Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 oir change

Thanks I will give it a look!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Great writeup. Anyone know if there is a DIY oil and filter change for an 08s?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
Great writeup. Anyone know if there is a DIY oil and filter change for an 08s?
'08 S is essentially identical, but you have the advantage of a dipstick. The trim under the front bumper is a little different, but you'll figure it out.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Thanks again so much for taking the time to post such useful and detailed explanations
Pretty amazing write-up
Cheers
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Thanks again so much for taking the time to post such useful and detailed explanations
Pretty amazing write-up
Cheers
I thought this thread had been moved to DIY and closed by mods...

Anyway thanks, and you're very welcome!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Fat Albert
1st Gear

Nice write-up thanks very much!

Is changing the oil yourself going to void the factory warrenty that came with the car? I know the answer is no, but here is my question. Say you have a engine or transmission failure in the future and the dealer has no record showing the car was serviced in the past. Could you be a potential risk that the dealer refuse to do any repairs?

I came from BMW community and is used to the free 4 year 50,000 miles maintaince.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fat Albert
Nice write-up thanks very much!

Is changing the oil yourself going to void the factory warrenty that came with the car? I know the answer is no, but here is my question. Say you have a engine or transmission failure in the future and the dealer has no record showing the car was serviced in the past. Could you be a potential risk that the dealer refuse to do any repairs?

I came from BMW community and is used to the free 4 year 50,000 miles maintaince.
According to the warranty booklet, the two major requirements for maintaining your warranty are a) that you provide proof that warranty work has been done as scheduled in the manual, (IOW keep your receipts) and b) that appropriate replacement parts (to be determined by Porsche if a problem arises) have been used. I keep my receipts for oil and filters, purchase only factory parts, and log the dates and mileage in my warranty book.

Per Federal Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975) a manufacturer must state explicitly any restrictions on your warranty, and there is nothing in the warranty book that says that Porsche must do the service on your car. If you want to change your oil, and you follow the guidelines above, you can't be denied warranty coverage unless maybe you forget to add the oil and run the engine dry.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
According to the warranty booklet, the two major requirements for maintaining your warranty are a) that you provide proof that warranty work has been done as scheduled in the manual, (IOW keep your receipts) and b) that appropriate replacement parts (to be determined by Porsche if a problem arises) have been used. I keep my receipts for oil and filters, purchase only factory parts, and log the dates and mileage in my warranty book.

Per Federal Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975) a manufacturer must state explicitly any restrictions on your warranty, and there is nothing in the warranty book that says that Porsche must do the service on your car. If you want to change your oil, and you follow the guidelines above, you can't be denied warranty coverage unless maybe you forget to add the oil and run the engine dry.
I believe as part of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that if a mfgr. were to require the consumer to have all work done by the mfgr (or dealer in this case) they must provide the service free. Otherwise you are allowed to have the work done where you wish. In addition they must prove the work done elsewhere caused the problem you present for warranty claim to the mfgr. (they can't claim the oil change you had done at Jiffy Lube is the reason they're denying your claim of brake problems).
Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mike for the great writeup and helpful pictures. As one suggestion, if you rotate picture 7 counter clockwise 90 degrees, it will line up with the orientation in pictures 8 and 9.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nhirsch
Thanks Mike for the great writeup and helpful pictures. As one suggestion, if you rotate picture 7 counter clockwise 90 degrees, it will line up with the orientation in pictures 8 and 9.
You're welcome. Good suggestion, but at this point if I do that all the text in that pic will be sideways and I'll have to reload all the pics after #7 to keep them in proper order. Too lazy to make the changes; you'll have to reimagine the photo in your head. Think of it as a spatial orientation excercise!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:05 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Just a note on the 2013 Base Cayenne. I changed my oil during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I do have PDCC. The oil filter is on the drivers side of the V6 engine and the PDCC hoses do not block access in this case. Otherwise, it is similar to what is shown in this thread. You need a 19 mm shallow socket to remove the oil pan plug and an 6 mm hex bit to remove the drain plug from the filter housing which is pointing down instead of sideways. Filter cap itself is removed with a 36 mm socket as before.

Overall, very messy compared to the 997.2, but not a difficult job. I added 6.6 quarts back into the engine after the drain and the gauge shows properly full, not overfull. Capacity of the engine is supposed to be 7.08 quarts with an oil filter change.

To the OP. Thanks for the writeup, photos, and tips.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

lets bring this excellent thread back to the TOP!

Mike, did you to lock out the air suspension before going under? I dont want the car squating down on me!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I did this DIY y'day. The only thing i would add- jacking up the front passenger side yielded a fair amount of oil. I got about 3/4 of a qt to comeout. It took about 1:40mins only because I let it drain for about 40mins!
thanks

Last edited by kosmo; 08-19-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 958 V8 DIY Oil Change w/pictures