Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which extended warranty should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
RebelBAC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which extended warranty should I get?

I am looking at a 2006 TT with 57k miles on it. The place is offering these extended warranty options, Mercury, Interstate, Zurich, and Warrantech. Anyone have any experience with these companies?

I know a lot of people think I should save my money and put it in an acct but I really would like to have a warranty. Unfortunately most of the dealers around me with CPO cars are out of my price range.

TIA
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Zurich has worked well for me in the past. They paid about $10,000 in repairs on my first BMW (an '87 535i..)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A. Fine print. Look at the exclusions only, don't be distracted by what it covers. Pay very close attention to plastic parts. Some warranties will exclude plastic parts in cooling systems .... Hmmn, plastic parts and cooling systems....that sounds familiar.

B. location, location, location. If you can find an aftermarket warranty from Hawaii ... Well, never mind.

C. Did I mention fine print.

Unless you are committed to a long term marriage to your first P!g (in sickness and in health, till death (or lawyers) do you part), IMHO it still makes more sense to put the premiums under your mattress every year and when the P!g comes to you one day asking for a divorce (and they always do), you have the money to buy a newer, younger P!glet. You know you have a wandering eye when it comes to newer, prettier, more svelte P!gs, admit it.

D. I did mention fine print, didn't I?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on reading the exclusions.

Statistically speaking, everyone is better off in the long run not purchasing these warranties. The company collects premiums and pays for repairs. If the premiums do not exceed the repair costs, they are out of business.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop your local Porsche dealers since they will obviously honor what they sell and will tell you what's not covered. Should eliminate a debate down the road.

Quick Reply: Which extended warranty should I get?