Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Jerry said
Good luck with the test drive!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I was just having a sandwich and sending the travel agent a email. I am sure Porsche can arrange it all but I thought I would get a jump on it. See how many options we might want, amd what to save a few marks, euros, dollars, or whatever on to spend while on the delivery.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm considering ED on mine, but as my wife has family in England we'd like to head over there to see them. Does anyone know what the extra cost is to drop off at the London point?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:56 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I was just having a sandwich and sending the travel agent a email. I am sure Porsche can arrange it all but I thought I would get a jump on it. See how many options we might want, amd what to save a few marks, euros, dollars, or whatever on to spend while on the delivery.
What to see...

Stuttgart is OK. Not much historic left. Visit Porsche and Mercedes. Both have nice museums. Eat at [url]http://www.ochsn-willi.de/.[url] Another good place to eat is: http://www.calwereck.de/.

Go to Rothenburg o.d. T. It is not all that far from S-Zuffenhausen. Travel the A7 all the way south until it ends (near Austria). There is no traffic and you can drive fast.

Go to Munchen. The best place: Deutsches Museum. Hotel: Hilton Munchen City. It is 3 three blocks from Museum and very near downtown.

Near Stuttgart is Castle Hohenzollern. Very nice.

If you bring the wife, there are lots of spas in Baden-Baden. Keeping a wife happy is always good.

There is also Nuremberg. Nice city.

If you want a longer drive..Nuerburgring. You likely will not be allowed to take the car on the track because of the plates. But it is neat to visit. Also if you are in that area...visit Burg Eltz...probably one the best castles in the world.

That should occupy a week and a half.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all the recommendations Dana and that should help me and a lot of Euro Delivery guys.

We stayed 2 weeks in the middle area there a couple of times before. I did not go to Stuttgart though.

I have worked all the over the world, and a lot of it was hot. I swear one of the hottest (temperature lol) nights I have ever spent was in Rothenberg. I had to sleep on the tile floor. The Night Watchman was about to pass out on the tour. We got there on one of the five or six hot days a year. It must still be a record.

When we got over to Heidelburg the next day I went to McDonalds and got 4 super large ICE - I said hand it over!

I truly like the Alsace and Bad Bad too. So it would have to be on the list again.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Where to go from Leipzig?
First,I would suggest you head to Berlin on mostly unlimited autobahn
Fascinating city,definitely worth a visit..stay at the beautiful Adlon,perfectly located right by the Brandenburg gate and the US embassy,facing the Tiergarten park
In the Stuttgart area,another must see area is the Black Forrest..after a visit to the Porsche museum,I would drive over to Baden-Baden and then up to this exquisite hotel nestled high up in the forrest: http://www.traube-tonbach.de/
Afterwards you could head down to Munich,stay at the VierJahresZeiten(Four Seasons,then on to Lake Constance(Bodensee) where you will be right by the border of Switzerland and Austria with many breathtaking alpine roads and passes
Another interesting,and close-by, possibility from the Black Forrest would be France's Champagne region http://www.relaischateaux.com/royalchampagne/
That should be enough to get you started...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Where to go from Leipzig?
First,I would suggest you head to Berlin on mostly unlimited autobahn
Fascinating city,definitely worth a visit..stay at the beautiful Adlon,perfectly located right by the Brandenburg gate and the US embassy,facing the Tiergarten park
In the Stuttgart area,another must see area is the Black Forrest..after a visit to the Porsche museum,I would drive over to Baden-Baden and then up to this exquisite hotel nestled high up in the forrest: http://www.traube-tonbach.de/
Afterwards you could head down to Munich,stay at the VierJahresZeiten(Four Seasons,then on to Lake Constance(Bodensee) where you will be right by the border of Switzerland and Austria with many breathtaking alpine roads and passes
Another interesting,and close-by, possibility from the Black Forrest would be France's Champagne region http://www.relaischateaux.com/royalchampagne/
That should be enough to get you started...
Thank you Jerry.

If I keep adding options to the Cayenne, or upgrading to the S, etc heck I wont be able to go as the dealer will get all my money .

When we came around from the Alsace toward Lecht, way back in 1998, we went on the "old road" across Furkha (may not be right) and Grosslocher or something to that effect. Just 2 motorcycles with me and my wife and Ray and Nancy our friends. In some places it was just wide enough for one small car . Cobblestone roads and trails. We saw and met cattle folks out there - hey like me Lol - and had just a ball. One of the top parts of out three weeks in the heart of Europe.

Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Warning:

DO NOT SPEED IN SWITZERLAND

They have many speed cameras and speeding fines are very high. The 120kmh speed limit in CH means 120kmh.

-Dana
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Warning:

They have many speed cameras and speeding fines are very high. The 120kmh speed limit in CH means 120kmh.

-Dana
+1
did speed once, never again. the only thing that saved me was driving a car with diplomatic tags. otherwise it would have been VEEEEEEERY expensive and it took about an hour to get clear. anyways, I was about 25km/h over limit, which would be 30 - 70 EUR in Germany w/o any hassle if paid on the spot.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by DanaT
Warning:

-Dana
Very good reminder
ALSO APPLIES TO FRANCE
Germany is one of a kind
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Germany is one of a kind
not really. I'd say that Switzerland is one of a kind, you can negotiate with policemen in most European countries (even Austria where policemen are really strict) and most of them are easy going if you acknowledge that you were speeding and you want to pay the fine cash on the spot.
in Poland for example, 99% of the time nobody gives a ... how fast you are going. most of the traffic cameras do not work and if you hang on a local who's speeding, you never ever pay a fine.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
user 83838290
Banned

one more thing. although I'm a V1 user, do not take it to europe and drive around with it unless it's concealed somehow - it's a felony to posses it i.e. in Austria and Switzerland, you automatically go to jail, no questions asked. you don't even need to have it turned on, just having it in the car is enough.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
not really. I'd say that Switzerland is one of a kind, you can negotiate with policemen in most European countries (even Austria where policemen are really strict) and most of them are easy going if you acknowledge that you were speeding and you want to pay the fine cash on the spot.
in Poland for example, 99% of the time nobody gives a ... how fast you are going. most of the traffic cameras do not work and if you hang on a local who's speeding, you never ever pay a fine.
Yes,really!
In my humble opinion:very much so,for sure and without a doubt the most pleasant country to drive a performance car
Drove briefly in Switzerland and Austria,and mostly followed limits,not going much over and enjoyed the scenery
Spent most of my time in Germany and Normandy(Northwestern France)
France has some of the best roads I have ever seen,but unfortunately also with an increasingly very heavy police presence
Though in Normandy I know my way around my area very well and was able to find some nice straits and twisties to enjoy the CT
I believe there is no other country on earth I know of where you can enjoy your car the way it was meant to..on a daily basis,no muss and no fuss
Old 08-14-2012, 02:51 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I am living 500 meters (in a straight line) from Switzerland. Right after you cross the boarder from Germany, on the Swiss Autobahn, 80kmh limit going downhill. Speed camera right there.

Germany, listen to the radio and watch ahead. You will generally know where all speed cameras are.

But really, there are plenty of areas without limits so just find those areas. As I mentioned the A7 south towards austria is great. Very little traffic. Realistically, 115-125mph is all the faster you can really expect to drive in Germany on a normal day. Traffic is just too heavy to drive faster.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the take home.. is we are spoiled in the US in re: to exceeding posted speeds.

Quick Reply: European delivery