Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003 | 12:03 AM
Hoku
Cruisin'

My radio switches stations for no apparent reason too. I wish I had a solution. If you get one, please let us know. I will do the same.
Old 10-29-2003 | 12:13 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

same problem with me i just had to turn off the car and turn it back on
Old 10-29-2003 | 03:46 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are going to thank me for this tip.

PCM comes with TP traffic program, some stations create ghost alarms and if your TP is on, your PCM will switch to them to have you listen to the latest road conditions.

I've heard some stations in the US are broadcasting false TP alarms to switch the listeners to their stations!

Just uncheck TP from your settings under AUDIO (set button) memorize the setting with the seat controls and never get bothered by TP again!

You are welcome...

PS: TP is a part of RDS
Old 12-24-2003 | 06:21 PM
Curt Egerer
Intermediate

Same freakin' problem again today. No sound. Tried everything suggested in this thread to no avail. Guess I'll just hope that it will eventually cure itself again ........ frustrating to have no sound on a $60k+ vehicle .......
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:48 PM
Curt Egerer
Intermediate

Working again ..... wait 30 minutes, go restart vehcile, everything works .....
Old 12-25-2003 | 09:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Lightbulb

Curt,
Have your Porsche service department check the revision of your amplifier S/W (they can do this easily with the PST2).
Depending on the date of manufacture/amplifier H/W revision level, they will either load new amplifier S/W (via update CD from headunit) or just replace your amplifier with the latest revision level.

Technical yada yada follows...........
Turning the car off, waiting, master resets, etc do not address the root cause of the problem and is an intermittent "fix" based on the nature of the bug and the design of the MOST infotainment ring.
The amplifier is connected DIRECTLY to the battery in the vehicle (not switched), so the only way to 'reset' the amplifier would be to pull the fuse, thus removing it from the battery and then waiting ~4 minutes (for internal backup capacitors to discharge).
The amp is normally in a very low (less than 1 mA to) sleep state until a normal wakeup event is sensed; i.e. when you turn on the headunit (ignition key is irrelevant). When the headunit is turned on, it transmits a LIGHT signal (remember that MY03 Porsches are MOST based infotainment systems....plastic fiber optics connect headunit to amp to cd changer back to headunit in a ring topology....NO audio wires) to the amplifier. If the amplifier fails to wake up upon sensing the presence of light, then you get a no audio condition.
Given the fact that the amplifier has 2 microcontrollers and a DSP inside, S/W fixes are the first avenue developed (the nature of electronics today). There are also different revision levels of amplifiers, hence the need for Porsche to check the H/W revision to see if the latest S/W is compatible. If not, then a newer revision amplifier is installed (already having the latest software installed by the manufacturer)
End Technical yada yada...................

This (hopefully) should resolve your problem.
Happy Holidays,
Old 12-25-2003 | 11:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

An amp went out on ours.
Old 12-29-2003 | 12:06 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Radio worked this am, stopped for gas, nothing. All functions work, Nav, Cd, tuner, but no sound. Have turned the car on and off, now waiting the 30min to try again.
Old 04-25-2011 | 06:08 PM
IH8-V8
7th Gear

Any word on how much Porsche charges to update the software?
Old 04-25-2011 | 09:13 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

My dealer claimed 1/2 hour of labor to do it. They are idiots though, they didn't even know how to do it and when they thought they knew how they found out they didn't even have the new Nav Disc set with the newer PCM software. What year of Cayenne is yours?

Quick Reply: Radio problem?