XM and DVD Changer in Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XM and DVD Changer in Cayenne S

Just brought my S back after having XM Radio (Pioneer System) and a 10 inch Audiovox Screen and 10 Disk DVD/CD Player installed. The DVD Changer is by Audiovox and was installed in the left rear compartment, opposite where the CD Changer went. Also included wiring for Playstation and a 350 watt power inverter in the same space. XM base unit was installed in the now useless spare area. The installed placed the control unit out of sight in the eye glass holder in the roof console.

I was a little skeptical about how XM would sound going through an FM Demod, but I have to say that with the Cayenne Bose system, XM sounds better than in XM capable Pioneer Tuner that I installed in my Suburban. The sound is crystal clear, no distortion or hiss. I am very pleased.

One of the things that the installer at Car Toys did was since the Cayenne does not have an ignition driven hot wire, he installed two switches, lighter, under the steering wheel (can't see them without looking under the dash), so that I could turn the power off to the DVD Changer and XM unit.

As an added bonus, he found a place to install a TV antenna as the DVD Changer has a built in tuner. I can't find the antenna but the reception is quite good.

The DVD Changer and Screen operate off of wireless headphones but I can also tune the movie into the PCM II head unit and everyone can listen to
Old 05-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Could you post some photos?
Old 05-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure, I get some as soon as it gets light around here again.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Did you add XM to the stock stereo, or did you have PCM, or...?

I'd like to add XM but not quite sure how to go about it since i have a turbo with the PCM standard. No way to add a head unit up front, so no idea how i'd control an xm tuner, even if it uses fm modulation...
Old 05-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott, I added the Pioneer system that is meant to connect via an FM Demod, through your existing antenna connection on the back of the PCM II. Then you tune your FM Tuner to 89.1 and you get the XM signal.

There are at least two ways to get XM into a car, the way I described above or to by a head unit that allows a direct digital connection. Typical, the FM Demod approach is inferior to using a new head unit that is XM ready. However, I found that with the BOSE system in our Cayenne's that the FM Demod qorked quite well. You can hear a hiss when switching channels or when the XM signal is not received. However, when the signal is coming through I can hear no interference or hissing.

The Pioneer system has a box that is the XM receiver and hook up to the XM antenna that has to be mounted on the roof. Small black box, hardly noticeable. Then there is a control unit that I placed inside of the eyeglass holder in the roof console. It is out of sight unless you need to change channels.

All in all, I am pleased with the install, will try to add to pics in the near future.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: XM and DVD Changer in Cayenne S