Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear aluminum piece loose. What holds it?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
BenGTS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part for my 08 was as Andy described. Mine delaminate, glue dried up or something and it's on there pretty stout so once it comes off the core there is no turning back. I bought a new one from sun coast or ecs can't recall. Was like 100 bucks. Remove rear bumper and undo the clamp things from underneath. If you don't remove bumper u will undoubtly scratch bumper trying to get the core off. And there are little retainer clips that help hold it on that can only be accessed and or installed from inside bumper.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my contact adhesive didn't hold (I assume because my 2x4's trick didn't apply enough pressure to properly press it in place) so I need to remove my bumper and redo this properly.

I have a few questions:

- Can anyone point me to a guide on rear bumper removal? (I have removed a couple of Touareg bumpers to install a tow hitch, so I assume the process is similar)
- What do you propose is the best solvent to remove my (botched) contact adhesive? Should I use paint thinners?

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have done both an 04 touareg and an 05 cayenne and I recall they were exactly the same, so I don't think the newer up to 2010 are any different.

Removing the tail lights, the screws along the bottoms of the lights, under the bumper and in the fender wells.

Would be nice if you could document your procedure to re-attach the strip, as I am curios to do mine as well.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Would be nice if you could document your procedure to re-attach the strip, as I am curios to do mine as well.
This^^

Mine detached from the left side core and started fretting against the trunk lid, I recently noticed a rust line on the top of the bumper cover. Stuck if for now with 3M tape but i'd like to remove it and repair properly.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

No problems, I plan to do this over the weekend, so I'll take a bunch of pics along the way and post them.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

OK, the job is done. I have included some pics below, and here is the matching content (by numbers):

01: This was the back of the car when I had just started (by removing the rear lights). You can see the trim lifting on the left side.

02: This is a close-up of the left side with the lifting trim. Beneath that you can see the grey plastic piece that it should be stuck to, as well as my attempt with contact adhesive (yellow/green color) and Leipzig's original glue (white).

03: This is the inside view of the bumper. The plastic part is clipped in all the way across, and the clips are held in place in 4 places by metal clips. You can see the metal clip in 03b on the left-most and right-most visible tabs in the pic. 03c is the middle of the bumper and 03c is on the right. 03e shows the metal clips by themselves after I removed them (they pry off fairly easily with a screwdriver - even though 'pry' is usually the most dangerous word in any automobile-related job, because it usually means either 'remove and then purchase a new one because you broke it', or it means 'remove it and then spend an hour searching the garage because it sprung loose and is nowhere to be found'.) After this I removed the plastic part. This was a bit tricky because each of the bumper tabs holds in place really well, so after some 'persuasion' with a screwdriver I managed to get it off.

04: Here is a short of the bumper with the trim piece removed. 04b is a close-up (some of my screwdriver persuading can be seen)

05: Here is a pic of the underside of the trim strip (grey plastic). 05b shows the left end, and one of the tabs that I broke off during the process. 05c shows the part number.

06: Next I had to fully 'undo' my previous attempt. This was mostly quite easy using a plastic scraper that I wedged between the 2 pieces. Only right at the left edge was it holding on real right (this would be the right side on the car).

07: Then I had to remove the previous contact adhesive (the stuff I used). This came off real easy on the stainless part - most of it I could simply pull off with my fingers, the rest came of pretty easy with Mineral Spirits. The plastic part was a bit more difficult. Furthermore I wanted to remove both my glue, as well as the original factory (Leipzig) glue. So I used the trusty wire wheel on my drill, and it did a great job. 07b shows a higher view of the entire strip. I ended up using the wire wheel on the inside of the stainless strip as well to roughen it up a bit.

(unfortunately I got a little overeager and forgot to take pics for this step)

I can only attach 15 pics, the rest in the next post...
Attached Images              
The following users liked this post:
BigBearJoe (02-01-2024)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:22 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

08: I purchased some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive from at Lowes and sprayed the 2 halves, waited a few mins and then glued them together. Thereupon I clamped the combined strip (shiny-side down) on my workbench with all the clamps that I own. This is how I left things overnight on saturday afternoon.

24 hours later...

09: On sunday I removed the clamps, and cleaned the glue 'overspray' with mineral spirits. 09b Another view from closer. The 2 are fitting great.

10: I reinstalled the trim back in the bumper, and put that back on the car. 10b and 10c show some closeups of the left and right side.

Damn I have hit my image quota limit, you can see them all at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acsrpyctr...0kyuQ6hLa?dl=0
Attached Images  

Last edited by myrmidon; 01-26-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: I added a URL to see the remaining photos
The following users liked this post:
BigBearJoe (02-01-2024)
Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up thanks for that, will have to give it a try when the 3M tape gives up again.

To remove the bumper, are there only attachments behind the lights or are there other points i need to remove?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
TODD LERFONDLER
Intermediate

Awesome write up. Now I can't wait for mine to start coming off again. I just used 100% silicone caulking and put about 7 or 8 bottles of 1 gallon washer fluid bottles across the bumper while it dried. I'm sure it's only a temporary fix.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This part for 08-10 has a different part number as compared to pre-08. Does anyone know if a pre-08 part will still fit on an 08?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MJP911
This part for 08-10 has a different part number as compared to pre-08. Does anyone know if a pre-08 part will still fit on an 08?
Thanks
I am pretty sure the part is completely different. IIRC, the earlier one has ridges on it and the later one is larger and is smooth.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Jeeves94
2nd Gear

I guess I can add my "+1" to the list....has anyone had any success going to the dealer doing the replacement part/labor?

I ended up purchasing a new trim piece from SunCoast before reading this and am now at the stage of having popped off the existing plastic piece via some trim/weather stripping tools and now realizing I can't "pop" it back on via the clips.

Is the only option to remove the bumper and re-clip it? Is that a PITA or do-able? Is there a part number for those clips? I'm also in the case of missing 2 of the 4 right now.

Thanks!

Andy
'08 Cayenne Turbo.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just did this over the weekend. Mine also only had two of the metal clips; one on each end. So far so good. Thanks for the write-up.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
Just did this over the weekend. Mine also only had two of the metal clips; one on each end. So far so good. Thanks for the write-up.
Mine had only 2 as well. My repair still failed, I think I need more clamps, or I did not do the cleaning proper.

So choice is to spend more money on good clamps or just buy another one
Old 06-03-2015, 06:10 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeeves94
I guess I can add my "+1" to the list....has anyone had any success going to the dealer doing the replacement part/labor?

I ended up purchasing a new trim piece from SunCoast before reading this and am now at the stage of having popped off the existing plastic piece via some trim/weather stripping tools and now realizing I can't "pop" it back on via the clips.

Is the only option to remove the bumper and re-clip it? Is that a PITA or do-able? Is there a part number for those clips? I'm also in the case of missing 2 of the 4 right now.

Thanks!

Andy
'08 Cayenne Turbo.
It really is not that hard to remove the bumper, the worst is getting the tail lights out. On the old cars, people would sometime break the nipples, but the nipples seem to be a bit looser now in the socket. It does help a bit to have a second person to put everything back aligned right.

Just make sure not to force anything on the bumper, if it doesn't slide off, you missed a screw.

Light removal for a touareg, but it is the same on the cayenne. Pull straight out, don't pry as that is what broke the light in the past. Tool is in the tool kit too to remove the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAj50zJQpfE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear aluminum piece loose. What holds it?