Sponsored by:

Radio problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
loliver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Radio problem?

Today I turned the Cayenne off and when I restarted the car, I got no sound from the radio from any source. I turned both the car on and off a few times and after a few starts, the radio was working again. Anyone experience this before?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
toad
8th Gear

It must be radio problem day. Just happened to me this morning also!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:45 AM
ettsn
Pro

It might be that the key was caught between start and run. Many accessories are disabled during the start mode, so if the key doesn't click all the way back to run things don't work.

-Paul
Old 06-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Stirs
Instructor

Same problem with mine several weeks ago . .it fixed istelf overnight (in my case turning the car on and off didn't work).

ettsn: The radio is receiving full power as you can change stations, turn on/off, etc. . . .just no sound.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen this twice as well. It appears to be some kind of software bug. Shutting down the car did not help, however I don't remember if I tried to remove the key and start again. The sound came back after parking the car for a few hours.

ACW
Old 07-06-2003, 03:20 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Ditto for me! Last week all audio was quiet including my girlfriend navigator! Back to normal the next morning...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 AM
DanP
Instructor

Well, happened to me after filling up yesterday. The NAV screen was dark, power switch did nothing.

Since I was already driving I couldn't turn the car off, but kept pushing buttons and eventually the radio came back.

Then I changed the station and it died again.

All is working today though. Annoying!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Curt Egerer
Intermediate

I've had this problem twice. Everything on the radio/CD appears to function normally - just no sound! After the vehicle was turned off for about 30 minutes and restarted, the radio/CD worked fine. Sure seems like a computer glitch - sounds like alot of people with the same problem - anyone know of a 'fix'. -- Curt
Old 10-12-2003, 11:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if any of you are nerds like me but this does smell of POST failure on boot. Next time it happens try the master reset ritual.

Key in, turn to on, do not crank. Leave about 40 seconds then off and remove.

Might have an effect, let us know if it does. By the way the same process resets drive by wire and reduces lag.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I spoke with a Porsche technician last week about this and other issues. He was familiar with the complaint. He said the PCM unit actually checks the car for the correct VIN number when it's turned on. Sometimes this verification gets scrambled and you have to get out of the vehicle and lock the car before this verification process is reset.

Mine has only gone out once and I can't recall the circumstances well enough to confirm this fix. If it happens again I will try it though. I know I did stop, turn the key off and then restarted the car and that did not fix it. If I remember correctly, the tech said they had a software fix for this. It's worth calling your dealer if it is a recurring problem for you.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Curt Egerer
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips! If it happens again, I'll give those a try.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 PM
rocketman
AutoX

it happened once or twice to my wife and once to me shortly after purchase, but it has not happened since then (about 4 months). When it happened to me, music would play and none of the head unit controls would do anything, but the steering wheel controls worked!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone had this issued fixed?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:11 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

It happened to me a couple of times. When I took it in to get it looked at, my service advisor said that I had a faulty amplifier. They replaced the amplifier (they had to order it - about 3 days wait) and it has not acted up since.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:12 PM
philted
Intermediate

All: I experienced the above-described glitch with my radio on Saturday afternoon while driving home from Road Atlanta. Worked normally on Sunday morning when I drove back to Road Atlanta (Peachstate DE last weekend). Here's another one -- my radio won't hold the local NPR station. It plays for awhile then switches to a local rock station, skipping over several other presets. I must have a right-wing radio. Anyone else experienced station skipping?

Quick Reply: Radio problem?