Sponsored by:

04 cayenne s, does not start after fueling>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
mtesh73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cayenne s, does not start after fueling>>

just changed plugs and coils, didnt fix the problem. my guess is its the one of the fuel pumps, going to try don's troubleshooting method from a prior post.

after refueling, regardless of the amount, the truck does not restart. i have to step on the accelerator and turn the key simultaneously to get it to turn over, at which point it starts, but roughly. for my own curiosity i refueled the other day with the truck running and it wanted to stall, but i kept an even 2000 rpm throughout the filling and the truck continued to run, a bit rough for a minute but it didnt stall.

i searched but nothing returned an exact match, any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I can't remember the exact phrase to search but this topic has been covered. It involves a check valve or tank vent valve that fails and exhibits this symptom.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
mtesh73
Advanced

yep, i am pretty sure thats it. its stuck. thanks for the reminder. hopefully it works out!!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thing is located top side of the engine. I think it's termed a purge valve.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the reason this happens (my explanation) is that the fuel system is constantly presurised. The check valve maintains the pressure when you open the gas cap at the back until you close the system again, this is also why gas cap seals are important.

you will need to remove the throttle design cover
pull up it comes right off. then you will need to remove the 4 t 30 torx screws on the drivers side coil cover.
then that cover will pull up.
Use a large flat blade screw driver or a penny to remove the 1/4 twist locks that hold down the drivers side engine compartment cover (the big black one) there should be 4 1/4 ttwists
Then remove the rearblack panel, 1 1/4 twist in the center and 2 on the pass side of it. Remove the panel
the purge valve is in the fron of the engine between the head and the intake on the drivers side .
Looks like a black cylinder little bit bigger then a film canister with a hose on one end to the front and the back is a hard black plastic line that runs along the intake and comes up in the back and goes to a rubber hose on the fire wall.
Un plug the valve and push it off its bracket, undo the clamp with a pair of plairs and pull the hose off (sometimes you need gently grab the hose with the pliars and twist to loosen it up from the valve, you can damage the valve just not the hose.
In the rear you will need to do the same, the rear hose never comes off easy I think they glue it on, use you pliars to crush the plastic line where the hose is over it. once it is crushed enough it will come off. The line is pushed into 2-3 gold clips along the intake, it will pull right out of them, You also may need to unplug the injectors on the drivers side bank just to make it easier to route.
Really I promise you its a lot easier then my 2 page explanation shows .

Part number 948 110 202 01
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 PM
mtesh73
Advanced

great. thanks for the information. hopefully will be back on the road on tuesday.

Quick Reply: 04 cayenne s, does not start after fueling>>