Sponsored by:

06 cayenne s door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Bradinwva
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 cayenne s door wont open

Hey everybody. I need some help. My wifes red S titanium has the drivers door stuck closed and wont open. How in the workd can you get the door open? The dealer looked at it and said they would have to cut the bolts on the rear door and remove it to get to the front door to open it! Does this sound right? I work on alot of cars and thought it sounded a little crazy. My wife is getting a little pissed having to crawl over the seat and get out the passengers side! Help if ya can.
brad
Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things come to mind but a little more info might help. It seems you need to determine if the door is physically jammed shut or if the mechanism inside the door that releases the latch is stuck or inactive/broken. Once that is determined then go from there.

If it is just the latching mechanism, then a good locksmith should be able to open the door window and use a slimjim to release it. If it's jammed then the cause needs to be determined and a solution found that hopefully does as little damage as possible. One possible solution for a jammed door would be to take it to a good body shop and see if they can use what's called a Porta-power (hydraulic ram) to push it from the inside.

Either way I might talk to a body shop for alternative solutions than what the dealer is offering.

That's the best I can offer at the moment.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Bradinwva
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply. My wife just came home the other day and shut the door as usual and when she went to get back in the cayenne the door wouldnt open. You can hear the actuator when you hit the lock/unlock but the door wont open from inside or out. Seems like something on the inside of the door that trips the mechanism has broken. I have no idea how to get this thing open in order to take the door panel off to see whats going on inside.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a problem with my 911 door handle. It would open from the inside but not the outside. Turned out to be a detached cable that was an easy fix.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Bradinwva
4th Gear

I would say the cable might be my problem but I just cant get the stupid thing open so I can see. This dealer wants to cut the bolts from the rear henges to take the rear door off to get access to the front. I can already see theyre wanting to bend me over on this one and its NOT GONNA HAPPEN! hahaha
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a friend with an `04 that had this happen to him. Dealer fixed it, can't remmeber how but will reach out to him and let you know. IIRC they went through the door pillar...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I am sure you have tried this, but did you attempt to unlock and open using the "emergency" key?
Not sure if this is something the '06's have.
Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

There is usually a small lever that attaches just inside the door by the handle, my guess is it's popped out. Take the car to a good body shop, I'll bet dimes to donuts they can get it open for you. Once its open though the inside door panel needs to come off for repair. It's often a 20 cent metal clip that comes undone.

If you are mechanically inclined, have a locksmith come to your house to do it. I used to buy cars at auction and have many times watched them carefully pry a gap between the window and door to allow for a slimjim to be inserted. Cutting door panels should be waaaaay down on the list of options here.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 268 Likes on 128 Posts

Found this on the Taureg forum. It's worth a try.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...s-64235-2.html

The highlight is this

"Well I happened to stop by my body shop of choice on another matter and mentioned to one of the guys there the issue I was having and he said with certainty I can open your door for you.

I was very doubtful and even went home removed the driveside door panel to took some pictures to show him just what he was up against. The following morning I dropped the car off at 8:30am and shortly after 10:00 he called and said "Come get your car"

I took the car parked it and locked and then I happened again. By this time I was pressed for time because I wanted to turn in my trade so I could get my new car.

This time he proceeded to open the door again I was able to witness what he did to get it open this time.

1. He rolled down the window ( passenger side)
2. He pulled the top edge of the door panel out of the groove that attaches it to the top of the door.
3. He then pulled the rubber strip(window scraper) out of his way so he could see better into the door.
4. Then he used a very long screw driver (pry bar) to hit the lever on the latch

We checked the lock a few times and he had to un-stick the lock a couple more times when we determined that the latch is definitely faulty and once you cycle the lock it reverts to being stuck but if you don't lock it the door will allow you to function properly."
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: The mechanic had to work his way in from the pillar at the driver’s trailing door edge to open the door.

The problem on my friend's `04 was the Bowden cable, it had a kink, so they replaced the entire lock and cable, you can see these parts in the PET Katalog. This is a repair best accomplished by someone experienced with these cars.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Bradinwva
4th Gear

Thanks for the tips everybody. I really appreciate it. Im definatly not going back to that dealer! I have a friend thats a locksmith and he swears he can get it open. He says he has alot of tools and my car cant keep him out. I have my fingers crossed. It has to be something simple. All she did was close the door and lock it with the key fob and it wouldnt open back.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
Found this on the Taureg forum. It's worth a try.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...s-64235-2.html

The highlight is this

"Well I happened to stop by my body shop of choice on another matter and mentioned to one of the guys there the issue I was having and he said with certainty I can open your door for you.

I was very doubtful and even went home removed the driveside door panel to took some pictures to show him just what he was up against. The following morning I dropped the car off at 8:30am and shortly after 10:00 he called and said "Come get your car"

I took the car parked it and locked and then I happened again. By this time I was pressed for time because I wanted to turn in my trade so I could get my new car.

This time he proceeded to open the door again I was able to witness what he did to get it open this time.

1. He rolled down the window ( passenger side)
2. He pulled the top edge of the door panel out of the groove that attaches it to the top of the door.
3. He then pulled the rubber strip(window scraper) out of his way so he could see better into the door.
4. Then he used a very long screw driver (pry bar) to hit the lever on the latch

We checked the lock a few times and he had to un-stick the lock a couple more times when we determined that the latch is definitely faulty and once you cycle the lock it reverts to being stuck but if you don't lock it the door will allow you to function properly."
This is exactly what I was talking about.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:13 PM
Rockbob
1st Gear

Default Opened my stuck door

https://youtu.be/YGyb9aSoIFA
watch the video the lever can be pushed back into place by using a long carving knife. Slide down the interior side of the window when fully down. You can pull the outside handle to feel where the outside handle cable lever is stuck preventing the reset as seen in the video. Opened in a couple of minutes.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:26 PM
ccus911
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread..but I wanted to post this information to help anyone looking for answers on this issue…much of the info posted on this problem is very intrusive and involved, so I thought I would share an easy work around…the majority of causes to this problem is due to a micro switch in the handle…if your door does not open from the outside, push against the handle until you hear a faint “click”…then pull the handle and your door will then open….all doors except the driver of my 2009 CTTS have this issue and a slight push against the handle - CLICK - then they open right up…they’ve been like this for about 2 years now…a friend of mine who is a longtime Cayenne owner showed me this and it works great…I have been trying to find out if there is any adjustment to the micro switch or if it can be replaced without replacing the entire handle, so if anyone has experience with this, please let me know…
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (02-05-2024)
Old 01-09-2023, 12:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by ccus911
I know this is an old thread..but I wanted to post this information to help anyone looking for answers on this issue…much of the info posted on this problem is very intrusive and involved, so I thought I would share an easy work around…the majority of causes to this problem is due to a micro switch in the handle…if your door does not open from the outside, push against the handle until you hear a faint “click”…then pull the handle and your door will then open….all doors except the driver of my 2009 CTTS have this issue and a slight push against the handle - CLICK - then they open right up…they’ve been like this for about 2 years now…a friend of mine who is a longtime Cayenne owner showed me this and it works great…I have been trying to find out if there is any adjustment to the micro switch or if it can be replaced without replacing the entire handle, so if anyone has experience with this, please let me know…
That works because the cable adjustment is too tight and pushing on the handle gives it enough slack for the mechanical lever to reset.

Use this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...rable-fix.html

remove the handle and move the adjustment block to the next groove over so the cable is 1 notch looser and you probably won't have to push on the handles anymore.
The following users liked this post:
techbyte (02-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 06 cayenne s door wont open