Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S Called it Quits

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012 | 05:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I doubt very much is any dealership technician is going to attempt intensive repairs on the Cayenne engines.. too complex, too many special tools, and they probably aren't trained on them. Replacement is the best option. A factory rebuild should be just as good - or better (since someone was checking everything on the rebuilt engine - not just a computer) then a brand new one.

More and more as cars become more complex mechanics are being relegated to parts swappers, not diagnostics and repair.
Old 05-08-2012 | 05:26 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by thrashx
Our beloved Cayenne S with 36K miles broke down on us last week. The dealer called just now to let us know that it appears to have been a cam issue. Something happened and they think it damaged the left engine bank. They are talking with Porsche to see how best to handle. The only known persistent issue has been the tik tik sound we hear from somewhere below the center console. It's faint at times and it's been an issue since new. The dealer has looked into the issue on several occasions but they've always come back as normal operations for a Cayenne. So frustrated! Sounds like major engine repairs are in order and likely a huge hit on vehicle value. I'm more upset because we almost own this vehicle.
I've heard that ticking sound too on our 2011 Cayenne S. I was told it's the High Pressure Fuel Pump(HPFP). Car wouldn't start on Friday and was flat bedded to dealer. Thus far they think it's just the HPFP, but they are investigating. Ours has 20k miles. Let's see how it pans out.
Old 05-13-2012 | 12:07 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by thrashx
Our beloved Cayenne S with 36K miles broke down on us last week. The dealer called just now to let us know that it appears to have been a cam issue. Something happened and they think it damaged the left engine bank. They are talking with Porsche to see how best to handle. The only known persistent issue has been the tik tik sound we hear from somewhere below the center console. It's faint at times and it's been an issue since new. The dealer has looked into the issue on several occasions but they've always come back as normal operations for a Cayenne. So frustrated! Sounds like major engine repairs are in order and likely a huge hit on vehicle value. I'm more upset because we almost own this vehicle.
Sent you a PM. Sounds like I have the same issue as you.
Old 05-13-2012 | 02:17 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

With regard to the ticking, I have the same issues which is very noticeable at idle with the music and air off. The dealer says that there is a "purge valve" which intermittently make this noise as it pressurizes (depressurizes?) the system. The actuator is located on the left top of the engine and you can feel it vibrate and hear the clicking when it activates. In the photos, you can see it at the brass connector. Porsche is apparently aware of the issue and they are working on a solution to dampen the sound (so they say), though this issue does not affect the operation of the engine, it's just annoying. I am not sure this is the same problem as you are reporting.

Old 05-14-2012 | 03:54 AM
911PERVY
Banned

I would bet the "exchange" engine is a brand new one, Porsche has warehouses full of old cores and warehouses full of brand new engines! Maybe in 5 years or so this may change
Old 05-14-2012 | 07:01 PM
thrashx
Intermediate

Dealer finally called to report they do not intend to replace the engine. As explained to me, the cam adjuster failed and as a result, the piston came up and bent the valves. They are replacing the valves and thats it. They say the cylinder has no damage. Does this sound reasonable? I'm really ticked off now because my vehicle has 36K miles and the powertrain warranty covers me to 50k. It really sucks to have major engine repair at 36k. Any suggestions for how best to proceed?
Old 05-14-2012 | 07:29 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Generally, with an interference engine, there shoudn't be piston or cylinder damage if a piston comes into contact with a valve. However, I have seen valve guide and head damages from such a failure.

Just the same, I would visit the dealership when the engine is partially disassembled and take some hi-rez photos of the cylinder, the piston head and the valve train. Keep them on file for future reference (if needed).

One way or another, I'm sure that the technician will inspect both when disassembling/reassembling the damaged components. The dealership is getting paid to do the work so I doubt they'll cut corners on a warranty job..

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S Called it Quits