Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer tops off oil but not to MAX line

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 AM
gte
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His reason was that it causes damage to the pumps.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

During winter months, it is normal for the engine oil to become saturated with condensation/water; especially if the vehicle is not driven for long periods where the engine oil temperature can reach operating range and the moisture purged from the crankcase. For this reason, vehicle manufacturers recommend that the MAX level line on the dipstick never be exceeded. If use of the vehicle is limited to short stops and/or city driving, levelling the oil at the MAX mark is not recommended.

On the other hand, it is also recommended that if you drive long periods at higher than normal speeds (freeway,etc...), it is preferable that the oil level be topped off at a higher level. This will assure constant oil delivery and lubrication to the engine components at high rpm.

If your engine consumes oil, other factors such as frequency of oil level verification and oil burn rate will determine whether or not your oil level be topped off at a higher level.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
During winter months, it is normal for the engine oil to become saturated with condensation/water; especially if the vehicle is not driven for long periods where the engine oil temperature can reach operating range and the moisture purged from the crankcase. For this reason, vehicle manufacturers recommend that the MAX level line on the dipstick never be exceeded. If use of the vehicle is limited to short stops and/or city driving, levelling the oil at the MAX mark is not recommended.
I wonder what their definition of saturated is? I know a little moisture gets with the oil but enough to affect the level on the dipstick? I just don't see it.

Like I said, I keep mine at about 3/4 of max on the stick but it's not because I expect water to take up the rest.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I wonder what their definition of saturated is? I know a little moisture gets with the oil but enough to affect the level on the dipstick? I just don't see it.
As expected, my UOA's show very little, to trace amounts of fuel and moisture in my samples. My cars see little stop & go driving. Most of my fun runs are +300 miles at a shot. But, others here have reported levels as high as 3%. So, in a 10 or 12 quart system that's about 10-12 ounces.......unough to see on the gauge/dipstick.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
^Touareg, what's the backstory with your avatar?
I called PCNA to say the car was on fire, PCNA says no, we have never heard of that, our cars don't catch fire.

Five minutes later this is what was left.

Kidding, no clue, random pic I found years ago... Wish I had a good story!

Quick Reply: Dealer tops off oil but not to MAX line