Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Attaching pics
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I did not even know the Turbo came without an Autodim mirror! I have one on the Cayenne but I want to retorfit one in my 996.
I mistakenly omitted both auto-dimming mirrors and auto headlights on my 2006 CTTS build. To this day I regularly get ribbed about it from everyone who knows anything about Porsches. Today's option packages make it more difficult to omit an important item like this, but still entry and drive and online services remain standalone options.

Interested to see how this turns out for OP. I'd certainly like to retrofit my car with auto-dimming mirrors, at least for the rearview.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I mistakenly omitted both auto-dimming mirrors and auto headlights on my 2006 CTTS build. To this day I regularly get ribbed about it from everyone who knows anything about Porsches. Today's option packages make it more difficult to omit an important item like this, but still entry and drive and online services remain standalone options.

Interested to see how this turns out for OP. I'd certainly like to retrofit my car with auto-dimming mirrors, at least for the rearview.
the auto lights is easy.....just search and you will find the answer, just need to change the switch out.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't seen this posted yet, so maybe it will help. This is a writeup for installing an autodimming mirror in a VW with auto wipers and headlights. It also goes through the steps of installing the external mirrors and which wires to ignore if you don't.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...etrofit-vw.htm

This is the pinout diagram from the writeup. The wire colors may be different, but the pinouts could be the same once you determine the position of pin 1 Hope it helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
I haven't seen this posted yet, so maybe it will help. This is a writeup for installing an autodimming mirror in a VW with auto wipers and headlights. It also goes through the steps of installing the external mirrors and which wires to ignore if you don't.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...etrofit-vw.htm

This is the pinout diagram from the writeup. The wire colors may be different, but the pinouts could be the same once you determine the position of pin 1 Hope it helps.
What does CECM on the diagram mean?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by virkdoc
What does CECM on the diagram mean?
It's specific to the rain sensor for the Toaureg, particularly to retrofit for a car that initially does not have one. From the link

"Any car with a highline central electric control module (CECM) should be compatible with a rain sensor but I don't know which rain sensor is compatible with what control module. Generally speaking, the newer ones are backwards compatible. If your control module long coding has a checkbox for adding the rain sensor, it should work. See the bottom for coding details."
Old 09-02-2016, 02:33 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So...Couldn't you take a Cayenne that the auto dim mirror is working and test the wires to see what voltages it gets when? IE power, ground, any sensors, etc.

Just after I got a new 2001 BoxsterS that didn't have the on-board computer option there was a tutorial posted. You could add the feature by adding the turn signal stock that had the computer switch stalk and how to wire the stalk to the system. Then the computer could be enabled with the PIWIS. The how to included adding a couple of wires to a connector for the ECU. You got some standard connector pins terminated the wires with them and plugged them into the connector then re-plugged the connector back in. It was actually pretty simple with the instructions someone had supplied. You just added the wires that were not added to the stock loom to make the feature work.

I showed the instructions to a mechanic a my local dealer and he show me a box with all the connectors and pins used in Porsche and said it would be a snap and only charged me two hours to wire in and install the stalk for the on-board computer.

Seems like the auto dim rear veiw mirror could be done the same way. Just trace down where the stock wiring goes on one that works and add those wires in and connect up a mirror. The connectors, and pins for the connectors are pretty standard. Instead of trying to find places to splice in the wiring to make the mirror work, just add wires in exactly like stock. After all, it's only what, 3 wires?

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 09-02-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Dim Rear View Mirror Conversion