Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo fires, idles little higher than normal and dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Hartdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJN334
I have been told both fuel pumps have completely failed.
I would question the fact that both pumps have gone out at once. IMO, since the car will fire for a short time, only the primary pump has gone out (of course I could be completely and utterly wrong, and I would hate for some guy on the interwebs that has never seen the car to second guess my diagnosis).
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartdude
I would question the fact that both pumps have gone out at once. IMO, since the car will fire for a short time, only the primary pump has gone out (of course I could be completely and utterly wrong, and I would hate for some guy on the interwebs that has never seen the car to second guess my diagnosis).
I agree with you and others have suggested that in this thread. Sadly I have nothing to go on...due to the diffcult diagnosis of this situation. I am also being told it is best to replace the fuel filters while in there...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

There is only one fuel filter.. which has the check valve that keeps the fuel rail pressurized in it (the check valve isn't shown in any diagram of the fuel system.. but it's there.. mine failed.)

The test for fuel pumps is fairly simple - even an average owner could do it. It involves forcing each pump to run by alternately removing the fuse for the other pump and trying to start the vehicle. The fuses are in the under-hood (under cowl actually) fusebox. If it runs correctly on one pump - then the other one has gone to pump nirvana.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo fires, idles little higher than normal and dies