Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:48 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors

Every time I take my Cayenne to get tires they check the brakes hoping to sell a brake job, and every time they tell me that the rotors and pads must be changed together on this vehicle at the same time.
I've never heard that anywhere else about the pig. Is this just a REAL Shady way of jacking up the bill?
I think so!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
drjohngober
1st Gear

Just went through the same thing with my son's RR Sport. If the pads have ot worn down all the way, why do the rotors need to be replaced also?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slider172
Every time I take my Cayenne to get tires they check the brakes hoping to sell a brake job, and every time they tell me that the rotors and pads must be changed together on this vehicle at the same time.
I've never heard that anywhere else about the pig. Is this just a REAL Shady way of jacking up the bill?
I think so!
I believe it is a factory recommendation that the discs are replaced at the same time as the pads. The discs are wearing parts and when 'out of limit' may overheat and warp causing reduced braking efficiency and vibration. Most competent workshops will check the discs for wear and in reality you will most likely use 2 sets of pads before front disc replacement is required.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Bruin Pcar
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Slider, you may want to search out a competent 3rd party to do the labor, and buy the parts from one of the P-dealers that gives good pricing on parts... I went that route and saved about $1500+ on labor and parts vs. dealer pricing that was quoted.

Mcbit is correct that you shouldn't need to replace your rotors for a bit even if the pads are low... I would suggest making sure that you replace the sensors when changing the pads - cheap and worth the peace of mind.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

If your rotors are still well within spec, then there's no need to change them. I've been changing them with every other brake pad change.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

I decided (as usual) to do everything my self. So, I got rotors and disks for the front and back from http://www.autoanything.com. Got Power Slot Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads plus Brake Pad Sensors.
Took me about 2 hours for rear and abut same for front. Total Parts $984.
Well, also had to buy brake cleaning spray to get oil off the new rotors and clean calipers a little. I would say not much different from any other disc brake job.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

I have the opposite issue... I just bought a CPO 2009 Cayenne; they changed the pads but not the rotors. The edges have a large lip in them and the surface is uneven. The tech rated the rotors at 50% though (which is the min thickness for CPO).

I told them they needed to change the rotors because new pads would be less efficient. The contact patch is greatly reduced because of the uneven surface and the lip. They hold that CPO states 50% and they are at 50% so they've done their duty.

I would love to find some Cayenne documentation or Porsche standards that states what shall be done in these situations.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

elycayenne06, good job on the brake change. One caution I'll throw out is that the EBC Reds are more of a lighter car, daily driver type of pad and a Cayenne that is heavy and if you drive it aggressively at all the Reds have a reputation for leaving pad material on the rotors which can cause a vibration like warped rotors. For the Cayenne EBC recommends the Yellows and that is what I'm using. It is a track/SUV pad. Capable of higher heat than the Reds but they do dust a little more, and only cost about $10~$20 more than the Reds. Now that you've got the Reds just run them and keep an eye on them to see if your rotors look like they are building up any material.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I am swapping mine out today. Powerslot rotors and pads. Had EBC blue pads that lasted about 10K miles. The rotors are at 64K miles. anything that needs to be done to 'bed" them in or just be gentle?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

Thanks for the working hahnmgh63, I just checked on the condition today. My horns stopped working, so I placed an order on line for replacement High and Low Pitch horns, but wanted to see how hard is it to get to them, so I had to a take a front wheel off to get easier access to wheel housing liner. So far, 5000k in, I don’t see any residue from Reds yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

Little Green, just clean new rotors of the oil they use to keep them from rusting. All auto stores have brake cleaning spray. I would replace brake sensors while you are at it. Also, I used some brake bad oil for the back of the each brake bad.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors