Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne sales success?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And they have 48 911s and 54 Boxsters, so what's your point?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:12 PM
RobertG
Racer

the point is, they have a HUGE inventory....must be a volume dealer?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:03 AM
NMoore
Racer

What is the point of the thing (at the price) without the air suspension, which has not as yet been available on the S?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:15 AM
IndyTim
Intermediate

Nick, the PASM is available on the S, there just aren't very many of them. Porsche Exchange in Chicago has sold a couple of them, so far. In fact, I missed my test drive of one today by a matter of hours; it sold just before I got there.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by IndyTim:
<strong>Nick, the PASM is available on the S, there just aren't very many of them. Porsche Exchange in Chicago has sold a couple of them, so far. In fact, I missed my test drive of one today by a matter of hours; it sold just before I got there.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What's the point of a 996 without ceramic brakes? What's the point of a C2 with a 3.4L F-6?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Expect to pay a premium in UK if you want it now.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:20 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts
Jim I'm not sure what you mean about the 3.4 but I don't think the ceramic brakes are as essential to the driving experience in the 996 as the air suspension apparently is to the Cayenne. While I can't speak from experience a number of drivers, owners and auto mags have described the car as very lacking without it. If I were to get a Cayenne I would probably insist on it or buy something else.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

George, I have driven both setups and own an S with steel springs. Personally, I didn't think the air suspension is worth the cost. My dealer had an S with air suspension on the lot that I passed on. For NMoore to make a comment that the vehicle is somehow irrelevant without the air suspension is ridiculous on its face. My comment about 996s with the pre-2002 3.4L engine being correspondingly irrelevant is similarly ridiculous. I was just making a point.

Many are saying that the PCCB brakes are essential to the GT3 driving experience, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a GT3 with iron rotors. Would you?

I guess the hit-and-run attitude of some non-Cayenne owning board participants can be a little irksome to those of us who have taken the plunge. Lurking is one thing, but posting uninformed remarks like the one I originally replied to lowers the quality of discourse.

By the way, I've read several reviews that question the ROI of the air suspension on the Cayenne - probably as many as those who feel it's a must have option. Like many things, this is a subjective issue. Until someone posts some definitive skid-pad comparisons or other objective data, I would reserve judgment.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:52 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts
I haven't driven one with or without hence must qualify my remarks- but just how much is the air suspension?

And yes I'd take a GT3 with steel brakes any time!
Old 05-29-2003, 06:45 PM
IndyTim
Intermediate

The PASM option is US$3200.

For that you get control over both the ride height and the firmness of the ride, although the two settings are not totally independent.

And you also get a center console that no longer looks like it's missing a control.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:33 AM
NMoore
Racer

The point of course actually being that for the car to succeed at a relatively very high price (the REAL base is what, $61,000?), in a segment even further crowded by the entry of Porsche and VW, it probably needs the differentiation of the more sophisticated suspension. That, and I have owned air suspensions and I like them.

VW launched the peculiarly-named Phaeton without availability of the 8-cylinder gas engine or big diesel, and wonder-of-wonders sales numbers were way below plan. Obviously that model has other issues besides that, but it has not been entirely tested in the market on that basis.

Quick Reply: Cayenne sales success?