Just joined 2004 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
As you can see, witty banter is encouraged
Witty? I think you're setting the bar a bit high for this group...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

witty is hardly the word I was thinking.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

But it rhymes with witty.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Divot
But it rhymes with _itty.
Replace the W with another letter... it's much better.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Replace the W with another letter... it's much better.
Brevity is the soul of something that I am sure escapes you at the moment.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will post some pictures of the PIG. When google did their street mapping, the PIG was in the driveway, a short driveway. Looked great. Off now to pick up the PIG at garage, equipped with 4 new hankook 18 inch snow tires.

Summary work done this week on the car:

Cardan shaft replaced, cooling pipes replaced with Sunset kit, new starter (as suggested by my indie when he got the old pipes off) tranny fluid and filter replaced, oil and filter change, new air filter and wiper blades, replaced burnt light bulb in front light. Almost all planned maintenance. Total cost, including 4 new snow tires was $5,300.

All for a car that worth about $15,000? I justify it on the basis that there is not a car worth under 50k that provides me with a better driving experience. I have a cottage that requires a little tank like my PIG to get in and out of safely in the winter. For all it's faults, the PIG does the job.

After the engine was repalced and all the recall work done by 2006, the car has been relatively problem free. A lemon before that. Obviously if you want to operate an older PIG, you have to stay on top of maintenance. The PIG PEN is the best resource on the net, so thanks to all contributors.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Hamlet
Will post some pictures of the PIG. When google did their street mapping, the PIG was in the driveway, a short driveway. Looked great. Off now to pick up the PIG at garage, equipped with 4 new hankook 18 inch snow tires.

Cardan shaft replaced, cooling pipes replaced with Sunset kit, new starter (as suggested by my indie when he got the old pipes off) tranny fluid and filter replaced, oil and filter change, new air filter and wiper blades, replaced burnt light bulb in front light. Almost all planned maintenance. Total cost, including 4 new snow tires was $5,300.

All for a car that worth about $15,000? I justify it on the basis that there is not a car worth under 50k that provides me with a better driving experience. I have a cottage that requires a little tank like my PIG to get in and out of safely in the winter. For all it's faults, the PIG does the job.

After the engine was repalced and all the recall work done by 2006, the car has been relatively problem free. A lemon before that. Obviously if you want to operate an older PIG, you have to stay on top of maintenance. The PIG PEN is the best resource on the net, so thanks to all contributors.
Enjoy it in good health. I love driving my P!g in the snow, but have not had much of a chance this year.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

It's still a Cayenne. Expenses compared to current market value will be skewed but since "it's still a Cayenne," expenses compared to new would be the "norm."

i.e. You can buy a used Ferrari 456GT for roughly $40k-$60k. They were ~$250k new. Chances are, maintenance and repairs would still be valid for a $250k car, and not a $40-$60k car... plus it's a Ferrrrari.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

BTW, what about the front+rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArneeA
BTW, what about the front+rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid?
Arnee please enlightened me, I think appreciate the advice. Thanks

The road into my cottage is in a hilly wooded area 45 minutes north of downtown Ottawa. Good two lane gravel road which has some steep inclines and awkward downhill turns. Two weeks ago the road was sheer ice, a few pebbles embedded in it but an icier road I have never been on. Had to drive the 5 k at 5-10 kph. The car handled the steep uphills on ice beautifully. But where it was really brillant was on the downhills. The road was so icy I was afraid the weight of the car would carry it down the hill and off the road. The barkaing system worked like a charm, you could feel the pump release action generating friction, really high performance. Last year past an RAV 4 that could not make it up one of the hills, the PIG stopped half way up the same hill to inquire if he was ok and then proceeded along with no slippage. It really is an awesome car.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Arnee please enlightened me. Thanks
Did you have those fluids replaced as well? Front and rear diff and transfer case fluids...

Those aren't "major" items and shouldn't cost much compared to the coolant pipe. In fact, they're DIY-able.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Thanks Arnee, it has not been replaced but I will for sure. Great help.

Quick Reply: Just joined 2004 Cayenne S