Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stall due to jammed wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine stall due to jammed wheel?

I noticed our 958 has this weird tendency when turning the steering wheel while not moving, the engine would act like it's about to stall. This past week while parked on the side of the road, the engine actually did stall when I turned the wheel and bumped the curb (car not moving). Is this something the dealer can correct? or is it "by design" again?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the power steering pump might be putting too much of a load on things, or could be a very weak battery or alternator. It could even be a vacuum leak that the idle control system can't compensate for at idle when you put a load on it by using the power steering. Either way, it should be correctable.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My new Cayenne hasn't arrived yet, but I doubt it's normal. However having worked with hydraulics on my tractors and implements, it sounds like your steering pump is not bypassing as it should. When the steering reaches extreme stops - or is impeded before reaching one of those stops - a pressure relieve valve should automatically open. It opens a path to permit the steering fluid to flow. When it can't flow, the pump bogs down. And since it's an engine-driven pump, the engine bogs down as well.

Don't know enough about the pump to know if it's repairable/rebuildable at anything below depot level. Hopefully you're still under warranty.

//greg//
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to bring it in and have them look at it.

Quick Reply: Engine stall due to jammed wheel?