4 when it comes to driving dynamics, and yet easily accomplishes far more than any owner will ever ask of it off-road

But its out on the road where the Cayenne really comes into its own. The steering feels surprisingly meaty in car parks but lightens- perhaps fractionally too much - at speed and offers a very linear, well detailed progression from lock to lock, and you flow down the road marvelling at how dynamic the car that's just monstered a muddy hillside feels. The Porsche feels lighter than its closest rivals, although it ctually isn't. But there are two area where the Cayenne absolutely rules: one is its engine, which feels more powerful and churns like double cream when you extend it, compared with rivals' more gravel-in-a-cement-mixer accoustics.
Secondly theres the ride quality. Our Cayenne comes on steel suspension -air suspension is available - and GBP1000 worth of adjustable dampers [PASM], and this is the key to its brilliance. The Porsches aggressive sport setting is actually closer to the X5's spikey ridequality, and yet you need no more than comfort on the road.

...lots of buttons; great seating position.

the Cayenne might not have the loungey ambiance of the D4 and its scattered buttons are'nt nearly as intuative as the BMWs or Mercs idrives, but it feels very special in its own sportier kind of way- particularly satisfying is the low set ideal driving position

about the other cars;

The D4 is brilliant off road and was the writers choice only because this was more important to his usage. Doesn't try to be sporty, you just settle into its character and obviously has the best space and rear seats that actually work.
Very comfy, stately.

[in fact my choice is the D4 for the reason that it's bigger than the Cayenne. I would really love the 7 seats at times and the load space, I could fit my MTB inside, better middle seat comfort, but the wife prefers all of the above about the Cayenne, she loves the interior and all the buttons!!]

The X5 drives very well, excellent dynamics but a very aggitated ride, poor off road, spins the wheels alot before the electronics do their thing, the engine has some poke but needs revs, rear seats are very small, dash looks "drab & cheap - like a budget supermarket", good seats [ not like our X5s then :-00].

The ML has a very good ride, but rolls more than the Cayenne, is also poor off road, very good interior, poor seats, flat & lacking lateral support, average overly light steering, 4cyl motor is good, expensive when optioned, most car like of the 4 cars.

So my thoughts;
I wanted to wait till the end and see how the Cayenne went, but my wife grabbed the mag and had to read it out! I think she is also quite excited to be getting our diesel.
I agree about the motor, its really good and as I have stated before I preffered it over the V8. The diesel has instant go, there is no hesitation. I like the buttons, one push to get the job done. It may not suit a casual driver but an owner soon knows where everything is.

I have driven a diesel on 21" &20" both steel suspension and no PASM. the 21" car rode very well and in comparrison to a V8 with air & PASM i didn't feel the extra $ worth it. I felt a marginal change from comfort to normal
PASM in Oz costs $3790 & Air with PASM $8190. More tham double the rest of the worlds prices. Yes we get completly fleeced here!
If it was cheaper then i would consider the air, but few diesels get ordered with it , so at trade in time we won't be too disadvantaged.
I would prefer the two tone leather, but thats also $11,900

So its always nice to be vindicated on ones purchase. I read once in sales that the buyer is always looking for reasons to vindicate their purchase to everyone else! So win!

[please excuse spelling]

Last edited by blazing928; 08-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not surprising and agree with everything they said, but wonder why they did not test the RRS instead of the D4(LR4)? The Cayenne still would have obliterated it, but its apples to apples. The D4 has no onroad sporting intentions, at all, trust me.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US facts

Thanks for this nice review and summary of the test. Actually, it might be even more positive for the Cayenne if it would have been done with the US versions. The 4 cylinder ML250 is not available in US (nice mgp) and the BMW X5 does not even come with the newest engine. They only offer an old 3.5d combined with a 6 gear auto which is not used in Germany, anymore. Most of my friends in Germany buy the 4.0d, which is a much better engine together with the 8 gear auto.
Actually, when I ordered my Cayenne Diesel, I added PASM, it is about $2000k in US, because I did feel a difference and also most test reports in Germany strongly recommend getting it. I will provide more info and experience on various road conditions once I can drive my one which should be delivered in about four weeks. Also, I never understood the criticism about the many buttons. Come on, after some time you know where to find which one and in the end, everything is logic.
Funnily, also my wife was very much in favor of the Cayenne over any other car we looked at. The interior is just so much more stylish and of higher quality. She is an artist and also looks at it by good rules of design.
I do own Daimler stocks and my brother works for BMW, but still we decided for the Cayenne...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by PN Cal
Thanks for this nice review and summary of the test. Actually, it might be even more positive for the Cayenne if it would have been done with the US versions. The 4 cylinder ML250 is not available in US (nice mgp) and the BMW X5 does not even come with the newest engine. They only offer an old 3.5d combined with a 6 gear auto which is not used in Germany, anymore. Most of my friends in Germany buy the 4.0d, which is a much better engine together with the 8 gear auto.
Actually, when I ordered my Cayenne Diesel, I added PASM, it is about $2000k in US, because I did feel a difference and also most test reports in Germany strongly recommend getting it. I will provide more info and experience on various road conditions once I can drive my one which should be delivered in about four weeks. Also, I never understood the criticism about the many buttons. Come on, after some time you know where to find which one and in the end, everything is logic.
Funnily, also my wife was very much in favor of the Cayenne over any other car we looked at. The interior is just so much more stylish and of higher quality. She is an artist and also looks at it by good rules of design.
I do own Daimler stocks and my brother works for BMW, but still we decided for the Cayenne...
Interesting. I had no intention of going with PASM. I'going to study this a bit more.

I'm in Socal. Which dealer did you order from?

PEte
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered in the Bay Area. In Southern California I would check out Porsche of Beverly Hills. They are listing tons of Diesels on their homepage (once I checked them they had 110 Cayennes ready to be sold). Maybe some do have PASM so you could test drive it. When I asked them for discount, they were quite open to it, just too far away for me.
I am sure, choosing PASM or not is a personal thing as some like it harder and some softer. As I am going only with the 18 inch wheels I liked the addition to also get it harder on some roads but also being able to have a soft ride when going on trips with the family. I did not order the air suspension. First, I set myself a limit financially (I could have easily spent $10k with nice stuff that might be standard on some other models) and second, it adds weight to the car plus a compressor that needs maintenance.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey for $2000K it better wash windows.
Phil

Quick Reply: "Car" Magazine June 2012 Cayenne Diesel group test