Sponsored by:

after 8 mo of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
D2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 8 mo of ownership

picked up a CPO '06 CTT in the summer of 2011. Had 69k miles on her and she is now at 77k. The girl definitely burns oil and the dealer adds oil when the light comes on every 500-750 miles (depending on how much it was topped off the time before that). Had the rear hatch shocks replaced under CPO b/c the tailgate was sagging an inch or two so it was nice that they were replaced instead of letting them completely fail.

Some minor things I noticed and wondering if anyone can relate:

1. I have to pull the Ebrake release handle 2 (sometimes 3) times for the Ebrake to release.

2. Radio reception isn't great and the volume tends to go up/down slightly when it wants to. If I plug in my iphone for Pandora or play a cd the volume stays constant.

3. Automatic windshield wipers are way too sensitive even on the lowest setting. I usually have to just wipe manually or put it in low setting. I think the windshield is not factory glass so maybe that might be the cause.

4. Reverse tilt on passenger side mirror takes longer than my car ('03 E46). Once in a blue moon it won't reset so I just do it manually.

5. Slight steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. My wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out on a road trip. Very minor and doesn't require adjustment to keep the car straight.

6. Checked dipped beam comes on once every few months. I think I notice the headlights flicker for a fraction of a second every now and then so it's probably related to that. Just had some new headlights installed courtesy of the dealer cpo b/c the on the old ones the city light bulbs had melted the housing slightly (not sure if the previous owner tinkered with them or not and tried to put LED's or something). I'm thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere but didn't want to bother sending to the dealer until it gets worse b/c there's a good chance it won't act up if I leave it there.

All very minor issues but thought I would share.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1- don't use it
2 - make sure audio pilot is turned off
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
RebelBAC
6th Gear

Default Overall are you happy?

I am thinking about buying the same car. 2006 CTT with 57k on the clock. Besides what you listed, is everything else going well?

And if you don't mind be asking, how much did you pay for it?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 AM
D2k
Instructor

Originally Posted by RebelBAC
I am thinking about buying the same car. 2006 CTT with 57k on the clock. Besides what you listed, is everything else going well?

And if you don't mind be asking, how much did you pay for it?
Everything else is going fine with it. Terrible on gas of course. If I remember correctly I got it for $38k and got them to throw in a second set of wheels with winter tires. It was from the local p-car dealership closest to me and the CPO on it definitely helped seal the deal. The coolant pipes were also replaced already.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my pepper, but that audio pilot function is an epic fail!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

For the ebrake problem just put your left foot under the ebrake pedal when you release it pulling it up a bit. I think it's simply due to the spring not being quite strong enough to bring it up far enough to disengage the reminder switch.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

5. Slight steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. My wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out on a road trip. Very minor and doesn't require adjustment to keep the car straight.
Get your tires balanced again. My ride is smooth as silk at any speed.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

On the ebrake, if yours is the same as my 2004CT, there is a strut that needs to be replaced -- similar to the rear hatch issue -- had all mine replaced a few years back, and all is well. I'm not sure if it's a DIYS thing, as I had mine replaced at the dealer under extended warranty.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by D2k

3. Automatic windshield wipers are way too sensitive even on the lowest setting. I usually have to just wipe manually or put it in low setting.
+1 Why is it that a crappy old chevy has perfect intermittent wipers but the wipers on my p!g go ballistic at the first raindrop? I also just do the manual wipe when driving in a drizzle. dave
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

My rain sensor wipers work perfectly on mine - much better than in my 2 BMWs. Probably something you should have looked at...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a '06 CTTS and I have to say it has been a reliable and fun rig. I paid to have the Aluminum Coolant pipes done when the dealer was running a special on labor. I've installed Secondary Cat bypasses and getting ready to do the IPD intake that I got on Ebay for $500.
1. Don't have the problem with mine, since yours is CPO'd, if it is still on warranty take it to the dealer while you've got the warranty.
2. Radio reception in mine is good, may be an antenna fault? As mentioned the Audio pilot is similiar to Audi's GALA (speed dependent volume) but it doesn't work well like Audi's. You can go into your setting and turn it down or off completely in the PCM.
3. I agree on the wipers, I would rather of just had intermittent with adjustable interval. It does help to keep the windshield clean, especially top center by the rear view mirror where the sensor is.
4. Reverse tilt is a little slow but mine also has the reverse camera so I don't ususally use it.
5. The pigs are sensitive to tire balance issues. Have them rebalanced, could even be the tires. Here is a cool site to find a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine which is by far the best way to go. http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
6. Do you still get the "Check dipped beam" error since the headlight replacement? I had it for a while, cleaned all of the contacts and used electrical contact enhancer (ProGold) and it improved but didn't completely go away until I changed my bulbs, found the best prices on Amazon for the bulbs, but stick around 5000 Kelvin temp, don't go any higher than 6000K or you will look Ricey if you know what I mean
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil consumption - don't have an issue on my "S" but would suggest you switch to 5w40 or 5w50

1. minor issue, replace the strut
2. don't have the issue
3. Oh yeah! PITA/POS system they have. I wind up using the single wipe feature. If you get Rain X on the sensor area it will really drive you nuts.
4. don't use it
5. Tires most likely. I'm overdue for rotate & balance
6. common problem (but I haven't had it) As you say, clean the connections (headlights pop out, see manual).
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by D2k
picked up a CPO '06 CTT in the summer of 2011. Had 69k miles on her and she is now at 77k. The girl definitely burns oil and the dealer adds oil when the light comes on every 500-750 miles (depending on how much it was topped off the time before that). Had the rear hatch shocks replaced under CPO b/c the tailgate was sagging an inch or two so it was nice that they were replaced instead of letting them completely fail.

1. I have to pull the Ebrake release handle 2 (sometimes 3) times for the Ebrake to release.

2. Radio reception isn't great and the volume tends to go up/down slightly when it wants to. If I plug in my iphone for Pandora or play a cd the volume stays constant.

3. Automatic windshield wipers are way too sensitive even on the lowest setting. I usually have to just wipe manually or put it in low setting. I think the windshield is not factory glass so maybe that might be the cause.

4. Reverse tilt on passenger side mirror takes longer than my car ('03 E46). Once in a blue moon it won't reset so I just do it manually.

6. Checked dipped beam comes on once every few months. I think I notice the headlights flicker for a fraction of a second every now and then so it's probably related to that. Just had some new headlights installed courtesy of the dealer cpo b/c the on the old ones the city light bulbs had melted the housing slightly (not sure if the previous owner tinkered with them or not and tried to put LED's or something). I'm thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere but didn't want to bother sending to the dealer until it gets worse b/c there's a good chance it won't act up if I leave it there.

1. have them replace the ebrake strut under cpo. super easy job.

2. you can easily shut this off.

5. before you balance them .. one easy thing to try is to loosen the lugs and re-tighten them when the wheel is up in the air (car jacked up). Also make sure they are torqued to 118 lbs. Most people tighten these to 95ish. I had my wheels balanced on a speed force balancer and I still had the vibration. With this simple procedure it is as smooth as silk.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 PM
D2k
Instructor

Originally Posted by D2k

Following up my old post that I totally forgot about!
At 97k miles and still going strong.

1. Ebrake strut was replaced while car was still under warranty (which it no longer is)
2. Radio reception seems fine now. It must have been that audio pilot setting.
3. Intermittent wiper setting is still hit and miss but fine to live with.
4. Same but it's still working at least
5. Got new tires and alignment since last time and vibration is next to none (the alignment needed was quite minor)
6. Flickering headlights resolved with new bulbs!

Car still burns ~1 qt every 500-700 miles but luckily the dealer has free topoffs. I'm sure they hate seeing me or my wife pull up every other week or so.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Burning a quart every 500 miles seems like a bit much to me. But I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: after 8 mo of ownership