Sponsored by:

Auto Dim Rear View Mirror Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Auto Dim Rear View Mirror Conversion

I have a 2005 CTT. I am attempting to convert my terrible manual rear view mirror to a factory auto dim one. I bought a factory auto dim mirror on ebay, and want to wire power to the auto dim feature. The mirror has other features, like two lights on the bottom, which I am not expecting to work. I just want the suto dim. There is a plug coming out of the mirror with six wires attached to it. gray, green, black, brown, white, and yellow. Does anyone know which is the + and - for the power to the auto dim?

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...03-00016-2.jpg

Thanks, AA
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you pulled the old mirror yet? Sometimes, not very often the harness might be there already. I doubt it though, as usually the harness is custom made for the car to save both weight and $$$.

If I had to guess I would say the black and brown are ground.

One is probably for power to the lights, another is probably to trigger the lights on when the headlights, etc are on.

I would take an ohm meter to it and try the switch on the bottom. I can't remember if it is an electronic switch or lock for on, unlock for off via pressing.

That switch controls the dim feature.

So take the ohm meter's black wire to both black and brown leads, then connect the red ohm meter's leads to each of the other wires while flicking the switch on the mirror to see if it goes to zero.

Otherwise disasembly might be the only option, or find someone to take there's out and measure voltages.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I did not even know the Turbo came without an Autodim mirror! I have one on the Cayenne but I want to retorfit one in my 996.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I did the retrofit on my 996 with an aftermarket auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. It was awesome. When I got my new windshield, the "button" to mount the mirror wasn't in the exact same location, and the new mirror no longer fits. Bummer.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

unfortunately the car is not wired with the appropriate harness. I looked everywhere. If I can figure out the wiring it should be a nice upgrade.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PM Dr Toby Pennycuff. He might still have P!g wiring diagrams (no, don't mention (BiXenons)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
unfortunately the car is not wired with the appropriate harness. I looked everywhere. If I can figure out the wiring it should be a nice upgrade.
Did you manage to get the autodim mirror work?? I got a same mirror from ebay but its the touaregs but same color wires.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

No I could not get it to work. I used the wiring diagram ... but the mirror just turned on .. it would not go off ... no matter what the lighting situation was. I have two of the auto dim mirrors in the garage. I rarely use the dim function on my manual mirror .. so I dont care too much. The auto headlights ... that was huge!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
virkdoc
Racer

No I could not get it to work. I used the wiring diagram ... but the mirror just turned on .. it would not go off ... no matter what the lighting situation was. I have two of the auto dim mirrors in the garage. I rarely use the dim function on my manual mirror .. so I dont care too much. The auto headlights ... that was huge!
Carreracup can you tell me which wire did you use for 12V and which for ground and what other wires did you use? I just need to figure out ground and 12V. Did you use a switched 12V. This mirror on the underside says GENTEX and I went on the Gentex website and the mirrors they sell also use 2 wires for working....ground and 12V.
So when you mean it would turn on you mean that when you pressed the button the green light would come on and would it autodim? What do youmean by that it ould not turn off?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

I cant remember what I did. The mirror would dim and you could not turn off dim with the switch. So the mirror would dim even if light was not shined onto it, and the power switch had no effect on this. The green light (I think it was green) would not turn off with the switch.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
virkdoc
Racer

I cant remember what I did. The mirror would dim and you could not turn off dim with the switch. So the mirror would dim even if light was not shined onto it, and the power switch had no effect on this. The green light (I think it was green) would not turn off with the switch.
And both mirrors you have did the same?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

yup they did. I gave up. My buddy from down the street, an electricasl engineer, and build his own 914 race car from scratch (tube frame) ... came over .. and we could not get it too work. I gave up. At first thought it was a broken used mirror, but the second was the same. If you figure it out let me know. thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM
virkdoc
Racer

ok Carreracup03 like I said I got a touareg auto dimming mirror which is the same as the cayennes. Now here in India we have a brand called SKODA...owned by the Volkswagen Audi group, and I have a model called the Skoda Octavia MKII called the Skoda Laura in India. Remember I told you I put in that Ebay auto dimming switch in it.
So the car has a sameeee auto dimming rear view mirror. I took it off and plugged in the Touaregs mirror and Bingo it started working. So I have the Skodas wires hanging in from the roof....6 wires all different colors.....What do I do now? Is there a way to find out which wire is which?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ ^ ^

Time to upgrade to the Skoda Cayenne

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Lol I meant now that I have the wiring harness of the Skoda is there a way I can find out what's 12v and what's ground etc so we can use the same on the cayenne

Quick Reply: Auto Dim Rear View Mirror Conversion