Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor replacement thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The regulator has had problems, which is why there is an updated part, as you are already replacing the blower motor, see it as preventive maintenance.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, guys. I had begun to take apart the dash and not just the lower area. I accidentally broke a plastic clip on the dash(the left screw inside that big rubber bumper was not all the way undscrewed and now I cannot put it back together until I get a replacement bracket....

I would recommend understanding clearly you only only needed to remove the lower area for the air filter, and a VERY LONG EXTENSION TO UNDO THE 6 BOLTS around the fan and unplug it.

I hope this saves the pain for some of you others out there.......Im trying to find an indy shop today to repair.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 AM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the regulator and resistor also located under the passenger side dash?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes.. the regulator is down there but you have to remove the glove box.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am trying to determine if both parts need replacing. Currently at random the blower intensity will change on its own...

Does anyone have a DIY for removing the glovebox?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Mine has been squirrelly for a while, finally **** the bed tonight. Found a replacement for $85: http://www.carparts.com/details/Pors...FS4aOgodVFsATw
Old 12-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

All done! Based on this thread.

My underdash panel was secured with a single Torx screw at the middle on the edge nearest the passenger seat. Once that was undone, there were two clips to the left and right of that screw that held that edge up. Pull that edge down and at the rear are two large horizontal pegs that fit into slots near the firewall. Pull the panel toward the seat a couple inches to pull the pegs out of the slots and drop the panel down to expose the electrical connections for the footwell light and the two 12v outlets. After disconnecting the wires, the panel just comes right out.

Mind had six 7/32" hex-head screws holding the blower fan in place, rather than Torx. I think the blower motor may have already been replaced once in my truck, because of this and because the blower motor I pulled out was a VW part, not a Porsche part. I used a small power screwdriver with a 1/4" socket adapter and had no problems reaching the two furthest screws.

The biggest problem is a thick bundle of cables running along one side. It covers two of the screws. I snipped a zip-tie holding it in place and used a screwdriver to lever it out of the way so I could get at the two screws. The one nearest the seat wasn't too bad, the one toward the firewall as a major pain to reach. I did eventually manage to wedge the nut driver in there and get enough bite to get it out.

That rear screw was even more painful when mounting the new blower. There is a groove in the back of the housing that should mate to a lip in the ducting under the dash. I spent several mintues working the tab for the screw around the cable so that the lip would fall into the groove. Eventually, I got tired of messing with it and, figuring that five screws was probably enough, I cut that tab off. After that the new blower went in easily.

Reverse to get everything back together, which took about two minutes.

I am happily anticipating having heat - and a defroster! - in my truck again!

The groove is visible in this pic. The part of the assembly that is in the foreground of this picture mounts closest to the firewall, and you can see the groove and the tab I cut off.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at PET, there seem to be two different regulators for the '05 Cayenne S. Anybody know how to tell which one is the right one for my car?

It's a Canadian 2005 Cayenne S. It has two separate temperature controls for the left and right but only one fan. It does not have the rear mounted auxiliary air conditioner. I can't find the option code sticker...

While on that topic... The foot-well flapper motor seems to have died. My feet are freezing! I can find the part no for the servo. But does anyone know if this is the root of the problem? What is the usual cause on these cars? It used to constantly cycle open/closed before it died completely. Does anyone know how hard it is to change? The dealer estimated something like $1500!

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you put your vin in pet, the yellow highlight is the part your car shipped with.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Looking at PET, there seem to be two different regulators for the '05 Cayenne S. Anybody know how to tell which one is the right one for my car?

It's a Canadian 2005 Cayenne S. It has two separate temperature controls for the left and right but only one fan. It does not have the rear mounted auxiliary air conditioner. I can't find the option code sticker...

While on that topic... The foot-well flapper motor seems to have died. My feet are freezing! I can find the part no for the servo. But does anyone know if this is the root of the problem? What is the usual cause on these cars? It used to constantly cycle open/closed before it died completely. Does anyone know how hard it is to change? The dealer estimated something like $1500!

Thanks
I'm only seeing one regulator - 95557234102 (95557234101 supersedes to it) for all 955 variations.

95562490601 is the left side footwell servo motor, and this is a common failure. I do believe it's one of the easier servo motors to replace. You'll need a 7mm wrench. If you have a scan tool, you can put the servo motors in service position before you begin, or recalibrate them when you're done.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
While on that topic... The foot-well flapper motor seems to have died. My feet are freezing! I can find the part no for the servo. But does anyone know if this is the root of the problem? What is the usual cause on these cars? It used to constantly cycle open/closed before it died completely. Does anyone know how hard it is to change?
Ditto...

I searched for threads, but didn't find anything explanatory or definitive. I found this thread on RennTech, but it's among a group of Brits (RHD cars), so I'm not sure how well it applies.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Where did the online PET for Cayenne go? Or where can I look up my option codes? Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is there any point in trying to lube my older fan?

Ordering the parts tomorrow and will probably get a new regulator also.
From the pics I've seen it doesn't appear to be a clean shot of anything to lubricate ?
Once out does it come apart for lubrication am I wasting my time.
Need heat, it's cold here in Boston so if it's worth trying to lube it I will.
Is the VW Toureg unit the same?
ECS has non OEM units for both vehicles with the same part numbers?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Last edited by s4for5; 02-07-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:49 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lube is a bandaid. Once it's squealing, it'll start back up at some point. VW unit is exactly the same. Everything behind the dash is VW. I'd find a VW unit rather than after market unit.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update..ordered VW Toureg part # 7L0820021Q Hope it fits :(

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Lube is a bandaid. Once it's squealing, it'll start back up at some point. VW unit is exactly the same. Everything behind the dash is VW. I'd find a VW unit rather than after market unit.
Pelican was about the best price overall for the fan, regulator and a few cabin filters.

Motor - 282.00 7L0-820-021-Q VW part
Regulator - 138.00 955-572-341-02 Porsche part
Free 3 day shipping

Sunset was 400.00 for the fan and 189.00 for the regulator

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower motor replacement thread