Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will have to compromise on what is a priority for you - space or driving experience. The 2 funnest cars IMO I test drove were the BMW X5 and the Cayenne. The Q7 was the larger of the 2 but it was missing the driving part. Its a great SUV but for us we were totally fine with the space plus we wanted the driving experience.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
sfrank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies..I just looked at a lot of these for my wife...Q7, X5, MB and settled on the MB GL 550 for her. I've loved the BMWs I have owned but the X5 just hasn't changed that much in 10 years. X6 is great but only seats 4. Q7 is well .....too Station wagonish. I love the A7, but it only has 4 seats. Someone suggested a BMW wagon...really? That's like buying a Rolex clock radio. Looked at a Land Rover and although driving through 2 feet of water is impressive it's not something I plan to do regularly. You Ice fishing guys may want to investigate...spring thaw is coming! So back to where I'm at...if I could drive my 911 all year and cram hockey, soccer and other junk into it I would. So maybe I should be asking why NOT a Cayenne? Is it really a 911 for Hockey/Soccer Dads?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Just in case you are really looking for reasons NOT to buy a Cayenne...our "super"moderator has an endless list of them
Thanks.
Please let me know how you can fit 5 people + hockey gear in a P!g.
Being a former goaltender, I am fairly confident that my gear would take up the majority of the space. And of course, you would have to put the sticks up on the roof.

But then again, i am sure you have thought all of this through.

There are reasons to buy a Cayenne, this just does not appear to be one of them.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Please let me know how you can fit 5 people + hockey gear in a P!g.
Trick question?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Trick question?
Yes, it is. Kind of like "how do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?", which is followed by "how do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?" and a few more follow-up questions that test if one is ready to become a P!G owner
Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

I've had 3 people with hockey gear in the Cayenne before, but never 5. One of my sons was a goalie, so he had the big goalie bag. It was tight...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
sfrank
Advanced

Folks my son is 9. I'm not talking about NHL equipment and Crosby, Olvechkin and Malkin in the back.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Get a Cayenne and slap on a roof rack for the hockey action. There are no other suv's that compare to the driving experience of the Cayenne and no other has the plush interior finish either. No comparison and no substitute.
Oh, and get the Turbo.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sfrank
Someone suggested a BMW wagon...really? That's like buying a Rolex clock radio.
Yes, an estate wagon...MB, Audi or BMW.
Have you driven one? Great handling and balance, convenient roof loading height, good interior cargo and passenger space.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Considering that he's never actually owned a Cayenne and that he's merely driving the Porsches Larry left behind (and sleeping with his widow), you can safely ignore him. I did and I couldn't be happier.

Get the Cayenne; it's obviously what you want. Every vehicle is a compromise, you'll figure out how to live with it. The cargo space isn't cavernous, but it's good size and that's what a Thule is for.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Considering that he's never actually owned a Cayenne and that he's merely driving the Porsches Larry left behind (and sleeping with his widow), you can safely ignore him. I did and I couldn't be happier..
You forgot about Larry's Bugatti Veyron ... actually my favorite car to drive.
What a car.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
jittsl
Racer

Take the kids and the gear to the dealer. If you can fit everybody/thing then it's an easy decision. If you can't then the kids will just have to change sport.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Take the kids and the gear to the dealer. If you can fit everybody/thing then it's an easy decision. If you can't then the kids will just have to change sport.
This.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

It should be fine. 4 of us go boarding in the mountains 12-15 times a winter. Thule rack for the sticks(Boards for us). Luggage that cannot get wet goes inside and I have a hitch carrier basket that has a giant waterproof bag to protect everything else. We use the basket/roof rack when going to soccer tournaments(Two canopies on top of the rack etc) or driving to florida with the dogs who get the entire cargo space thus the basket. If its hockey daily then the Q7 may be a better idea but for the weekend trips etc the pepper is fantastic. Or drive your wifes GL way bigger anyway.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayenne S drives like BMW E39 w/ sports package, of course, it's much faster but I love the way it handles!

Quick Reply: Why buy a Cayenne?