Cayenne "PowerBook" edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Cayenne "PowerBook" edition

For anyone willing to pay US$2600 for PCMII with six inch display and fiddly push-wheel entry system in the Cayenne, maybe I could sell you an Apple PowerBook with a fifteen inch display plus a handheld GPS unit and software mounted in the car for $500 less ... ?

Which solution would create the greater value or impact the resale value or deliver the greater usefulness or satisfaction or functionality?

Just kidding.

Anyway, in product terms, a comparison like this puts a bright light on the absurdity of a single-purpose product that costs more than something considerably more versatile and functional.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100% about the versitiliy difference, but the purpose-built automotive equipment is (hopefully) ruggedised to handle the harness of living in a car. If I rigidly mounted my Sony laptop on the centre console of my 928, it'd be dead within a year. Extreme temp cycling would kill the LCD and the constant vibration would shake it to bits. And laptops are already tougher than their desktop counterparts. Its surpising just how much this adds to the cost of electronics.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually built in navigation systems are very much better than powerbook with handheld gps. Built-in units have internal electronic compass and odometer to compensate temporary bad satellite visibility and increase precision. In real life nav systems work and laptop doesn't so well.

I consider VDO Dayton or other third party as cheaper alternative.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Early in-car nav systems used sensors (from accelerometers to a yaw sensor based on a gyroscope) because the GPS receivers were junk.
Today, I can ride a motorcycle with a Magellan Sportrak and it zeros in on my position to the right side of the road (if I have the right route map data loaded ... doh) and in the car, connected to an old laptop using Micro$oft Streets and Trips, it's pretty much flawless.
I wasn't serious about the idea, but if you did want to retrofit a GPS nav system to a car, the PDA based software and GPS units include turn by turn and voice interaction etc.
By the way, here's the dealer-installed price for PCMII ...

SYSTEM(PCM) / NAVIGATION 955 044 900 02 $4354.29 plus a few hours of labor ... yikes!

Quick Reply: Cayenne "PowerBook" edition