Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's been more than 6 years since my last post...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's been more than 6 years since my last post...

I sold my Cayenne 6 years ago before moving to the UK for a 2 year work assignment (no sense keeping a depreciating asset in my garage where I'd never have a chance to use it).

Upon return to the US, I picked up a BMW X5 4.6is, which has been an absolutely awesome vehicle, and which I have driven the bejeesus out of (almost 200k miles, including multiple mountain towing excursions.) With that kind of miles on the clock, however, it really needs to be retired from roadtrip duty to just around town stuff where if it breaks (and it will), then a tow truck is nearby and the mechanic is close, too.

In spite of my better judgment and my foggy memory of the problems I had with my V6 Cayenne, I am considering jumping back into the pigpen. I've looked at a few machines, an 06 and 04 S and an 04 CTT. In all cases, the trucks have relatively low mileage (less than 80k). Also in all cases: Coolant pipes--check; cardan shaft--check; coils & plugs--check on the turbo, not on the S's. Do I need to worry that the starter has not been replaced even though the coolant pipes are aluminum? Is there a way to check the torque converter seal to ensure it has not been compromised by leaking coolant when the plastic pipes blew? The sticky threads are a great resource, but it is a bit overwhelming to weed through those entire threads, so any new thoughts here would be appreciated.

Should I purchase a beta model 04 or go for the later 06? The turbo power is intoxicating, and now that the supposedly expensive stuff has been fixed, what else can go wrong (he said with a wry grin)? How long do the turbos themselves last on these things?

Nice to see some familiar faces still here posting away. I missed a certain bit of "constructive sarcasm" from the fellow with the Schultz avatar, and LOVE the new T-shirt design. Wish me luck as I take the plunge...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember you as a felow clunk/thump sufferer. Welcome back and I'd suggest going for an '06 or later.

PS. Who's the fellow with the Schultz avatar, btw?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I'm sometimes unsure when you're faking it Pops, but in case you're question is legit, I'm sure he means Lewis with his vulture Snoopy on Charlie Brown's head avatar (Charles Schultz)......don't hurt me.......
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Mike, I'm disappointed with an implication that Pops would take it. I've always known him as Charlie Brown but I just used the internets to learn that Schulz was the creator
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

And Louis, we miss you. Get it?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember you as a felow clunk/thump sufferer. Welcome back and I'd suggest going for an '06 or later.

Thanks, Enigma. Yep, that was me waiting for Porsche Roadside Assistance 150 miles from the nearest city.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sometimes unsure when you're faking it Pops, but in case you're question is legit, I'm sure he means Lewis with his vulture Snoopy on Charlie Brown's head avatar (Charles Schultz)......don't hurt me.......
Indeed! I thought "constructive sarcasm" might not be enough to positively identify him
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, I'm disappointed with an implication that Pops would take it. I've always known him as Charlie Brown but I just used the internets to learn that Schulz was the creator
I live near Schulz's home town where he is totally famous. Hell, there are quite literally statues of Peanuts characters all over the place. It was hard to imagine someone wouldn't know who created Snoopy and CB, so I wasn't sure if you were kidding. The last time I guessed wrong I got an "implied faceplalm" message from you that devastated me for days........

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-10-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since WTF did the P!g Pen become a confessional booth?
Do I look like a priest?

If you want to confess your sins of buying a BMW and think you can get back into this heavenly forum by adopting some orphaned P!g, do it somewhere else.

Oh yeah, welcome back, we missed you, blah, blah, blah
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

The last time I guessed wrong I got an "implied faceplalm" message from you that devastated me for days........
Ok, occasionally, very rarely, on rare occasions, almost never, Pops does resort to the "f" word. Point made & taken
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Ok, occasionally, very rarely, on rare occasions, almost never, Pops does resort to the "f" word. Point made & taken
BTW, before it disappears in favor of another Mickey Rourke avatar, I've been meaning to compliment you on your new alley-scene photo. Very nice. Did you take it? Where?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, before it disappears in favor of another Mickey Rourke avatar, I've been meaning to compliment you on your new alley-scene photo. Very nice. Did you take it? Where?
It's a pic of Pops turning tricks in Kiev.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

^^^I expect you to do better

Mike, ignoring what our TE is talking about over there

This was from a one night in Rome. Weather wasn't cooperating and on the last night and only for a few hours it gave an opportunity to shoot around:

M3, sorry for going OT on you, but that's how it kind of goes around here
Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Was it Christmas time there, pops? This year I am planning on going there around Christmas time. I seriously miss eating those gelatos and there is not a single good place around where I live that tastes even close to those in Italy.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^^I expect you to do better

Mike, ignoring what our TE is talking about over there

This was from a one night in Rome. Weather wasn't cooperating and on the last night and only for a few hours it gave an opportunity to shoot around:

M3, sorry for going OT on you, but that's how it kind of goes around here
Pop's, the composition, colors and clarity in your photos are exceptional. Really fine.

M3, sorry for the OT stuff as well.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kalyan
Was it Christmas time there, pops? This year I am planning on going there around Christmas time. I seriously miss eating those gelatos and there is not a single good place around where I live that tastes even close to those in Italy.
Almost. This was NYE. One of my favorite seasons to be in Rome (the other is spring).

Pop's, the composition, colors and clarity in your photos are exceptional. Really fine.

M3, sorry for the OT stuff as well.
Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: It's been more than 6 years since my last post...