Sponsored by:

LA Auto Show Cayenne and Toureg photos+others Prt1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:45 PM
RobertG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LA Auto Show Cayenne and Toureg photos+others Prt1

1) the porsche display this year was probably the worst ever in about 10 yrs. Very sparse. No race cars, just a very production cars.
2) the Peppers had their own room. Many many many people did NOT like the pepper. they dont like the exterior. The massive amounts of cheap plastic used inthe engine bay and the amazingly cheap plastic used inthe interior (however in my view its nicer than the base X5). Gotta love that 8 MPG!!!!!
3) The Touregg VW actaully has more cargo room? weird but true. Also, the Touregg uses superior interior materials than porsche...weird but true. How can everyone love the touregg yet hate the cayenne? arent they the same truck? again, weird but true.
4) There is less leg and head room in a cayenne than there is in a 996...weird but true. I cant fit in it. I have photos to prove it!the back seats are useless (so i guess it MUST be a porsche)
all of the exterior, wipers, etc trim is offthe VW touregg
Alot of people at the show that have them on order were not happy but there said that they would buy one and then flip it and try to make some profit.
Sorry butthe concensus atthe LA auto show is that Porsche has REALLY screwed the POOCH! (and that isnt just me talking)
Last note: Honda element....raging success for Honda! No bad things to say about this 16K box on wheels. I fit! I could be 8ft tall and still fit in it....it truely is the best crap hauler ive ever seen!

seat down and way back and my head STILL hits the roof! the Pepper aint biult for the tall guy

On the Passenger side , again, seat all the way down and back and my knees hit the dash , bigtime.
Not much room for anyone that has legs in the back seat

the photo kinda lies. it looks like there are gobs of cargo room but when you shut the clam shell hatch the room dissapears due to the slope of the rear window.
Ok i didnt notice this the first time I saw the engine. Ok it looks awsome, BUT all the that silver and black intake and valve cover goodness that you see. You think its steel or aluminum. Nope its ALL plastic...........and CHEAP-THIN plastic

VW touregg interior shots.........the VW interior is much nicer and better built in my view...its amazing how similar it is tothe pepper's
Old 01-04-2003, 11:49 PM
RobertG
Racer

ext of the touregg
caddy XLR
Aston AR1

Venerable Audi R8
Saleen super car
BentleyLemans Prototype racer
Old 01-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Robert

thanks for the post... and call outs.
Really, 8 mpg for the TT?

We'll get to see it in person at the Chicago Show.

And thanks for the other shots. That Aston looked wonderful, very DBR-1ish. Is that a concept, or something they plan on building?

M in C
Old 01-05-2003, 12:08 AM
RobertG
Racer

i lovedthe AR1,,,,,,,,,,Butthe funny thing is that its got the same cheap crappy Becker head unit that was in every Boxster and 996 in 2001
Old 01-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Thank's for the pic's! I can't wait to see the cayenne at the Chicago auto show! So far it doesn't look good though.

Lead Foot 944
Old 01-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robert,

Thank you for the pictures. I wonder if there will really be a market for those intending to flip their Cayennes for a profit.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,
I believe the Aston is a Zagato bodied special edition roadster that Aston will be selling in the US next year. From what I read there are 99 planned to be built. Also, there is no roof whatsoever offered. Aston offered a coupe version only in Europe, also with only 99 units built.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Thanks Rick

I imagine pricing would be north of $200,000 for such a low volume

M
Old 01-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Deanger
Racer

Went to the auto show. Totally agree. Technical success is meaningless if the car is an ergonomic failure (not sure that ergo is the right term). The Cayenne's size is very limiting. Very, very disappointing.

Funny thing is, you know what I think is going to be the problem for the Cayenne in the long run. The MPG. I know, Porsche crowd don't normally check to see how many miles they get per gallon, but many considering this vehicle will. Maybe not the first year of production but... In the long run the MPG will doom this car. You heard it here first.

Signed,

Former Cayenne waiter.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is an interesting thread. For many weeks, some Rennlisters have been arguing that there is too much negative press being levied against the Cayenne by folks who have never even seen one. However, now we have posters who have seen it firsthand who seem even more disappointed than they expected.

It's probable that a test drive would push things a bit back towards a more favorable evaluation, but I still wonder about the long-term appeal of the Cayenne. It seems to be shaping up to be a possible answer to the question that nobody asked - a new type of hybrid car that may or may not have strong marketability.

How many SUV buyers place sports-car-like performance above styling, cabin/cargo space, and material quality in terms of importance? How many want to spend that kind of money? When spending that kind of money, will people accept a virtual VW clone?

Again, while I'm not personally attracted to the Cayenne, I would like to see it succeed for Porsche's sake. I'm just not sure that it will happen, unless the female buyers really take to the vehicle. IMO, a somewhat practical, sporty minivan / station wagon with a high driving position and the Porsche nameplate may be most attractive to moms who would never drive an outright sports car.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:57 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>How many SUV buyers place sports-car-like performance above styling, cabin/cargo space, and material quality in terms of importance? How many want to spend that kind of money? When spending that kind of money, will people accept a virtual VW clone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

F'in a Bubba (think Gus Grissom, in The Right Stuff)

If you and your adults passengers have to stuff yourselves into a P-fish, and have no real room to haul anything - except for what is being towed - so why again did Porsche bother to build this leisure vehicle?

Seems to me that the last thing this world needs is another smallish SUV, added to the list of daily commuters who drive alone. (And even though I commute alone, at least my P-car gets 18 mpg overall).

Sorry unwavering P-fish faithful, business decisions and execution remain in question...
Old 01-05-2003, 03:11 PM
John from WA
Racer

Being 6'2 and after reading this post, I am especially happy not to have waited for the Cayenne. My Range Rover has more headroom then any car I have ever been in. And it seats 5 adults... with luggage.

Sorry guys, I still think Porsche really blew it on this one. A couple of years from now you will see a new CEO saying something to the effect of

"We have terminated the ill-conceived project that my predecesor developed. We are taking a one time $XXXX charge against earnings this quarter. We are returning to our roots, upgrading the 911, and we will see you at the podium of LeMans"
Old 01-05-2003, 03:33 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's consider this;

Choice 1.
Porsche developed the Cayenne for the NA market, but had to make it smaller to appeal to the ROW.

Choice 2.
Porsche developed the Cayenne but had to make it smaller because it's target buyer (non Porsche) couldn't cope with a larger vehicle.

Isn't that ironic, they may have fallen between two stools (or is it four?) and finished up pleasing no one.

Thanks to RobertG, you've saved me a trip to LA. I'll go see it in San Jose later this week.

Slip slidin' away? I'm trying hard to stay open minded but I don't feel any great excitement or anticipation. I watched the video last night .

If ROW was really a consideration then the the gas mileage will kill it (agree with Anir insights on that one) in Europe and elsewhere.

The only logic that makes sense to me (at the moment) is that Porsche is aiming this thing at non Porsche buyers whom they hope in time to convert into Porsche car buyers. Thus selling additional cars, but what kind of cars will they be?. The fourth Porshe will tell the tale.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:22 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Well Maybe we can take the P Fish and take out the seats put 4 recaros in it, lower it as much as possible, possbly having to roll the fenders, loose the AWD.

Hopefully they will depreciate faster than a boxster

I think the only way the could make it better handling and all was to make it small. Guess the same is true with the X5 its smaller than 5 series wagon.

But with any luck the Motor will make it into a new and better 928 type car to compete with the likes of the 575, viper, Z06, Cobra, etc

does anyone know the weight and dimensions of the motor?

MD
Old 01-05-2003, 07:53 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

How about this for a cross-over killer estate - sans the whimpish Robin's egg blue finish ?

[IMG]
[URL=http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/naias/pikespeak/pp007.jpg[/IMG]

* RS6 V8 engine with twin turbochargers power output of 500 hp. advanced FSI direct gasoline injection
* 0 to 100 km/h in only 5.0 seconds (0 – 60 mph in 4.7 sec) and takes it on to a governed top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).
* maximum torque of 630 Newton-meters is available from as low an engine speed as 2000 rpm upwards and remains constant over a broad speed range.

Hmmmm...

Quick Reply: LA Auto Show Cayenne and Toureg photos+others Prt1