Sponsored by:

2011 TSBs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 TSBs?

I had my car at the dealer today getting my windshield replaced and I noticed that it appears that two TSBs were carried out on my car. I picked up the car after hours, so I wasn't able to speak to anyone about it.

In any case, the two items worked on were:
- WB01 Replacing Y Shaped Coolant Hose
- WA73 Reprogram Front End Electronics

I don't know if these are actual TSBs or not or if those numbers/descriptions are the official ones, but that is what appears on my invoice.

Has anyone heard of these?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What's your model year?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

for 2011, seems interesting on the WB01 one, would love some more info from a service tech... i guess the best thing is for the OP to call the dealer in the AM and inquire about the TSB's and what vin's are covered?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Preeble
Racer

it is for 2011 and I will call tomorrow AM to find out what these were.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to know if there are any tabs. Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 207 Posts

Likewise.. would love to hear if any updates are needed. Thx.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Preeble
Racer

I spoke with the dealer - not much more information:

Y connector in cooling line - they actually didn't do this to the car yet as they needed more parts
Software change - associated with transmission and updated the ECU and some other electronic components

I tried to get more specifics, but he really didn't have any. I didn't notice anything different with the shift-points and the dealer didn't think that I would notice anyway.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Gentlemen these are the 8 current Cayenne issues.

Enjoy

Technical Information 3902

Feb 8, 2011
Use of new cardan shaft (11/11)

Model year: 2011
Information

* Document with limited validity

This Quick Information is valid until 29 July 2011

Vehicle Type:
Cayenne (92A)/Cayenne Diesel (92A)/Cayenne Hybrid (92A)/Cayenne S (92A)/Cayenne Turbo (92A)

Concerns:
Cardan shaft

Situation:
Use of new cardan shaft

Date of Introduction:

Action Required:
When carrying out repairs involving the cardan shaft, the old cardan shaft must be replaced with a new cardan shaft.

Part Nos.:

NEW/Front cardan shaft
Previous/Front cardan shaft (no longer available)

Cayenne, Cayenne (China), Cayenne Hybrid,
Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo

NEW/Front cardan shaft
Previous/Front cardan shaft (no longer available)

Cayenne Diesel

NEW/Rear cardan shaft
Previous/Rear cardan shaft (no longer available)

Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo

NEW/Rear cardan shaft

Cayenne Diesel

NEW/Rear cardan shaft

Cayenne Hybrid

NEW/Rear cardan shaft

======================================

WA73

WA73 Workshop campaign - Re-programming front-end electronics and Tiptronic control units

Model year: 2011

Vehicle Type:
Cayenne (92A)/Cayenne Diesel (92A)/Cayenne S Hybrid (92A)
Cayenne S (92A)/Cayenne Turbo (92A)

Concerns:
Front-end electronics control unit
Tiptronic control unit

Situation:
New data records for the front-end electronics and Tiptronic transmission are available for the affected vehicles.
The improvements described here have been implemented with these data records.

* Front-end electronics

If the “Lock” button on the remote control is pressed again when the vehicle is locked, visual feedback (“Flashing”) always occurs with the new data record.
With the previous data record, this only occurs when locking the vehicle for the first time.

* Tiptronic transmission

In addition to the improvements with regard to rough gearshifts (Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo) and clutch wear (Cayenne Turbo), which we are already familiar with from workshop campaigns WA54 (Cayenne Turbo) and WA66 (Cayenne S), a further increase in gearshift comfort is also achieved with the new data records.

Action Required:
Depending on the vehicle equipment, re-program the front-end electronics control unit and the Tiptronic control unit if necessary.
Information
The control units to be programmed will be re-programmed automatically one after the other as part of a programming sequence. It is not possible to program control units individually. The front-end electronics control unit is always re-programmed irrespective of vehicle equipment. The Tiptronic control unit is also re-programmed on vehicles with Tiptronic transmission.

=============================

Programming procedure Gateway control unit - Workshop campaigns WA55 and WA68

9035 Spare parts requirements for gateway control unit for model year B (2011) up to/as of week 45/2010 (93/10)

9170 Calibrating Lane Change Assist following work on the rear of the vehicle (21/10)

9449 Locking doors: Coding acoustic feedback (acoustic signal) (3/11)

1701 "High Engine Oil Consumption" Checklist

Here is a list of the actions required from the “'High Engine Oil Consumption' Checklist”:
- (1) Enter additional information about the complaint
- (2) Check oil level on the instrument cluster (dynamic/static)
- (3) Create Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL)
- (4) Measure oil quantity and read off engine number
- (5) Correct oil level and measure reference oil quantity
- (6) Oil consumption test drive
- (7) Check oil level on the instrument cluster (brief instructions)
- (8) Create Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL)
- (9) Determine oil consumption
- (10) Evaluate oil consumption
- (11) Examine the engine (visual inspection for oil leaks and engine/combustion chamber endoscopy)

4778 Spare parts requirements for brake vacuum sensor for model year B (2011) up to/as of week 45/2010 (93/10)

Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

And since I am here...

Information on engine oil consumption

Information
Causes of engine oil consumption
Every combustion engine uses a normal, system-conditioned amount of lubricating oil. Engine oil is mainly used in the following main areas:

* Pistons with piston rings (interaction with cylinder liners)
* Valve-stem seals in the cylinder head (lubricating oil used in the valve guide)
* Positive crankcase ventilation
* Turbocharger status

Pistons with piston rings (interaction with cylinder liners)/valve stems and valve-stem seals: Minute amounts of engine oil stick to the cylinder walls during each piston stroke. Some of the engine oil is used during combustion and is expelled together with exhaust gases. The effect increases as engine speed increases. For this reason, high-speed engines and turbocharged engines tend to use more engine oil than low-speed engines.
Positive crankcase ventilation: Positive crankcase ventilation carries oil spray (thoroughly atomised fuel) and feeds combustion air back in again. Here, the oil spray passes the oil separator, the main function of which is to filter the oil from the blow-by gases. Oil separation systems work best at a defined gas volume. Oil consumption can increase if the volume is different.
Turbocharger status (position of the turbocharger shaft): Engine oil is supplied to the turbocharger’s turbine shaft while the engine is running. During operation, varying amounts of oil get into the combustion gases, depending on the turbocharger status and the driver profile.

Possible causes of increased engine oil consumption

Measurement errors when measuring the oil level =>

* Vehicle is not parked horizontally. The same measuring station is not always used.
* Tyre inflation pressure is very different.
* Vehicle centre of gravity is not consistent (imbalanced load).
* Incorrect engine oil test temperature.
* Engine oil level measured too soon after stopping engine (allow sufficient time for oil to flow back completely into oil pan!).
* Incorrect reading of oil dipstick or instrument cluster.

Important and often disregarded factors relating to engine oil consumption =>

* Driver profile: Vehicles that are used for very sporty driving tend to use more engine oil than vehicles driven normally.
* Driving conditions: Frequent cold starts/driving short journeys result in a higher percentage of fuel in the engine oil (oil is diluted). If the same vehicle is then driven until it gets hot, the fuel in the engine oil evaporates and the engine oil level drops.
* Engine run-in: The components are “run in” during the first 10,000 kilometres/6,000 miles (even in modern engines). This can increase oil consumption. After 10,000 km/6,000 miles, oil consumption should level off to a lower level.
* Engine load: Engine oil consumption can increase during long motorway journeys in the summer, when pulling a trailer, or when driving over high mountain passes for example.
* Loss of engine oil: The engine is leaking and loses oil (possibly onto the underbody panelling).
* Fuel quality: Small amounts of diesel, bio-fuel (ethanol) or bio-diesel in the petrol (e.g. contamination as a result of using the same fuel tanker for diesel/petrol) affect how it enters the oil and how it is evaporated.

Consumption values for analysis purposes

Information

* If oil consumption is low, the vehicle can be driven further.

* An analysis must be carried out once the specified oil consumption values are reached.

V6

V8 S

V8 Turbo

Engine oil consumption in litres per 1000 km

1.0 litres

0.8 litres

1.0 litres

Measuring oil consumption

Measuring oil consumption based on engine-oil refilling capacity
1. Find out about the driver profile, driving conditions, condition of the vehicle, and so on (see above - interview, test drive, make enquiries).
2. Record the mileage, VIN and measurement date.
Information
Observe the basic rules for measuring the engine oil level:

* Park the vehicle on a level, horizontal surface.

* Check the tyre pressure.

* Do not overload the vehicle (maintain centre of gravity).

* Observe prescribed oil temperature.

* Wait at least 5 minutes after stopping the engine (to allow oil to flow back into the oil pan).

* Pull out the oil dipstick and wipe it off, then insert it back into the guide tube. Pull dipstick out again and read off the oil level.

* Check the engine oil level using the instrument cluster (see relevant operating instructions).

3. Measure the engine-oil level in accordance with the “Basic rules for measuring the engine-oil level” (original measurement). When taking the original measurement, you must make a sketch of the oil dipstick with the oil level marked. On vehicles without an oil dipstick, check the level according to operating instructions or as described in → 170101 Checking engine-oil level. Make a sketch or take notes.

Engine oil must not be filled above the “MAX” marking. Too much engine oil can damage the engine and is used up faster due to the dilution effect.

4. Top up oil exactly to the “MAX” marking if necessary.
5. After the customer has driven the vehicle for several hundred kilometres in the course of day-to-day driving, check the engine-oil level again in the workshop.
6. Compare the engine-oil level with the sketch of the original measurement. Bear in mind the mileage and driving conditions.
7. The amount of oil consumed is the amount of oil that must be added in order to top up the oil exactly to the “MAX” marking. In other words: oil consumption based on mileage driven since the original measurement and amount of oil added.
Measuring oil consumption based on volume measurement

Oil consumption based on volume measurement can best be measured during an oil change.

1. Find out about the driver profile, driving conditions, condition of the vehicle, and so on (see above - interview, test drive, make enquiries).
2. Record the mileage, VIN and measurement date.
Determine original quantity by recording the oil change refill quantity =>
3. Perform a complete oil change including filter.
Drain engine oil when it is at operating temperature (at least 80 °C). Make sure that the oil-filter housing is completely empty (wait 15 minutes).
4. Determine amount of oil to be filled in (new oil) to the exact millimetre and fill it in (at room temperature of approx. 20 °C). For information on changing oil, see → 170117 Draining and filling engine oil (changing engine oil)
5. After the customer has driven the vehicle for several hundred kilometres in the course of day-to-day driving, check engine oil consumption in accordance with the following steps.
Determine oil consumption by measuring the remaining oil quantity =>
6. Record the mileage, VIN and date.
7. Drain engine oil into a clean collection container when it is at operating temperature (at least 80 °C). Make sure not to lose any oil (measurement error!). Make sure that the oil-filter housing is completely empty (wait 15 minutes).
8. Let the drained oil cool (room temperature of approx. 20 °C as for first original measurement) and measure the exact oil quantity (in millilitres).
9. The difference between the original filling capacity and the amount of oil you have just drained, depending on the vehicle mileage, gives the oil consumption in kilometres.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm off to make an appointment for #7. Will be adding a 4th quart of oil in a few days. Currently at almost 1600 miles.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Possible causes of increased engine oil consumption
* Tyre inflation pressure is very different.
* Vehicle centre of gravity is not consistent (imbalanced load).
* Engine run-in: The components are “run in” during the first 10,000 kilometres/6,000 miles (even in modern engines). This can increase oil consumption. After 10,000 km/6,000 miles, oil consumption should level off to a lower level.
Surely they jest with all three of these conditions and are truly undermining the Cayenne owner's intelligence by even mentioning this stupidity.

If uneven tire pressure or an imbalanced cargo load can affect oil reading, there's definitely a problem with the design of the oil level electronics and I would definitely avoid using the cluster's oil gauge as a reference point. Use the dipstick.

As for the break-in mileage, I won't even comment on that one...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand #1. Is there a problem with the cardan shafts that were installed on these (2011) vehicles? Are they replacing them?

I can't help but wonder if the steering wheel vibration I feel is a pre-cursor of future problems.

EW-- Wow, that's a lot of oil. Turbo uses more, but since adding a quart pretty early on, it's used very little oil since.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome

EW-- Wow, that's a lot of oil. Turbo uses more, but since adding a quart pretty early on, it's used very little oil since.
Was just told to give it until 3k miles and that it's normal. Hey, if a dealer says it's "normal", who am I to argue, right?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

lots of misc stuff, i assume with a build date of feb 1st most mine should be covered, but when the dealer goes over it i assume they will check everything before delivery anyways.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was at dealer today and apparently there may be a TSB regarding door checks on the '11 Cayenne's. Problem is under freezing temps, the doors may do not latch closed. There was a customer there getting the door check(s) replaced. Said had to manually hold door closed while driving to dealership.

Quick Reply: 2011 TSBs?