Sponsored by:

PCM Navigation CD

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCM Navigation CD

My dealership didn't have any navigation CDs in stock when I bought my Cayenne this weekend. They told me it would be shipped to me within 48 hours, but it hasn't arrived after 3 days and we were hoping to use it on a trip this weekend. Does anyone know where I can get access to a CD long enough to burn a copy? I'm near Charleston, SC if anyone nearby can help me out.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd suggest your dealer is the only one capable of helping out -- but there may be registration problems using a CD that's not "registered" to you and your card. Plus, burned CDs (aside from being a blatant copyright violation in the scenario you describe) might not read properly in the OEM drives navigation systems use (caused by differences in the reflectivity of CD-R blanks versus factory printed CDs and the colour of the pick-up laser) but worth a try. I might try that just to see what happens. I think you might still have a registration process that can't be side-stepped.

This sort of provokes me to comment that Porsche is years behind in their technology now. When will they go to DVD? How about a slot-loading in-dash CD changer? And MP3 playback? Groan. DVD player? Rear LCD panel?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Received my CD today. I'd settle for a mini-jack input in the dash that I could plug my iPod into.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Right. Good point -- there should be audio in/out connections hidden back there somewhere. The "AV" switch is real in the Euro models and the phone option means the head unit (of the audio) is set up to mute on incoming calls etc.
I guess the Cayenne is a green field of opportunity for the after-market car audio video shops.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 PM
dawktah
Racer

Jim,

Have you played CD-R and CD-RW media in the truck yet? I have begun the process of assembling some various music CD for road trips and want to make sure they both play in the PCM. Otherwise will have to stick to CD-R.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Allart
Intermediate

Is the Nav CD a CD or a DVD? If it's a CD, how can it have more interest points that the previous 6 CD version?!?

Some dealers say it's a DVD, others state that it's a CD...

In comparison: Audi uses 12 CDs and has very little details.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

It's a CD. There a two CDs that cover the entire continental US. I can't comment on the points of interest as we've barely used it at this point. The maps of our area seem quite detailed. They are likely using some type of compression on the map data to reduce the CD count.

Quick Reply: PCM Navigation CD