Sponsored by:

Touareg vs. Cayenne S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Touareg vs. Cayenne S test drive

I use my SUV as a truck. Keep tools in it (200-500lb), lug construction materials in it (sometimes). For some R&R I travel 250 miles to tow my boat (6000lb load) into a local lake. I view the SUV as a tool to serve me (not the other way around), it should be reliable and should be able to look good dirty.

This is where I'm coming from (my perspective):

The Pepper... Hauls ***. Nice fit and finish. Some rattle in the rear with seats down, I don't care about that. Rear window door latch didn't work, mildly annoying. Too much radio, that Boise round thing where a tire should be upsets me as a poor allocation of space for an SUV.

Treg... 310 HP but you can feel the weight- accelerating - in that car with the V8. I tow in high altitudes (6000') and this is a concern. I can't imagine the six handling it (like 4X4 qualude - Hondas old Prelude problem). Fit and finish looked good. I didn't like the asthetics of the high contrast door panels. Normal radio and a small spare tire. Interesting to me was that the spare tire compartment was exactly the same (tools, air pump and layout) as the Pepper except for the spare which is the same size as the Boise thing.

Both handled lateral swerving the same (Treg had low profile tires). What I found impressive on swerving was that both cars didn't lean heavily. I think that the heavy running gear lowers the center of gravity.

There is a $14,000 difference between the Pepper & T reg. I value the Pepper at $7K more than the VW (value of badge and xtra guts).

Anybody got an accomodating California/NV dealer that will discount on orders? (not "in stock" cars)

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:25 AM
JeffES
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the "small spare" fits under the Bose Subwoofer. It's the "extra battery" garbage that clogged up the spare space in early USA Cayennes.
J

Quick Reply: Touareg vs. Cayenne S test drive